combat speed and range combat

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Copperfield

combat speed and range combat

Post by Copperfield » 13 Apr 2014, 11:53

Hi,

i saw the new ingame vid about LIF..

Is the movement speed gonna be same as in that vid?

Is LIF gonna be more like FPS.. or mount and blade combat?

I preff FPS :P

Also what kinda range combat will there be? magic? arrows?

Arrakis

Re: combat speed and range combat

Post by Arrakis » 13 Apr 2014, 11:56

LiF combat system is based on Mount & Blade directional attacks/blocks and parrying. And range attacks are with bows and crossbows, this is not fantasy game so no magic at all. And movement speed will be as you've seen it.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 13 Apr 2014, 13:37

FPS meaning?

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 13 Apr 2014, 15:47

Siegbert wrote:FPS meaning?

FPS= First Person Shooter.
Examples- Call of Duty, Arma, Battlefield, Planetside 2.

I think what he means to say he is a "twitch" style gamer. Which would include such games as Mount & Blade, Mortal Online, Darkfall Online.

I for one am glad there is no magic, in this game. I am so tired of either magic being OP, or just sucktastic.

And to the OP, no there will be no magic.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 13 Apr 2014, 16:10

And why should a mmorpg be played like a fps? You have swords and shields and stuff, no AK74s...

Psychobilly
Alpha Tester

Post by Psychobilly » 13 Apr 2014, 16:19

Siegbert wrote:And why should a mmorpg be played like a fps? You have swords and shields and stuff, no AK74s...

Obviously didn't play darkfall 1... very twitch skill oriented mmorpg, much like an FPS except it allowed 3rd person view for melee combat. Super fast-paced and super-fun (and super flawed, but still fun).

Mortal Online is an MMORPG, but it is much closer to a FPS than it is to any typical WoW-clone (i.e. all first person, all skill based aiming).
Bows and crossbows are the 'shooter' part in LiF. Doesn't matter that it's not a gun.

The most fun MMORPG's I have ever played, played like FPS games.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 13 Apr 2014, 19:10

Psychobilly wrote:Obviously didn't play darkfall 1... very twitch skill oriented mmorpg, much like an FPS except it allowed 3rd person view for melee combat. Super fast-paced and super-fun (and super flawed, but still fun).

Yeah, I've seen that and I find it really inappropriate for that kind of setting.

Mortal Online is an MMORPG, but it is much closer to a FPS than it is to any typical WoW-clone (i.e. all first person, all skill based aiming).

Actually it's very close to Mount&Blade in combat mechanics so I fail to see the differentiation here.

Bows and crossbows are the 'shooter' part in LiF. Doesn't matter that it's not a gun.

Bows are in M&B as well, so where's the differentiation between the two styles?

Cunk

Post by Cunk » 13 Apr 2014, 21:30

Yeah, I'm confused about the OP's distinction between FPS style and M&B style as well.

Maybe he's talking about 1st person vs. 3rd person (which is typically how one plays M&B).

Elindor
True Believer

Post by Elindor » 14 Apr 2014, 03:51

People throw terms like FPS, twitch, etc around so much its hard to know what anyone is really meaning anymore.

LiF combat system will be very much based on Mount and Blade Warband combat system, which is the following:

- very highly skilled
- rather fast (not quake fast but RL fast)
- easy to pick up, hard to master

One thing I have noticed is that the LiF system may be a BIT slower than MB:Warband, but older videos make it look slower and newer ones from alpha make it look fast, so assuming its the latter.

Hope that helps.
Realism is the key here...and visceral medieval hand to hand combat was pretty intense.

SaresITA89
Alpha Tester

Post by SaresITA89 » 14 Apr 2014, 06:43

Cunk wrote:Yeah, I'm confused about the OP's distinction between FPS style and M&B style as well.

Maybe he's talking about 1st person vs. 3rd person (which is typically how one plays M&B).

FPS= First Person Shooter. (only frist person)

There is only one mmorpg fantasy FPS, it is Mortal Online.

Darkfall, mount&blade, life is feudal and tera are action combat.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 14 Apr 2014, 10:08

SaresITA89 wrote:
Cunk wrote:Yeah, I'm confused about the OP's distinction between FPS style and M&B style as well.

FPS= First Person Shooter. (only frist person)

There is only one mmorpg fantasy FPS, it is Mortal Online.

Darkfall, mount&blade, life is feudal and tera are action combat.

So, it's only about the perspective?
You can play Mount and Blade in first person view, actually some people do. I choose first person view for archery or muskets.
LiF is the same thing speaking of perspectives...

I still fail to see what kind of distinction the mere camera angle makes when it comes to combat....

Isn't the important part about combat more how quickly you can move and what you need to do to hit and block?

So in that sense I put tera, Dark Fall, ESO in one category; M&B, Chivalry, WotR, LiF, MO in another.

The first one is about running and jumping around quickly, easy one-click spam attacks, easy and almost irrelavant blocking, shooting stuff outta your ass like it's DragonballZ; the latter is about realistical, slow movement, about thinking where you strike so you don't leave your guard open, about timed and precise blocking/parrying.

Protunia
Alpha Tester

Post by Protunia » 14 Apr 2014, 10:16

First person shooters are usually games with weapons like GUNZ! :D

But twitch combat is pretty much the same for a lot of games that you use the mouse to control where you shot or strike. Unlike button mashers and RND combat where you have to hit buttons or hope the RND gods are in your favor to land a blow.

In most Twitch games hit boxes are used to determine a successful strike against your opponent whether you use a laser, bullet, sword, arrow, etc..

Copperfield

Post by Copperfield » 14 Apr 2014, 20:17

maybe i put things a bit wrong in my op

But im talking about overall speed combat..

Since everyone is comparing games here..

i enjoyed darkfall 1.0 alot.. the combat was perfect in some sence.

So i was wondering what kinda combat speed LIF has to offer..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG6QDsAfLTQ

that is speed of darkfall 1.0.. combat wise

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 14 Apr 2014, 20:48

Well, since this is no where near a realistic sword fight I'd say "no thanks"

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 14 Apr 2014, 20:52

Well this has not much to do with realism Copperfield, and in LiF devs want to show as much realistic combat as possible. That means blows with heavy swords like one on that video will be slow and heavy, naturally that is how man handled such weapons in medieval times.

Copperfield

Post by Copperfield » 14 Apr 2014, 21:07

k thanks..

ill keep my eye on this game tho.. prolly will try it when it comes out..

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 14 Apr 2014, 22:15

Arrakis09 wrote:That means blows with heavy swords like one on that video will be slow and heavy, naturally that is how man handled such weapons in medieval times.

This statement right here drives me nuts.

Just because a weapon is big does not mean it is slow. Ask John Duke of Bedford in the Battle of Verneuil, he often used a pole-axe in combat, and was quite fond of them. Which most likely looked like this on the end.
http://www.myarmoury.com/view.html?feat ... eaxe03.jpg

And was most likely attached to a 1.5m-2m long haft.

If you think these guys are moving slow then you have some serrious issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvJvMSqXdWM

I will say this, having fought with a polearm, and a great sword, they are anything BUT slow. The only thing is they require more energy than fighting with a sword and a shield. You are using far more of your body to do most of the work and getting a total body workout.

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 14 Apr 2014, 23:26

SLOW comparing to these crazy mmo's with big-ass fantasy swords. And I really doubt anyone would swing nearly 2m sword as fast as you say anyway. :)

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 15 Apr 2014, 06:11

I don't think the guys in this video use real weight swords... I once held a rapier in a shop and was surprised by how heavy it is. Most games and movies depict it as it was a wooden stick.

Anyway, I think we agree that real sword fighting looks nothing like Darkfall... I don't even know why people think it's a valid idea to play a game that drives for a realistic medieval approach in terms of aesthetics and movement and than jump around like in Quake3.

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 15 Apr 2014, 08:22

Siegbert wrote:I don't think the guys in this video use real weight swords... I once held a rapier in a shop and was surprised by how heavy it is. Most games and movies depict it as it was a wooden stick.

Anyway, I think we agree that real sword fighting looks nothing like Darkfall... I don't even know why people think it's a valid idea to play a game that drives for a realistic medieval approach in terms of aesthetics and movement and than jump around like in Quake3.

The weapon regulations for the HMB, Battle of Nations teams are as follows. Directly from their site.

2.4.1. Bladed weapons:

- single-handed swords, sabers, broadswords – up to 1,600 g;
- falchions – up to 1,800 g;
- long (total length is up to 1,400 mm) swords, sabers, broadswords – up to 2,500 g;
- two-handed bladed weapons of the XIV-XVIIth centuries – up to 3,500 g

2.4.2. Polearms: - single-handed: axes – up to 1,300 g, maces and six-flanged maces – up to 1,000 g

a) Important! The length of a cutting part of an axe blade should not be less than 7cm!

b) Important! All the maces and six-flanged maces can have ONLY wooden handles and no sharp edges!

- long axes and other similar weapons (with a total length of not less than 1 m) - up to 2,300 g.
- two-handed: halberds, glaives, poleaxes and similar weapons (with a total length of more than 1,400 mm) - up to 3,000 g.

Real one handed swords weigh around 2-3lbs, or about 900-1400g, which is LESS than the swords used in BotN.

Hand a half swords, or "bastard" swords, rarely got over 2kg, which is less than 5lbs. While some of the Zweihander swords would get up to 3kg-3.6kg. But even then that is still WELL south of heavy when used two handed. And considering those swords were often between 150-170cm long! That is a pretty light weapon.

The sword you handled must have been a parade sword, which were heavy, and not at all useful.

Here is one of my sources on two handed swords.
http://www.thearma.org/essays/2HGS.html#.U0zqDldvqwQ

And same site for single handed swords
http://www.thearma.org/essays/weights.htm#.U0zpD1dvqwQ

Most of the "swords" handled by the public at museums are parade swords or replicas of parade swords and are quite heavy. A real sword is light and dangerous. The sword was the top of the food chain when it came to killing people. It was designed for that purpose and only that. And it does it extremely well, this is why the sword is still in use to this day, in some nations.

Sorry Siegbert to get all preachy on you but unless you have the arm strength of a child, no real sword should be heavy in the hand of an adult male. Hell my 11-12th century XI Berber style sword that I own weighs less than my 2 1/2lb dead blow hammer.

And yes we agree on the point real sword fighting is nothing like DFO or MO.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 15 Apr 2014, 09:19

I didn't ask what kind of sword it was. Might very well have been a parade sword.

Return to General Discussion