Alignment scale suggestion

Have some feedback for Life is Feudal? Post it here!
AussiePastor
Alpha Tester

Alignment scale suggestion

Post by AussiePastor » 22 Sep 2014, 21:33

I would like to see the ALIGNMENT PART of the game adjusted.

Criminal action Alignment change When it occurs

Trespassing........ - 1 Trespassing on someone's personal claim and being marked by the Trespasser ability

Assault ......... - 2 Dealing any type of damage to any nonEvil and nonCriminal players

Knocking out............ - 3 Dealing damage that resulted in the knockout of any nonEvil and nonCriminal player.

If the victim was Yielding, then there is no penalty (0).

Robbery / Looting...... - 3 Looting a knocked out player or the tombstone of a dead nonEvil and nonCriminal player.

Murder...... - 10 Dealing damage to any nonEvil and nonCriminal player that results in the death of the victim.

If victim was Yielding, then the penalty is increased to (-15)

But if someone is taking time out to pray to build up a great POSITIVE ALIGNMENT, the penalties should also scale Eg.

Neutral - positive 10 normal penalties.
11- 25 addition of an extra -1 to each of the previous penalties.
26 - 35 an other -1.
35 - 50 an other -1
50 - 75 an other -1
75 -100 an other -1
101 - 200 an other -1
And so forth every 100 points -1.

So a player that has 101 alignment the effects would be...

Trespassing - 1 + -5 = -6
Assault - 2 + -5 = -7

Knocking out - 3 + -5 = -8

If the victim was Yielding, then there is no penalty (-5).

Robbery / Looting -8

Murder - 15

If victim was Yielding, then the penalty is increased to (-20).

I would keep the colour system the same so the Criminal does not know how devout the character is.

Or maybe a different colour for the MAX Points which should have some form of recognition &/or bonus.

God speed

PATRIARCH OF NEW CALVARY
Last edited by AussiePastor on 23 Jun 2016, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
Aussie Pastor
Real Life Pastor that's a gamer.

Dods

Re: Alignment scale suggestion

Post by Dods » 22 Sep 2014, 21:52

I'd like to counter with some logic I believe to be superior. Only because I've seen instances of blue murderers, "alignment hoppers", etc. I'd like to propose a HARSH system for murderers (there should be plenty of bloodshed with the war system). Then, I'd like to take my proposed HARSH system and extend it into the claim system. I'll begin with my HARSH alignment system.

How about you're either neutral, blue or red. None of this linear scaling crap. If I'm at 100 alignment and I murder someone .... I better be red. PERIOD. I don't want people to mess with the system and be able to murder someone every 15 days and walk into another town and be "blue".

If I'm at 100 alignment and I knock someone out and take their stuff .... what sort of sense does it make that I remain at any alignment near 100? Just revert them back to zero.

If I'm an upstanding citizen at 100 alignment and I physically assault someone ... I shouldn't be blasted back to zero? Because I'm literally a social deviant utilizing childish behavior in an attempt to obtain what I want and/or couldn't act like an adult.

These above instances are not "moral accidents". Where I define a moral accident as accidentally encroaching upon someone's land (unless there is a clear indication that it is personal property). There should be CLEAR consequences to ALL actions. You should NOT be able to murder someone and remain blue. PERIOD.

This system is the only way to counter blue murderers (found in Ultima Online). Let them take huge death penalties while being hunted (they'll just form large zerg groups anyway). Otherwise they should be required to perform no deviant behavior for a long period of time (50 days it sounds like) to return to normal society.

The alignment system is meant to be a benefit towards people of HIGH(or neutral) alignment (because they aren't social deviants with deviant behavior). No one should be allowed to remain blue and perform deviant behavior (it makes NO SENSE).

Also, any large claim which hides a murderer should lose it's ability to maintain the "no trespassing" rule. If a claim has a murderer's claim in their territory they should risk their entire claim by housing the murderer OR they should be able to force the murderer out.

AussiePastor
Alpha Tester

Post by AussiePastor » 22 Sep 2014, 22:03

Dods wrote:How about you're either neutral, blue or red. None of this linear scaling crap. If I'm at 100 alignment and I murder someone .... I better be red. PERIOD.

So true!
Great addition to the system.

For player that are like Knights, Blacksmiths & so forth that are RP they would not do these acts.

But if a player is trying to "PLAY" the system it would stop that instantly.

Remember in WAR time defending or Attacking you ALIGNMENT stays the SAME.

The commandment "Thou shall NOT kill"

Its about the intent eg murder.
In War you are fighting for survival defending territory or love ones.

Godspeed

PATRIARCH OF NEW CALVARY
Aussie Pastor

GrimmLiberty

Post by GrimmLiberty » 22 Sep 2014, 23:57

Dods wrote:I'd like to counter with some logic I believe to be superior. Only because I've seen instances of blue murderers, "alignment hoppers", etc. I'd like to propose a HARSH system for murderers (there should be plenty of bloodshed with the war system). Then, I'd like to take my proposed HARSH system and extend it into the claim system. I'll begin with my HARSH alignment system.

How about you're either neutral, blue or red. None of this linear scaling crap. If I'm at 100 alignment and I murder someone .... I better be red. PERIOD. I don't want people to mess with the system and be able to murder someone every 15 days and walk into another town and be "blue".

If I'm at 100 alignment and I knock someone out and take their stuff .... what sort of sense does it make that I remain at any alignment near 100? Just revert them back to zero.

If I'm an upstanding citizen at 100 alignment and I physically assault someone ... I shouldn't be blasted back to zero? Because I'm literally a social deviant utilizing childish behavior in an attempt to obtain what I want and/or couldn't act like an adult.

These above instances are not "moral accidents". Where I define a moral accident as accidentally encroaching upon someone's land (unless there is a clear indication that it is personal property). There should be CLEAR consequences to ALL actions. You should NOT be able to murder someone and remain blue. PERIOD.

This system is the only way to counter blue murderers (found in Ultima Online). Let them take huge death penalties while being hunted (they'll just form large zerg groups anyway). Otherwise they should be required to perform no deviant behavior for a long period of time (50 days it sounds like) to return to normal society.

The alignment system is meant to be a benefit towards people of HIGH(or neutral) alignment (because they aren't social deviants with deviant behavior). No one should be allowed to remain blue and perform deviant behavior (it makes NO SENSE).

Also, any large claim which hides a murderer should lose it's ability to maintain the "no trespassing" rule. If a claim has a murderer's claim in their territory they should risk their entire claim by housing the murderer OR they should be able to force the murderer out.

+1
QFT

Kosiam

Post by Kosiam » 23 Sep 2014, 01:22

I vote we as citizens are able to capture murderers and hang them until dead, which deletes their character and belongings, land holdings etc. There is no place in a pay to play game for griefers.

And Devs: if you think I will pay to play in that kind of environment, go back to school. Slap griefers on the hand? No.

Even this starting hosted server game is FLAWED as we have no recourse to protect our land and griefers run amuck, taking anything we can't carry, attacking us and when we fight back we get -1 alignment? For defending ourselves? I am thinking I want a refund of my $40 if this is 'acceptable'.

Dods

Post by Dods » 23 Sep 2014, 02:27

@Kosiam

I'm talking purely about the MMO ... Not LiF:YO. I could care less about LiF:YO except to test it for the devs. The only reason I care to test it for the devs is to have the MMO be awesome.

However, I do not believe that perma deletion of a character is the answer. Anyone who is a murderer (and continues to be a murderer) will eventually reach -1000 alignment which is 600 skill points lost ... That will take a long time to train up.

I'd like to ensure that red players cannot hide behind blue players for that training. Because it seems silly that a village can be comprised of a few blues housing murderers due to alt accounts, etc. In my opinion if you want to be a murderer be a murderer. But don't allow players to ABUSE the system and reap the benefits of said system. Any game which allows this is inherently flawed.

Also, if you aren't playing on a game server which is hosted by the company which makes this game you are opening yourself to grief. Finally, due to the authority skill not being implemented in the game you cannot claim land. This final straw means nothing is truly able to be saved. Meaning you are nearly wasting your time by attempting to "play the game" as anyone can come claim your coop, house, etc.

I've brought this up in another thread. However, if you truly want to play this game then I would suggest creating your own locked server.

AussiePastor
Alpha Tester

Post by AussiePastor » 25 Sep 2014, 12:46

You guys are talking about the Grieffers and murderers an blocking an exploit.

I'm trying to add to the benefits of trying to have a higher Alignment.

Why would you bother to try to role play a "Monk" just being around healing/mentoring/brewer etc and a Bandit wants to confront you, you let the have all your stuff (Turning the other Cheek, give them another Coat), then for him to kill you for a measly -15 Points.

-20 was my example for a 101 character.

Increase it by a factor of -2 then.

I just wanted another incentive other than having less point lost after being killed.
Aussie Pastor

Terminus_Zaire
Alpha Tester

Post by Terminus_Zaire » 26 Sep 2014, 02:46

So basically what you're saying is, if you have a higher alignment, the person attacking you loses more alignment because you are closer to God.

I like this.

To add another element to this discussion (we talked about this on Teamspeak) would be the effects of accidentally attacking a group member. This needs to be balanced between not causing an alignment loss if you accidentally hit your ally, but also prevent players from forming groups with strangers only to kill them without an alignment hit.

The trick to this might be causing a large alignment hit of -5 (-2 for assault + -3 for knockout) if you knock out a group member.

Return to Feedback Section