Absolute Villains: The Axis of Evil

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.
Un86Rn
True Believer

Absolute Villains: The Axis of Evil

Post by Un86Rn » 24 May 2017, 16:59

As we are all getting our chores done preparing for the MMO release, dreaming of alliances and intrigue, adventure and chivalry, I'd like to address one particular aspect that has been absolutely dominant in my way of thinking about the game recently.
Now we would all like to be the brave and noble knights and lords, lawful, just, upright and benevolent, all serving Order and Honour. However, this line of action is in fact denied from us. The most contemporary and progressive forces will recognize that the LiF MMO needs Villains.

There must be someone ready to play the most unrewarding, non-optimal role, simply because the bigger context demands that. It becomes his Duty. United by Duty, we must provide the players with an absolute enemy. This must be done not because it's profitable or sustainable, but because it is direly required by the community itself.

I'm talking about not just Organized Crime, but something a million times more sinister: think the Assassins of the Old Man of the Mountain, think of historical Thugs in India. Our alignment is inverse; the lower it is, the better. We are a source of primal Fear and a force of Terror, forcing the peaceful peasants to think of self-defence from the day one, depriving them of any comfort, attacking them with knives in the dark when they have nothing. We murder, pillage, betray, coerce - we channel as much evil as possible without it becoming a genocide and/or griefer practices. All of this - so that the server can breathe a fresh air of strife, conflict, and epic drama. All of this - because the realm needs an Enemy, a force to hate, despise and oppose, an entity to unite against. Therefore it is the choice of the enlightened and progressive to become a career, cartel Criminal. Total anarchy and chaos, the Dark Age. The real Dark Age.
An alliance of unholy guilds bound by no rules, cooperating to the disadvantage of our Prey. A vibrant emanation of pure demonic Evil, not driven by greed or avarice, but by pure malice. All within protocol, nobody gets griefed, and in the end we provide additional value to the MMO. Do not be mistaken, I'm a lawful good citizen myself, just like you are, dreaming of spreading a single united empire et cetera et cetera - but I have realised this path is closed, because Someone Needs to be The Villain. Without it, the game will soon become a stalemate of lukewarm apathy. Only the most responsible will follow, guided but by the impulse of greater good- because the More Evil, the Better, for all of us.

Return to General Discussion