Bug Using Walls

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Sertak

Bug Using Walls

Post by Sertak » 22 Feb 2016, 10:18

Hi Im a Huge fan of this Game But it makes me really angry that its possible to bug above stone walls and wooden walls this BUG should be solved so fast as possible then this destroys al lot of gaming fun. The build of walls is really a time robbing crafting and its pissing really off if u think u are safe in your castle and someone jumps on your wall like its nothing !!! please fix thjis i played over 500! houers and i wanna play a lot more but thats really a big shit ok if we see it we can call the admin but if u are offline and they do this its not so cool :Yahoo!: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Sorry for the bad english

York

Re: Bug Using Walls

Post by York » 23 Feb 2016, 11:03

If you think it's bad now wait until the MMO, with exploits like the one you described LiF: MMO will quickly become known as infested with cheaters/hacker, it will receive the worst reviews and in the end new players will not even bother with it when they hear/see all the negative press it will gain.

There is another game like this somewhat called Salem, it had the most toxic community because the devs did not fix their shit, their game attracted those who enjoy causing misery towards others via as a many exploits and unfairness as possible.

If someone can't work out why this bug needs to be fixed or cant find the time to make it a priority, that they are so obsessed with pushing forward new features without fixing the old ones then their train will become derailed.

This entire game is about building your base and making it defendable, if a single bug completely bypasses everything you can do to defend yourself then there is no game.

Laertes
Devoted Believer

Post by Laertes » 23 Feb 2016, 11:32

York wrote:... with exploits like the one you described LiF: MMO will quickly become known as infested with cheaters/hacker, it will receive the worst reviews and in the end new players will not even bother with it when they hear/see all the negative press it will gain.

So YOU are the guy with the flux capacitor ... :shock:

:Bravo: If it´s too hard, you are too weak.

York

Post by York » 23 Feb 2016, 14:14

Laertes wrote:
York wrote:... with exploits like the one you described LiF: MMO will quickly become known as infested with cheaters/hacker, it will receive the worst reviews and in the end new players will not even bother with it when they hear/see all the negative press it will gain.

So YOU are the guy with the flux capacitor ... :shock:

:Bravo: If it´s too hard, you are too weak.

Seen it before, will see it again, its not exactly hard to work out why a lot of players would complain about hackers and exploits when there are hacks and exploits that haven't been fixed since the game began, the entire logout/login process is a quick and easy job and hasn't been addressed since the beginning.

And what's being hard got to do with anything? It's a bug. Not to mention you haven't actually commented on the exploit itself or what this thread is about, you have come in here and made a useless post in pathetic attempt to make yourself feel bigger than you actually are.

Wiz12268

Post by Wiz12268 » 23 Feb 2016, 15:03

"hardcore" PvP games have no chance to succeed anyway, and ones with hacks and cheats and exploits are ones that wont even keep a niche following for too long.

The game is already a griefer paradise and if more people were left playing it there would be more griefers as well, but the populations have plummeted (again) the last few weeks and so many servers have shut down (and not restarted) its pretty telling.

This last patch just exemplified the issues with the development of this game.

The excuse of 'theyre working on the MMMO' is getting sort of lame at this point. Game has been broken since the update went through which was around 75 hrs ago, there has been a single sentence in regard to the issue, and that was around 24 hrs ago.

This looks like another one of those awesome potential games that for many reasons wont work out. More than likely because its too expensive to fix things than to hope people accept a broken product.

York

Post by York » 23 Feb 2016, 16:37

I hope not Wiz, the problem with the entire hackers thing is once it begins there will be hackusations everywhere towards everyone for everything, especially when no hacks are used, it will last for months and still pop up even years later, especially in a game like LiF where a PvP loss is pretty personal and harsh (skill loss).

There is nothing more annoying than being beaten because the other player basically cheated.

Laertes
Devoted Believer

Post by Laertes » 23 Feb 2016, 17:18

But they gave us the /STUCK-Command. Why should something like that become implemented, when it is a bug? What did "Bug above Stone walls" mean? A stone wall gives you no security at all, cause there are still enough ways to enter an strange Settlement (esp. if there´s no one inside defending it for a few hours).

I don´t say it´s none - but I can´t be as sure of that like you.

And there´s no JH in MMO (like bobik explained in an interview some weeks ago). So yes, I also imagine that there will be some griefers in MMO for the first weeks (or maybe later some few Noobs which don´t mind about alignment), but at last they will have to pay more than just a bloody price i think.

York

Post by York » 23 Feb 2016, 17:36

Laertes wrote:A stone wall gives you no security at all

Exactly the point, it should

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 23 Feb 2016, 21:00

What do you mean by exploits and hacks?

Before we go there though, if you think you will be safe behind walls, then think again. No walls will keep you safe. What will keep you safe is the skills to defend yourself, as well as the skills of your guild mates to keep you safe.

The game also has a fairly punitive alignment system, where killing someone who is 'red' will inflict real pain on them. Especially with a 1x skill multiplier and low end food. I had forgot how painful leveling up on a 1x server can be. Now imagine loosing 200+ points in skills because 'Your A PK'.

Anyhow, back to the use of 'exploits' or 'cheats'.

This is a game of PvP. Some of the current in game tactics for getting over walls will go away, but will be replaced by other, intentional, in game tactics. Climbing is supposed to be in the game (search on the word climbing in this FAQ). Ladders will be added to the game (again, search the FAQ).

Currently it is possible to jump on the back of a horse, and use the skill 'pounce' to get over a stone/pallisade wall. It is also possible to use the terrain to jump over a wall. Finally, the one that seems to bug people the most is the ability to use a floating log(s) to get over a wall.

IMO, any in game mechanic used to get over a wall is a legitimate tactic. Even floating logs, as these have to be carried in much the same way someone would carry a ladder, or a chest, or a host of other in game constructed items that could be stacked/floated to allow a player to get over the walls. If you disagree then you should post it on Mantis as a bug to be fixed ( I quickly searched but only found a single issue about palisade walls not actually being pointy).

To reiterate, I'm not trying to argue about what is an exploit/bug/hack, just trying to point out that what you consider cheating is not cheating in the eyes of other players. I couldn't really care less as I'll play the game either way. I will go back and point to my first paragraph that in a game of PvP, the only true, safe game play will be found in towns/villages with dedicated soldiers who are 'on guard' against would be criminals.

That, IMO, is what practical role-play is all about, and why LIF is so much fun to play.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Laertes
Devoted Believer

Post by Laertes » 23 Feb 2016, 22:04

York wrote:
Laertes wrote:A stone wall gives you no security at all

Exactly the point, it should

No!

York

Post by York » 23 Feb 2016, 22:11

It all brings us back to that question, why have walls at all if they can be bypassed so effortlessly, why have siege weapons and a skill line which is designed to knock walls down, when you can just drop a log and jump over.

The exploit in question is the standing by the bottom of a wall, logging out, and logging back in, where you will now be on top of the wall.

I get the palisade one, it's a cheap fence and using horses to jump over it, no matter how lame the tactic is, is an encouragement to upgrade to taller stone walls, but again it comes back to the above issue, doesn't matter if they are palisades, stone walls or castle walls, the latter of which take considerable effort to build, they can just log out/in to bypass it.

Half the appeal to this game is the base building, and creating a strategic layout in terms of walls and defences, it promotes cooperation, project management, and longevity.

If the above exploit makes into the MMO version, how do you think players are going to feel after spending day/weeks even months building an awesome base with walls and defences, just for a bunch of guys to come along, exploit over the walls and kill/destroy. Its an unfair situation and players will feel they have been wronged.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 24 Feb 2016, 16:48

York wrote:
The exploit in question is the standing by the bottom of a wall, logging out, and logging back in, where you will now be on top of the wall.

Agreed, that is not a game mechanic, that's a game limitation that should be fix. Don't know how though, without completely rewritting how players spawn into the game.
York wrote:I get the palisade one, it's a cheap fence and using horses to jump over it, no matter how lame the tactic is, is an encouragement to upgrade to taller stone walls, but again it comes back to the above issue, doesn't matter if they are palisades, stone walls or castle walls, the latter of which take considerable effort to build, they can just log out/in to bypass it.

See, I don't get that one. Now if you took damage going over the wall, from either hitting the pointing end of the wall or from landing on your feet or from falling off of your horse when it breaks its legs making that kind of jump, then OK. Otherwise, no. The incentive to building a better wall should be the increased structural strength of the wall.

Regardless, the standard method of going over a wall is either a ladder or a rope. Neither of which are in the game. So logs and furniture are good RP alternatives.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Rrashintoast
Beta Tester

Post by Rrashintoast » 24 Feb 2016, 16:57

This is an easy fix, if the devs wanted to fix it.

Just make it so if a player logs in on a claim that is not his own, and he hits a Wall or a Gatehouse, he will die on impact. Or be moved to the edge of the claim. :)

Its an easy fix really.

BUT,. climbing skill, or maybe having to craft certain ropes or something to get onto a wall should be possible. (maybe with the fear of falling, and falling would damage the character greatly).

Also gates should be locked with Keys, so should doors on houses. (these keys should be stealable too.)

Return to General Discussion