Development News #194 — The end of Life is Feudal: MMO

What are we currently working on.
Arrakis

Development News #194 — The end of Life is Feudal: MMO

Post by Arrakis » 18 Dec 2020, 18:01

Dear feudalists!

We are forced to close Life is Feudal: MMO.

  Yes, that’s it, we have to close it, and we have to do it because of the reasons that are beyond our control.
  A couple of days ago we received an official letter from a certain company that basically says that they will stop paying us our share from LiF: MMO. There is nothing much we can do in a legal way since we do not have the required funds to pay for the costly legislation in the US. Especially in a situation where our own hard-earned money will be most probably used against us.
  Back in 2016, this company was preparing its first steps as a publisher and a video games investor. From our perspective, we believed in them and thought that a publisher who is making its first steps will be more motivated and more flexible in a way how they can publish and market our hardcore niche MMO.
  It resulted in some hectic marketing and PR attempts, partly misused marketing budget, and failing to fulfill some of their obligations. In the end, we had to make our own attempt to establish operations in the CIS region, work by ourselves with a PR agency, and try to grow our own marketing department.
  We knew pretty well that there is no way we can force them to do what they had to but didn’t want to do. Thus, we’ve maintained this status quo, where we were basically left alone dealing with the game and continued our own attempts to promote it.
  This status quo persisted until recently we’ve received the communications from this company offering a certain deal. After some negotiations, we’ve realized that this deal possesses certain risks for us, and we’re not interested in it. Thus, we’ve refused their offers.
  That is when things “went south”. We’ve felt ourselves under great business, legal, and financial pressure. This pressure didn't work.
  But it also means that, unfortunately, we can no longer pay for the servers, GM, and online support and, effectively, we cannot continue updating the game. There is nothing much we can do in this situation, and we’re simply forced to close the game.

So what is going to happen next?

  We plan to bring all servers down on the 18th of January 2021 - shortly after the 3rd year anniversary of Life is Feudal: MMO release on Steam.
  Before that, we plan to release a patch with what was prepared by us before and is ready to be released. It is not a fully complete patch, but it should provide some fresh experience for you in the last days of Life is Feudal: MMO.
  Our GM team will also accept requests for aerial screenshots of your villages/towns/castles/bases. We plan to immortalize them along with screenshots of other castles from previous wipes on our site gallery.
  We’re incredibly thankful for the journey you’ve taken alongside us during those years. We’ve heard stories about friendships and families forged on the vast spaces of Avalon, Epleland, Skjultland, Buyan, Telmun, Iriy, and Godenland, and we appreciate the part we were able to play in your lives, it is a true honor. The amount of support you’ve shown to us throughout this time is incredible. We send you our limitless gratitude and apologize for letting you down like this.

  It is a powerful blow for us, but we will stand as a team, and as a family! We cannot promise it to you as “soon”, but please do expect some news from us in the not so distant future!
  We expect that you have a lot of questions - we’ll try to cover some of them below.

Can we still play LiF:MMO?
    The servers will continue to work as usual until January 18th, 2021.

Will Illa-Newydd be available?
    On January 18th, both Godenland and Illa-Newydd will be closed for public access.

What happens with our premium currency?
    You should not be able to purchase new currency, but will be able to spend the one you currently have for further purchases (such as skins, boosters, etc.)

What happens with our premium subscriptions?
    All subscriptions will be canceled. We’ve started the process this Monday and expect that all accounts will be processed by the end of this week. We recommend you check the status of your subscription by yourself and cancel it if needed.
    We also activated a free premium subscription for every account until worlds are closed.

Can we expect any refunds?
    All the refunds are processed, as usual, on the Xsolla side at https://help.xsolla.com. Xsolla has our permission for the refund of any premium currency and subscription that was done in the last 45 days (purchases made after November 1st).

Will there be a world wipe for the last month?
    There are no plans to perform either partial or full world wipe before closing the servers.

Will there be any updates for LiF: MMO?
    Yes and no. The planned update is unfinished, but we will separate the changes that we hope will provide entertaining PvP gameplay for the last days of Life is Feudal: MMO. We will provide details about this later. But since we’re forced to close the game you should not expect any updates after its closure.

Will there be any world rules update?
    We will no longer issue bans or warnings based on the PvP world rules violation. Using movable objects to get inside enemy claims will be legal again. Make sure to have a LOT of unlimited PvP fun during those last days of LiF: MMO!

Can we expect any changes in the JH/HJH system?
    We intend to set most of the active guilds to rank 1 until the worlds are closed (excluding the Christmas holidays). It should give you enough time to enjoy the carnage. The holidays JH disabling should remain unaffected.

Does this situation involve Life is Feudal: Your Own and/or Life is Feudal: Forest Village?
    No, those games remain unaffected and will still be playable.

Does this mean there will be a LiF:YO update?
    It is hard to predict whether there will be an official update for Your Own right now, due to the differences between the two projects. There is no final decision on this topic yet.

What about the LiF: MMO version that has been deployed for the Chinese market? Can we play it?
    This version is being developed in partnership with Tiancity and should not be affected by this issue. However, it is not publicly available yet. We recommend you keep an eye on updates on their site: https://lif.tiancity.com/

What about the new engine you’ve talked about on your last AMA?
    This project should not be affected by this issue and is still being developed. There is nothing much we can tell so far, but you should expect some news next year.

Once again, thank you for this adventure.

— The Team

Dorin_Eagleyes

Re: Development News #194 — The end of Life is Feudal: MMO

Post by Dorin_Eagleyes » 18 Dec 2020, 18:07

It's been fun! Sad this happened.

zeddycus

Post by zeddycus » 18 Dec 2020, 18:11

It's a real shame, we had so many projects for this game, is it possible to envisage to be able to create a small private server as for life your own ? that we can continue to make it live at our scale, until you find a solution.

Vojnomir
Beta Tester

Post by Vojnomir » 18 Dec 2020, 18:19

Well, end of an era. Get that engine done/update YO/open Chinese stuff for public, any of this, in any order)

Good luck.

Rhyzking

Post by Rhyzking » 18 Dec 2020, 19:02

such a shame for the MMO players I have never played it personally been playing your own on and off since 2014 just hoping they will not update it because every update seems to make the game worse and worse I mean yeah there are some perks with each update but i do think the other changes and addons ruin the game a little bit more with each update.

Elena.i.sh

Post by Elena.i.sh » 18 Dec 2020, 19:16

So sad guys.
We've been playing for two months only but already love the world you have created. And cannot imagine our life without it. Thank you for The Journey. Thank you very much, beautiful game

Mahtafa
True Believer

Post by Mahtafa » 18 Dec 2020, 19:37

At last

Thenissaut

Post by Thenissaut » 18 Dec 2020, 20:52

bought on the 9. Dec. and for a friend on the 11.Dec. the ZEALOT Starter Pack (on steam) --> how i can refund this.
I love the game, in few days 200+ hours and now this...
if its possible write me a PM

now im in the chat with a Agent from xsolla, she cant help....
think now the 200€ are gone... hate it atm.

in the last 2 weeks its a game that catched me... and now this...
i had so much plans with it...
best regards

Easypro97
True Believer

Post by Easypro97 » 18 Dec 2020, 21:47

Thenissaut wrote:bought on the 9. Dec. and for a friend on the 11.Dec. the ZEALOT Starter Pack (on steam) --> how i can refund this.
I love the game, in few days 200+ hours and now this...
if its possible write me a PM

now im in the chat with a Agent from xsolla, she cant help....
think now the 200€ are gone... hate it atm.

in the last 2 weeks its a game that catched me... and now this...
i had so much plans with it...
best regards

same i restarted 1 month ago and spent like 150+ euro on it already and now the game dies im really disappointed.. :no:

Knabber

Post by Knabber » 18 Dec 2020, 23:33

Thank you Bobik and team for building the Life is Feudal Franchise. While I prefer LIF:YO, I did have some pretty epic times in the MMO.

If anyone is interested in playing on an RP Heavy / PVP+PVE server, been running this one for about 2 months now. Check it out if you're intrested.

All the best to Feudalists!

~Bastion the Tyrant

Stormviðri
Direct Connect: 104.206.108.74:23035

https://www.trackyserver.com/server/sto ... new-609370

Infolandwar

Post by Infolandwar » 19 Dec 2020, 00:31

please, someone tell me it's a joke, I don't believe it, I can't believe it!

Carlito0

Post by Carlito0 » 19 Dec 2020, 05:43

Iwe put in this game about 100 EUR ,sad not for money,sad for game .it,was game N1 for me ,now i will play 7dtd ,so good game fucked ..hope y will find funds to continue yr project :) wish y all goods,merry cristmass and luck in yr life

Carlito0

Post by Carlito0 » 19 Dec 2020, 06:26

admins..try send posts to all players ..maybe y get MECENATi ,to continue....we are people from whole world :) :beer:

Jpmarquesc25

Post by Jpmarquesc25 » 19 Dec 2020, 14:03

is kinda sad to hear that bad news, but, i just wnat to say i told you.all this is the cause of being impartial, opaque and just hear the comunity that you thinks was the right. you have being warned and you see to other side and don't hear anybody else. all that lead to lekage of players and the oc lekage of money. i think you get the idea...

now i have to say this game give me a good solution for go away from some of my problems in al the time i pleyed with you, i have met a bunch of good and bad people and let me learn a lot about peoples behavior on certain stress like the actual social experiment we are sufering.

there are no other kind of game with this unique mechanics in the market so just tell you that is awesome /clap for you.

:beer: for jhon of ticket support bot to answer always with the same
:beer: for arrakis and munes for hold on us
:evil: nothing for you more than the idea and carry out of the game mr bobbik the interaction with "your" comunity was very bad, so sad about that.

:beer: for all player that play against the buffed team of the RED TFA Lovers and Conquereds. the queen of swords waits for ya broodmother, always anywhere...

:beer: life dev team for give us very good pre and post pandemic times. :beer:

Eduardomarianosilva

Post by Eduardomarianosilva » 19 Dec 2020, 14:27

Knabber wrote:Thank you Bobik and team for building the Life is Feudal Franchise. While I prefer LIF:YO, I did have some pretty epic times in the MMO.

If anyone is interested in playing on an RP Heavy / PVP+PVE server, been running this one for about 2 months now. Check it out if you're intrested.

All the best to Feudalists!

~Bastion the Tyrant

Stormviðri
Direct Connect: 104.206.108.74:23035

https://www.trackyserver.com/server/sto ... new-609370

How can i play on this server?

Eric_birk

Post by Eric_birk » 19 Dec 2020, 16:43

WIE ZU ERWARTEN WAR...GAME OVER LIF:MMO..Welcome BACK Lif: YO...... Die hätten es lassen sollen..lieber mehr zeit und Updates in LiF Your Own investieren....vielleicht kommen ja jetzt Updates und erweiterungen endlich...Einfach nur Geld Versenkt und Treue LiF Spieler vergrault...ich sage nur BACK TO BASIC....... LiF: YO

SPCFS

Post by SPCFS » 19 Dec 2020, 18:55

pussies. fight for it.

Anier

Post by Anier » 19 Dec 2020, 18:59

I am willing to pay you money for new content for LIF:YO.

I would also pay you for an "expansion", i.e. a tool that lets us create new items / houses, and makes it possible to alter existing models, and create new ones.

Williamb

Post by Williamb » 22 Dec 2020, 07:42

Hmm... 3 years. Sold out to the chinese. Well, sold out to everyone but the players.

Gonna tell us who owns the right now? or gonna keep blowing smoke up til the very end?

Gruber

Post by Gruber » 22 Dec 2020, 14:11

Arrakis wrote:Does this mean there will be a LiF:YO update?
It is hard to predict whether there will be an official update for Your Own right now, due to the differences between the two projects. There is no final decision on this topic yet.

A Year ago you promised updates for YO

"Sorry for the silence here. We are still planning on updating LiF:YO, but cannot say when exactly will that happen as we are still concentrating on the MMO development."

and here we have to read that it was a lie again.

Even in the face of the death of your overused cashcow, you still gave a sh.. about a huge part of the player base. Listening to your players wasnt your favorit anyway.
Since the open beta of MMO and a huge amount of players lost, you still refuse to listen and learn.

Based on how poorly you managed the MMO and how you treated active fanbase around YO, its well deserved...

Pfaelzer

Post by Pfaelzer » 25 Dec 2020, 05:55

It´s a pitty....

It would have been a dream to get this game for a game server..

Yes, I know, no "MMO" ... but I love the map, the athmosphere and in the case, people can buy this game too, I would pay for.

It´s sad.

Fearless
Zealous Believer

Post by Fearless » 26 Dec 2020, 17:56

Played from Alpha & spent a lot of time & money on LIF:MMO sad to hear and see this.
I seriously hope the devs work on LIF:YO now with no other distractions , I would even pay for each big new update. :good:

DeathAnxiety

Game based upon PVP Arena?

Post by DeathAnxiety » 07 Jan 2021, 05:08

This is probably one of the most if not the most unique game I've ever played. It wasn't very fun at first but after investing time in it I couldn't stop playing it. It's not fair in my opinion that this game didn't get the recognition it deserved nor the popularity. I will definitely be buying Lif: YO as soon as I can afford to do so.

An idea I had was if you all could take the pvp arena and maybe make a game solely based upon that. Thank you for this game and for the experience it has brought to my life. Memories that will never be forgotten.

Vip.luchinskiy

Post by Vip.luchinskiy » 10 Feb 2021, 16:37

Когда возрождение ЛИФ ММО!?Вам нету аналога который бы хоть чу чуть догонял вас.....Игра на столько крута что переплёвует тучу других игр даже не из жанра ММО.Так как донат не влияет на игру от слова совсем, возможности, контент, строительство и терраформинг, огромнеший мир в сетку из 144 серверв, который и за неделю не обойти вокруг да около. ПВП с нонтаргетом и возможностью захвата территории противника. Продуманая игра самим феодалом, это легенда не розкрывшая себя, и без рекламы она тихонько розвивалась, росла и падала в онлайне, она была великолепна, остальные игры отброс....

Return to Development News