Ability to Upgrade Structures

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!
Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Ability to Upgrade Structures

Post by Azzerhoden » 26 Sep 2014, 23:33

I would like to see the ability to upgrade an existing structure. Maybe not all structures, but at least things like walls. As an example, if I build a palisade, I'd like to have the option to upgrade it to a wooden wall.

I'd also like the ability to build a 'corner' on things like wooden walls, so the walkway can continue to the next section. :)
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Llandy

Re: Ability to Upgrade Structures

Post by Llandy » 26 Sep 2014, 23:38

can see where your coming from with this idea, and if it was an mmo like WoW or LOtR or some other substandard mmo id agree... but life is feudal... you dont just upgrade stuff on a whim because its not good enough.... i think being able to build what you can afford at the time is great... if you cant build a woodenwall you build a palisade instead, if you cant build a palisade you build a fence

The group of guys that im building with were talking about this the other day... i think the ability to deconstruct to "recover" some used materials that can be used to build the next level up that you want would be a much better idea. Please dont think im just arguing for the sake of it :-) :beer:

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 27 Sep 2014, 03:58

I can understand the argument the argument that the game is hard and should remain hard. However, even back when life was feudal, people still recycled things, and built on existing structures.

Making someone tear down a palisade wall, to replace it with the same wall but now with a walkway added to it isn't realistic.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

TakoMT

Post by TakoMT » 27 Sep 2014, 09:42

In that case... yes I have to agree. The ability to get an existing palisade and add the wooden walkway to it without the need to tear it down is a good idea.

Just as long as there are no 'drastic' changes to the item in question such 'add-ons' are a good idea.

GioEpyon

Post by GioEpyon » 27 Sep 2014, 12:04

i agree with tamokMT

Cotroneo

Post by Cotroneo » 27 Sep 2014, 13:49

TakoMT wrote:In that case... yes I have to agree. The ability to get an existing palisade and add the wooden walkway to it without the need to tear it down is a good idea.

Just as long as there are no 'drastic' changes to the item in question such 'add-ons' are a good idea.

I agree very much with this. Although the idea in general seems more sandbox than the thankfuly realistic aproach.. this specific example supports both, with a healthy balance. Adding a walkway onto the pallisade wouldn't even be unreasonable. Maybe only give an "Upgrade" function to specific buildings that could benefit, whilst still adhering to the realistic portrayal?

Pallisade - Construction > "Upgrade"
A Pallisade costs 5 Building Logs whereas the wall costs 2 extra logs and 5 boards. Keeping the structure standing and not tearing it down whilst putting the rest of what's required into the foundation, then using the construction option is far more realistic as your wall is still present, while you are constructing the walk way.

It'd just be a matter of what's realistic enough to add to that list of "Upgrade" friendly structures, y'know?

[Edit]: You could probably from that point, justify layering the outside of the wall with stone and turning it into a stone wall? That'd be a touchy subject though because the two walls aren't of the same height.. depth, so on.

Llandy

Post by Llandy » 27 Sep 2014, 14:56

Azzerhoden i didnt think of it like that, I just thought "right click > select upgrade > upgrade" but in that example of the palisade wall i think its a great idea provided that the foundations are able to be built upon

Return to Suggestions and Ideas