Can I see the map into game?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

SaresITA89
Alpha Tester

Can I see the map into game?

Post by SaresITA89 » 13 Feb 2014, 13:17

Hi,
i played many game that they did not have a map into game.

This is because they wanted to promote exploration. But the all players see the map on internet.

Mortal , Rust , Xsyon , etc..etc..

imho, I think that this is bad. Do not insert the map is useless if the players they see on external web sites.

For me, you might as well put it into game WITHOUT the arrow that indicates where we are.

YES map:

I play the game; I press "M" I see a map; I press "M" I return into game.

NO map:

I play the game; I press "ALT+TAB" I see a map ;I press ALT-TAB I return into game. this is very very useless.

Bobik
Project Leader

Re: Can I see the map into game?

Post by Bobik » 13 Feb 2014, 13:31

SaresITA89 wrote:...
YES map:

That is how it is already working. And ye, you can see your own position there. But no coords or anything yet.

We need that map to show active guilds monuments (aka cities/villages) and their holders name/helardry to represent current global political situation.

PrimusPalus
Alpha Tester

Post by PrimusPalus » 13 Feb 2014, 13:35

I would much rather have you craft one based upon your exploration.

So, I enter the world and I hit M. It shows me everything within 100m. If I walk around, it plots more of the map revealing it for me (as if the map has a fog of war effect).

The more exploration I do... the more the map opens up to me. The more I venture into other territory the more I learn about their politics, war status, etc.

That's the best idea for this type of game in my opinion than just giving me everything up front.

Maybe even add the ability to buy parts of the world from merchants or other players.
Captain J. Shields
Commanding Officer
24th Marine Expeditionary Unit

SaresITA89
Alpha Tester

Post by SaresITA89 » 13 Feb 2014, 13:40

Bobik wrote:
SaresITA89 wrote:...
YES map:

That is how it is already working. And ye, you can see your own position there. But no coords or anything yet.

We need that map to show active guilds monuments (aka cities/villages) and their holders name/helardry to represent current global political situation.

This is wonderful news!

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 13 Feb 2014, 13:42

Ofc it is nice and immersive and all, but it is quite a complex feature and having at least a small part of the map opened will allow you to position yourself in the Alt-Tab online version of community map.

tl;dr
A LOT of work to implement, easily bypassed, not that necessary.

finalreview
Alpha Tester

Post by finalreview » 13 Feb 2014, 13:46

I would love to see an interactive updating map. First time character enters world from starter area his map is all fog of war. Then terrain reveals as you move to new areas (100sq ft around your character or so), and marks guild monuments upon discovery. Then eventually when that stone is destroyed or moved you have to discover the new location. Would make things a bit more interesting. Seems like it would be very complicated to produce though.

Raxx
Alpha Tester

Post by Raxx » 13 Feb 2014, 13:49

Fog of War is totally unneccesary. when they added it to DF UW it was simply just annoying having to alt tab to online map instead of pressing M

SaresITA89
Alpha Tester

Post by SaresITA89 » 13 Feb 2014, 14:03

finalreview wrote:I would love to see an interactive updating map. First time character enters world from starter area his map is all fog of war. Then terrain reveals as you move to new areas (100sq ft around your character or so), and marks guild monuments upon discovery. Then eventually when that stone is destroyed or moved you have to discover the new location. Would make things a bit more interesting. Seems like it would be very complicated to produce though.

This thing is nice, but useless.

The work for this type of map, it will be rendered useless with an alt + tab and you can see a total map on internet

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 13 Feb 2014, 14:18

Personally I like to actually know where I am going without having to google or spending half a month playing Magellan.

Sting5

Post by Sting5 » 13 Feb 2014, 16:30

Bobik wrote:That is how it is already working. And ye, you can see your own position there. But no coords or anything yet.

Great news! I was hoping to suggest representing geopolitical information on the map, but thought it to be too hard to program into the game as such. Still many forum members cry for more realism, so no map required etc. (as in Navigation topic: navigation-t693/).
QUAERO TOTUS

Virdill
Alpha Tester

Post by Virdill » 13 Feb 2014, 21:44

Why not create a map in the style of a map geo / political affiliations, without fog, but instead of a precise position indicator as in the classic MMO, you could insert a marker in the form of a ring to indicate our position in a vague way, and one skill to increase or decrease the diameter of the indicator
Sorry for my bad English

finalreview
Alpha Tester

Post by finalreview » 14 Feb 2014, 08:28

Well would be simple to do political map with the game already knowing the exact border of all realm claims. Kind of ruins any hope to have a hidden base in a remote area though.

CrypticKiller

Post by CrypticKiller » 19 Feb 2014, 20:00

I like the idea of having a map in the game so you can see where you are and can navigate without having to alt+tab all the time.

Protunia
Alpha Tester

Post by Protunia » 19 Feb 2014, 20:12

Well a map would be nice, But I think you should not be able to see what is there unless you have been to that area.

In other words you see the map main features, land and terrain, but nothing player made like villages, castles, terrain changes, etc...

If the map shows players villages automatically then that would give away positions and remove some of the exploring to find out who is where.

Unless the object is not to explore and have risk and danger at all and just know where everyone is located for quick and easy access.

Roycelbaker

Post by Roycelbaker » 27 Feb 2014, 17:20

I like Protunia's idea, show only what you have explored excluding structures. just terrain. Also having to craft a map would be more realistic and promote exploration.

SaresITA89
Alpha Tester

Post by SaresITA89 » 27 Feb 2014, 17:36

Roycelbaker wrote:I like Protunia's idea, show only what you have explored excluding structures. just terrain. Also having to craft a map would be more realistic and promote exploration.

Protunia wrote:Well a map would be nice, But I think you should not be able to see what is there unless you have been to that area.

In other words you see the map main features, land and terrain, but nothing player made like villages, castles, terrain changes, etc...

If the map shows players villages automatically then that would give away positions and remove some of the exploring to find out who is where.

Unless the object is not to explore and have risk and danger at all and just know where everyone is located for quick and easy access.

This

Bobik wrote:Ofc it is nice and immersive and all, but it is quite a complex feature and having at least a small part of the map opened will allow you to position yourself in the Alt-Tab online version of community map.

tl;dr
A LOT of work to implement, easily bypassed, not that necessary.

Roycelbaker

Post by Roycelbaker » 28 Feb 2014, 20:28

I could watch that GIF all day. I love when Tyrion tells that little brat how it is.

SaresITA89
Alpha Tester

Post by SaresITA89 » 01 Mar 2014, 14:09

Roycelbaker wrote:I could watch that GIF all day. I love when Tyrion tells that little brat how it is.

:beer:

Return to General Discussion