Constant Relocation Help

Welcome to the Life is Feudal: MMO community! Here you can ask your basic starters questions.
ETEl2NAL407

Constant Relocation Help

Post by ETEl2NAL407 » 14 Oct 2014, 01:26

As I've been getting the hang of this game and getting comfortable with new mechanics as my skills progress, I find myself discovering more and more about what makes a good place to settle.

Unfortunately, getting to that level of knowledge means I have settled an area somewhat already and spent time there learning and crafting. So, when I discover the area's flaws in regards to long term settlement, I am prone to relocation.

What tips would you give me to avoid this?

Should I prospect areas before I start to inhabit them to ensure they have all the resources I'll need?

Is there an easy way to scout these areas on the map before even travelling to them? I know how to scout clay, but can any ores be scouted that way too? I notice red/orange marks in hilly/mountainous terrain...Is that copper?

Does restarting/creating a new world make ore deposits change? Are those even random or are they set?

Ontrose
Devoted Believer

Re: Constant Relocation Help

Post by Ontrose » 14 Oct 2014, 11:07

Hello,

about locations:
The world is not random generated. It is always the same, no matter how many times you start over the server.

The only "resource" on the map is Clay (that brown "scratches").

Ore is not really rare. you can be rather sure that every mountain/hill got some kind of ore hidden in it. You might have to dig a bit more then on the better spots.

Cant tell about gold and silver though, never found/searched it to be honest.
But Copper/Iron is available in big veins about everywhere.
You just have to prospect it properly.
How its done in a good way is hard to explain. Its like a triangular (doh... no im missing the english words ^^' i try to explain it).

you have like 6 fields like this:

_ _ _ _ _ _ (use the observe mode under terraforming)

you search the outer edges with a certain PROSPECTING range.
like:

6 _ _ _ _ 10 (changed the _ for the number)

which means,

6 _ _ _ _ 10
\ /
\ /
\ /
X

about the X will be your ore (underground) the 6 and 10 are the outer edges, where you can prospect the wanted ore. You need to perform a triangular "search" routine, damn! really dont get the word right now, to pinpoint how much you have to dig down and where to dig.
Normally you need a third point (since its 3D not 2D) to make it properly, but since its an ore vein, you will most likely hit it like this too. A bit of a guessing game ;) but once you get used to it, its not too hard.

Best regards, Ontrose

ETEl2NAL407

Post by ETEl2NAL407 » 15 Oct 2014, 00:38

Oddly enough. I understood that. Thank you.

I believe the terminology you are looking for is "triangulate" as to obtain enough information about a location based on the differences of multiple known surrounding locations.

So, you suggest to mine on a hillside.

If the map is static in terms of features, that would mean there may always be somewhat of a walk to a mine, regardless of settlement spot.

Unless the smaller hills have ore veins...

Is it safe to assume any hill of relative size would have all forms of ore somewhere inside it? How big would this hill really need to be?

Ontrose
Devoted Believer

Post by Ontrose » 15 Oct 2014, 07:41

Poorly enough, the spaces got deleted ;D on my "picture" ;D

6 _ _ _ _ 10
_\_ _ _ /
_ \_ _ /
__\ /
_ _X

should have been more like that ;)

Well, as far as i saw it, every hillside with rocky area on it got ores. Did not test/try all locations yet...
But i DID find some ore below a coastline and in the middle of the field, though i had to dig a bit.

I dont have a map here, or i would mark some pots right away from my mind...

On my building spot, its like 3 Fields out of my Townwalls...
Mhm, can only talk about copper an iron... I found it about on every rocky "hill".
Cant talk about gold/silver... never found it.
But many times, copper and iron run next to each other or even share the same block. Had it quite some times, that i mined both ores on one mining action.

FearTheAmish

Post by FearTheAmish » 15 Oct 2014, 15:01

ETEl2NAL407 wrote:Oddly enough. I understood that. Thank you.

I believe the terminology you are looking for is "triangulate" as to obtain enough information about a location based on the differences of multiple known surrounding locations.

So, you suggest to mine on a hillside.

If the map is static in terms of features, that would mean there may always be somewhat of a walk to a mine, regardless of settlement spot.

Unless the smaller hills have ore veins...

Is it safe to assume any hill of relative size would have all forms of ore somewhere inside it? How big would this hill really need to be?

Not all but most, i have found it on the large mountain the hills and even some valleys. Also remember this game does not reward Jack of All trades. It might be a better idea to focus on what is in your area and trade for whatever you need.

Return to Newcomer Section