Dedicated Server - Your Connection to the server timed out

Discussions and advertising of dedicated, private servers made by players, for players

Daniells

Dedicated Server - Your Connection to the server timed out

Post by Daniells » 07 Dec 2015, 02:46

Good Evening,

Im looking for some help with the LiF:YO server.
I downloaded, installed and have the server running on my Windows Server 2008 R2 box. The game has the CMD window open showing Steam Initialized.

If I connect via LAN 10.0.1.30:28000 I can see in the CMD window the connection, my computers IP and then I can log in with no issues.

If I attempt to connect via WAN PublicIP:28000 I get a "Your connection to the server timed out" message.
I also notice that the server CMD window does not show a connection attempt and my GlassWire network analyzer shows no activity from my home IP.

I have the firewall disabled on the server and the router. Its a test set up so im not caring to much about it at the moment form a firewall perspective.

When I go to the test my port sites it shows I have ports 28000, 28001, 28002 as open and responding.

On my router I have ports 28000-28002, forwarded to port 28000

What could be the issue? I want to connect to this via wan for my friends who are remote and I prefer not to use a vpn due to the performance decrease vpn's cause.

Is there any tests I can do or any thoughts on what might be the issue.

side note, my server does not show up in the Steam server list but I do see steam connecting to my server via my glasswire network analyzer.

Thanks!

HolyCrusader
Beta Tester

Re: Dedicated Server - Your Connection to the server timed out

Post by HolyCrusader » 07 Dec 2015, 14:45

Daniells wrote:Good Evening,

Im looking for some help with the LiF:YO server.
I downloaded, installed and have the server running on my Windows Server 2008 R2 box. The game has the CMD window open showing Steam Initialized.

If I connect via LAN 10.0.1.30:28000 I can see in the CMD window the connection, my computers IP and then I can log in with no issues.

If I attempt to connect via WAN PublicIP:28000 I get a "Your connection to the server timed out" message.
I also notice that the server CMD window does not show a connection attempt and my GlassWire network analyzer shows no activity from my home IP.

I have the firewall disabled on the server and the router. Its a test set up so im not caring to much about it at the moment form a firewall perspective.

When I go to the test my port sites it shows I have ports 28000, 28001, 28002 as open and responding.

On my router I have ports 28000-28002, forwarded to port 28000

What could be the issue? I want to connect to this via wan for my friends who are remote and I prefer not to use a vpn due to the performance decrease vpn's cause.

Is there any tests I can do or any thoughts on what might be the issue.

side note, my server does not show up in the Steam server list but I do see steam connecting to my server via my glasswire network analyzer.

Thanks!

You might need a firewall rule to allow ICMP protocol

Daniells

Post by Daniells » 07 Dec 2015, 15:57

The site has no firewall. Just a base Windstream DSL modem/router combo with no built in firewall in it.

Any thoughts on how to test if this is working? I can ping the site from a external source so at least that is working fine.

HolyCrusader
Beta Tester

Post by HolyCrusader » 07 Dec 2015, 16:09

Daniells wrote:The site has no firewall. Just a base Windstream DSL modem/router combo with no built in firewall in it.

Any thoughts on how to test if this is working? I can ping the site from a external source so at least that is working fine.

So you disabled windows firewall?

Daniells

Post by Daniells » 17 Dec 2015, 19:09

Twiztedmike wrote:
Daniells wrote:The site has no firewall. Just a base Windstream DSL modem/router combo with no built in firewall in it.

So you disabled windows firewall?

Yes windows firewall is disabled.

Ian-C
Zealous Believer

Post by Ian-C » 18 Dec 2015, 15:04

You might need to setup port forwarding for the port your running the server on.

Return to Private Servers