Construction skill gain

Have some feedback for Life is Feudal? Post it here!

Essemecks

Construction skill gain

Post by Essemecks » 13 Oct 2014, 11:58

While I've seen other posts asking HOW to raise the construction skill, I haven't really seen any outright saying it like it is: there's something very wrong with construction skill gain. It seems like someone moved a decimal point one or even two places to the left. Without a mallet (because a mallet requires materials from forging and farming, which requires construction 15, so you can't assume that players will have one), you're left with wattle fences. They give roughly .07 skill gain per fence at default skill gain.

Yep. .07. For an action that, including gathering the branches, takes several minutes to complete. In the time it takes to get construction to a single point, I was able to get terraforming from 0 to 60. In the time I've spent trying to raise my construction to 15 to place an anvil, my friends have gotten a tier beyond me in their respective skill trees and are now waiting on forging, which requires that anvil. It's a bottleneck that has gummed up our whole server, and there's simply no way this can be working as intended.

Please make this a priority. I'd suggest 10-15x the skill gain on wattle fences, which is pretty in-line with the skill-gain rate vs time of other tier 3 skills.

Uno

Re: Construction skill gain

Post by Uno » 13 Oct 2014, 15:56

Problem with all construction skills is that they benefit in xp from the number (and probably quality/tier) of materials you are attaching to the construction.

wattle fences provide too few skill gain, agreed. Probably because the "ingredients" needed are considered very low tier (and are also few in numbers despite 10 branches take as long to be collected as 300+ stone). With 20 int you have to build a 4x4 fence (for your farmer so he can later produce glue :) ) to get to 15 construction at 10x skillgain and then with a single forge and anvil built you jump to 40 and gathering the mats for the forge and anvil takes no more than the 140 branches for the aforementioned fence.

Fluffypinkbunny

Post by Fluffypinkbunny » 17 Oct 2014, 19:55

you can gain skill by building, the forge and anvil, but not finishing it, just putting the parts in it, then deconstructing them.

Tiba666
Alpha Tester

Post by Tiba666 » 19 Oct 2014, 13:11

Essemecks wrote:While I've seen other posts asking HOW to raise the construction skill, I haven't really seen any outright saying it like it is: there's something very wrong with construction skill gain. It seems like someone moved a decimal point one or even two places to the left. Without a mallet (because a mallet requires materials from forging and farming, which requires construction 15, so you can't assume that players will have one), you're left with wattle fences. They give roughly .07 skill gain per fence at default skill gain.

Yep. .07. For an action that, including gathering the branches, takes several minutes to complete. In the time it takes to get construction to a single point, I was able to get terraforming from 0 to 60. In the time I've spent trying to raise my construction to 15 to place an anvil, my friends have gotten a tier beyond me in their respective skill trees and are now waiting on forging, which requires that anvil. It's a bottleneck that has gummed up our whole server, and there's simply no way this can be working as intended.

Please make this a priority. I'd suggest 10-15x the skill gain on wattle fences, which is pretty in-line with the skill-gain rate vs time of other tier 3 skills.

try to get good food so you get food gulity Multiplier. think it was 1.5 FQM and you need around 1000 brances or a bit lower in planks and that is not that hard think it more smeling there need to be balance like make 100 lumps give the same exp as 100 ingots so every one train smelting in lumps :)

Tiba666
Alpha Tester

Post by Tiba666 » 19 Oct 2014, 15:09

GavinMcStine wrote:
Tiba666 wrote:try to get good food so you get food gulity Multiplier. think it was 1.5 FQM and you need around 1000 brances or a bit lower in planks and that is not that hard think it more smeling there need to be balance like make 100 lumps give the same exp as 100 ingots so every one train smelting in lumps :)

Wrong, it's 2000, your playing on a 1.5 or 2x training server. the mmo will be at 1.

Also you can't make good food without the cooking skill which requires the coop for training animal lore. So you unlock procuration so you can train it up to 30 before unlocking cooking. And you can't make the coop without construction 50.

Please play the game by yourself instead of relying on others for items you can't get to train up skills before posting that things are ok.

im playing at 1x so no i m not wrong o.O no im playing on this one http://gyazo.com/8b7f1284557edd117540030acbd0aaa8 so no im not wrong what was you FQM ? because if you have low FQM that why it slow o.O
with apples alone you can get it up to 1,5 FQM

Tiba666
Alpha Tester

Post by Tiba666 » 20 Oct 2014, 07:17

GavinMcStine wrote:
Tiba666 wrote:i'm playing at 1x so no i m not wrong o.O no im playing on this one http://gyazo.com/8b7f1284557edd117540030acbd0aaa8 so no im not wrong what was you FQM ? because if you have low FQM that why it slow o.O

It's still wrong, I'm getting 0.075 at 1.1 FQM, as the skill increases your skill gain will decrease. Also even if it's 1000 branches at 5 seconds a branch is about an hour and a half of branch collecting not including the time spent moving from tree to tree, time spent making (and disassembling, if you want) the wattle fences.
In your first post you said less of a requirement if you use planks. You can't use planks. In your second post you want a faster way to train smelting, smelting is a very easy skill to train so I wonder if anything you say is true.

smelting is base on timer and construction base on the weigh of the item i think smelting is way to fast and do oak trees find one around 80-90 ql oak tree the have around 120 branches you can make wine press the need planks to be build right?

Nextactus

Post by Nextactus » 04 Nov 2014, 04:22

Tiba666 wrote:
GavinMcStine wrote:
Tiba666 wrote:i'm playing at 1x so no i m not wrong o.O no im playing on this one http://gyazo.com/8b7f1284557edd117540030acbd0aaa8 so no im not wrong what was you FQM ? because if you have low FQM that why it slow o.O

It's still wrong, I'm getting 0.075 at 1.1 FQM, as the skill increases your skill gain will decrease. Also even if it's 1000 branches at 5 seconds a branch is about an hour and a half of branch collecting not including the time spent moving from tree to tree, time spent making (and disassembling, if you want) the wattle fences.
In your first post you said less of a requirement if you use planks. You can't use planks. In your second post you want a faster way to train smelting, smelting is a very easy skill to train so I wonder if anything you say is true.

smelting is base on timer and construction base on the weigh of the item i think smelting is way to fast and do oak trees find one around 80-90 ql oak tree the have around 120 branches you can make wine press the need planks to be build right?

Hate to tell you but wrong again as the wine press needs nails to make...which needs a forge and anvil...which needs 15 construction...wattle fences are once again the ONLY thing you can use to lvl early construction....

Vamyan

Post by Vamyan » 04 Nov 2014, 09:46

Nextactus wrote:Hate to tell you but wrong again as the wine press needs nails to make...which needs a forge and anvil...which needs 15 construction...wattle fences are once again the ONLY thing you can use to lvl early construction....

Sorry to butt in... but with the wine press, you can at least hammer in the 7 softwood boards then deconstruct. I haven't actually tested this to see what kind of skill exp you get for those boards though...

Jaxomadar

Post by Jaxomadar » 05 Nov 2014, 12:47

As with most complaints about the skill progression it is all server based. On a x100 server I built 1 furnace and got 70 skill. Do one fence 50 skill.

On the x10 I primarily play on it was 30 fences to get to a point where I could build the next thing I needed. Not a big deal to me, but I want the grind. If I could find a good x1 or x2 I'd play on it, but for now I stay on the x10 its where most of my friends play. So we all grind what needs to be done. Its also got a 900 cap on skills so we have alts.

IMO those that find the grind too much need to go play on servers with the higher gain values, or learn to just accept that some things will take a long time to get to.

Vamyan

Post by Vamyan » 05 Nov 2014, 19:35

Jaxomadar wrote:If I could find a good x1 or x2 I'd play on it, but for now I stay on the x10 its where most of my friends play. So we all grind what needs to be done. Its also got a 900 cap on skills so we have alts.

IMO those that find the grind too much need to go play on servers with the higher gain values, or learn to just accept that some things will take a long time to get to.

Agree 100%. I've been spending the last couple weeks on my own x1 2k cap server (since I'm by myself and don't feel like swapping to alts all the time I set the cap high)

In my opinion, the game is a lot more fun when played like it's meant to be played.

I wouldn't mind a little company on it though, but preferably off in their own little corner of the island and not interfering with my wonderfully terraformed (100 terraforming skill on an x1 server... INSANE!) plot of land... If anyone's interested in showing up, shoot me a pm.

Eve

Post by Eve » 14 Nov 2014, 03:39

Essemecks wrote:They give roughly .07 skill gain per fence at default skill gain.

Try eating some food... You can pretty easily get ALEAST 1.0 multiplier instead of the .50 you start with, and that .075 becomes .15...

Yeah, I know it is still quite a grind to get your construction skill up.

But I don't think that construction is too difficult to get up, it's that every other skill is too easy...

And once you get to 15, the rest is easy...

If skills are too easy to raise, there would be no point in specializing in any skill at all, you can just change professions daily... Which is pretty easy to do anyways once you get 5 ingredient food and have a 5.5 multiplier...

I don't even understand the point of playing a server that has 5-10x skill progression... You should be playing an FPS FFS..

Mojstermiha

Post by Mojstermiha » 14 Nov 2014, 11:48

Jaxomadar wrote:As with most complaints about the skill progression it is all server based. On a x100 server I built 1 furnace and got 70 skill. Do one fence 50 skill.

On the x10 I primarily play on it was 30 fences to get to a point where I could build the next thing I needed. Not a big deal to me, but I want the grind. If I could find a good x1 or x2 I'd play on it, but for now I stay on the x10 its where most of my friends play. So we all grind what needs to be done. Its also got a 900 cap on skills so we have alts.

If you come to the official server 32 that has 1x, I’ll give you a few mallets and tier 4 food to bring up your multiplier :)

It will bring up your food quality multiplier to about 3 making it almost as fast as 10x server. And with mallet you can start paving roads to train construction from level 0.

PS.: Goes for anbody, just PM me. We need more players. No strings attached, you can form your own community, no need to join me.

Now that I posted this, I think I may even open another “invite” thread:)

Return to Feedback Section