An Open Letter from the Duchy of Wessex

All discussions relevant to Guilds go here!
Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

An Open Letter from the Duchy of Wessex

Post by Azzerhoden » 04 Oct 2017, 17:23

For those who prefer the short version
The Duchy of Wessex has been active on various YO servers since YO launched, as well as active in the MMO closed beta phases. As LIF is a PvP game that allows full loot and the destruction of bases, there is undoubtedly hurt feelings among some players that have been involved in these past confrontations (or the current YO ones). To that end, and to follow the notable and honorable example of the Blood Vikings, The Duchy of Wessex decrees that for us, what happened in YO and the closed beta sessions stays there. Once the MMO Open beta begins, any offers to establish formal relations with The Kingdom of Hyperion will be considered and our activity within YO will wane.

For those who prefer more detail:
For the most part the Duchy of Wessex has purposely not sought out to set public standings or formerly join any alliances in YO or the closed beta for 2 reasons. The first is the belief that anything that had occurred in YO or one of the closed beta testing phases should stay there, as experience has taught us that most organizations are hyper-transitory in nature and have a lifespan equal to the world they exist in. In other words – why bother with the effort when most organizations fold as soon as the server is reset? As an organization that has existed for almost two decades, we are purposely slow in our approach to these endeavors, and we take them seriously.

The second reason is that the Duchy of Wessex is only one part of the larger Kingdom of Hyperion, along with the Silver Sun Republic and the House of Khans (formerly Deephold). When larger guilds have wanted to chat about standings I have often directed them to talk to His Grace the Doge, or His Royal Majesty. This was not an attempt to avoid saying no. The structure of the Kingdom of Hyperion has been established to provide direct accountability. His Royal Majesty, King Manus Dei is our leader. To help him lead he established the Royal council, the House of Lords, and the House of Commons. His Grace the Doge, Duke Brando De’Medici of the Silver Sun Republic, is the Royal Chancellor, and holds the Royal Seal. As such any discussion of alliances must involve one of these leaders, or with someone filling one of the other Royal Council positions, who will then sponsor the proposal to the House of Lords (for final approval). Essentially this means that any agreement I established outside of a YO instance would be null and void, as I lacked the authority to make such an agreement for the larger Kingdom.

Once the Kingdom of Hyperion is ready to start discussing political standings and alliances, a public notice will be posted on these forums, which will include the Rules of Engagement we will follow in Life Is Feudal and our public announcement of standings with those guilds we form alliances with or declare war against.

For everyone
On a personal note - Thank you to everyone I've met (virtually) with during the development of this game. I've enjoyed my time here interacting with everyone on these forums, in YO and the closed beta. I am also eager to join you in the upcoming release of LIFE IS FEUDAL!

Let the real game begin!
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Krevente
Alpha Tester

Re: An Open Letter from the Duchy of Wessex

Post by Krevente » 04 Oct 2017, 19:50

For past games we (The Kingdom of Hyperion) have been the only kids on the block choosing a deeper structure that serves to provide the backdrop to organize and coordinate our team. I'm excited to see the wider selection and opportunity out there for chances to enact some rational decision making that is much more realistic and similar to real world politics. A lot of games have pretended to include this as part of their features, but it takes players to make that really work.

Much of the Hyperion leadership is made up of folks who I would consider professionals in their various fields ranging from Military Officers and Enlisted personnel to lawyers, small business owners, law enforcement and a smattering of financial advisors (oddly specific, but for some reason we tend to draw them in ...). This makes for a group that is very level headed and desiring something deeper in our gaming experience.

What does that mean for the community? Well, for one you can count on us to act rationally and methodically like a state on an international stage and I know there are others out there like us, so I'm absolutely looking forward to the opportunities in LiF.

Return to Guilds Discussions and Politics