Craftsmanship insignia

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

En_Dotter

Craftsmanship insignia

Post by En_Dotter » 03 Dec 2013, 00:39

Hey all i got a little suggestion that by far shouldnt be in the top priorities but at one point might add a little renown to individuals and/or clans when it comes to crafting armors and weapons.

My suggestion is that every craftsman could place his/her individual (or clan) insignia on the crafted item. It would be something small but it also be a signature of the person that crafted that item. You can see those things today on various items (trademarks and stuff like that), and they were used in the past as well.

Now why would you wanna implement such a small thing into the game? Why is this worth suggesting?

Lets put it like this. If i were to be a solo player and i kill a guy and take a weapon from him i wouldnt really care who made it. I would just be really happy i got a good weapon and thats it. But, if im a member of a clan and i find a high quality sword or bow and i see the insignia on it, then i would like to contact the craftsman who made it to order some weapons for my clan mates as well.
This would make crafting skills more valuable and craftsmen of skill would be able to make a decent living of selling their top quality stuff.

Now you might ask why just not use players name as an "insignia" - Short sword (crafted by En_Dotter)? Doesnt it sound and look a bit silly? Wouldnt this be more awesome:

(left no insignia, aka Short Swrod (forged by En_Dotter); right with insignia, aka Short Sword)

How to implement this? Well now this is a bit tricky. There are several ways of doing it. One would be to leave the special place for insignia for every item that can get a custom texture (like heraldry in m&b) but i think that would be a bit annoying. Other way is to use decal system (correct me if im wrong but i think decals are small texture changes that happen when you interact with stuff, like bullet holes in walls right?). So bind a decal place to a certain part of a weapon and there you go.
This would also need some kind of insignia generator. There are 2 ways of doing this - player uploadable insignias or you can make a generator that has shapes, letters and things and we could combine those. The 2nd mechanic would need to have the ability to tell u "you cant use this insignia - someone else is using it" if you manage to form exactly the same one as someone did before you.
I would also like to suggest that crafting really high quality stuff should be really hard.

What you guys think about this? Do the craftsmen need some love as much as warriors have? I say yes ;)
Last edited by En_Dotter on 03 Dec 2013, 06:36, edited 1 time in total.

Cian
Alpha Tester

Re: Craftsmanship insignia

Post by Cian » 03 Dec 2013, 02:35

OMG YES!!

My solution if Bobik doesn't want to try to do a bunch of custom insignias then perhaps you could do one of two things.

1. It stamps with the insignia representing the clan that person is in and the name of the crafter

or

2. Bobik has a set of 20-30 preset insignias to choose from and then the name of the person in inscribed underneath it.
Lord Cian Khan
Baron of Deephold,
Gul Khan of House of Khans
Great Khan of the Tribal lands

HOUSE OF KHANS
http://www.houseofkhans.com

HOK DISCORD
https://discord.gg/NRB3DR3

En_Dotter

Post by En_Dotter » 07 Dec 2013, 13:01

So guys... Is anyone reading this or you just dont like it or u dont wanna comment?
Id like to see more comments here if possible. ;)

Dailato
Alpha Tester

Post by Dailato » 07 Dec 2013, 13:41

I like the idea, but since I've never really seen any significant weapon customization in any MMO, I'm thinking there's some serious limitations to what can be done and how taxing it is on the systems.

I've always wanted more customization on what things that you craft look like, and how they function as a result, but just something small like a unique personal symbol is also nice.

In short though I think that it's probably far more effort to get something like this to work, than it's contribution to the game overall is worth.

Yours truly -The Pope

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 07 Jan 2014, 17:24

Unless you can completely customize the insignia then there is no point. You'd have to put it on every item since every item can be crafted or at the very least the option to put it on every item.

Everyone's going to craft something so you would need to have the ability to import the pic from outside of the game. This may work for the inventory icon of the equipment but probably couldn't modify for example the weapons actual texture as you hold it.

Overall I think it would be an excessive feature that should only be considered once the games core has been made as good as possible.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 07 Jan 2014, 17:29

For high-level items a tooltip bearing the crafter's ingame name would suffice, if the devs feel like implementing such a feature.

Antiblitz

Post by Antiblitz » 08 Jan 2014, 05:42

Look at any game out there that lets you create your own insignia, you will notice nearly 9/10 insignias are explicit in nature. Though the idea is great, giving people the tools to make swords with genitalia or girls getting plowed from behind is not exactly ideal. It sounds great until in practice, then you realize it was just unnecessary coding.

Nothing like buying swords from the neighboring swordsmith, oh he didnt tell you? his swords are engraved with his coat of arms, two dicks crossed over a girls ass with a helmet on top and some heraldry strewn about it.

En_Dotter

Post by En_Dotter » 08 Jan 2014, 11:27

Eeeer...
cRPG uses custom banners and i dont see those kind of naked stuff you are saying. Also if you want to make it historically accurate you could always look at one of the Hungarian gentleman's coat of arms:
Late 17th century, Istvan Varallyay used this coat of arms. If they didnt see the problem back then why would we find one now?
Dont try to google him cus there is not much about him. I found out about him in one of heraldry books and for example wiki only offers the coat of arms and basically no text about him.

Anyway its not hard to have a few community members in charge of approving/disproving usage of custom insignias. How?
I upload my insignia. I cant use it before mod (or whatever the name we use for that community member) approves it. If it is approved its good. If not you get a message why it isnt and do it again with a fix.

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 08 Jan 2014, 11:45

Yea it can be moderated, c-rpg is a good example. This would be the community for graphic artists to take requests or maybe the devs should employ an artist.

Antiblitz

Post by Antiblitz » 08 Jan 2014, 14:55

En_Dotter wrote:Eeeer...
Anyway its not hard to have a few community members in charge of approving/disproving usage of custom insignias. How?
I upload my insignia. I cant use it before mod (or whatever the name we use for that community member) approves it. If it is approved its good. If not you get a message why it isnt and do it again with a fix.

Im not going to approve over 50,000 insignias, and i dont think anyone is going to sit in a room doing it. It will take ages. A reporting system is a better idea, for anything that seems explicit. But even so, you are asking for it. Crpg does have its share of bad banners, it always has, and the developers no longer care to do anything about it, probably tired of the repeated offenses of non historical banners.

http://forum.melee.org/general-discussi ... al-banner/
I dont think non crpg players can view the screenshots, so you will have to just take my word for it. These dont even touch how many bad banners their are. Take for example Semenstorm clan, a rain cloud, raining semen, with an armored semen knight. Or Menstrual Monsoon clan, im not going to bother explaining that one.

This is the old banner, but you get what im saying.
ImageImageImage

Even if they arent offensive, every immersion/realist/roleplayer is going to cry about Dwayne Johnson, or some other crap being placed on their swords or armor.

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 08 Jan 2014, 17:47

Those are a minority even in a community filled with trolls like c-rpg. As I said it can be moderated in many different ways. Developer or community artists could create or take in requests. Reporting is a given this is a forum after all. I always took clans like semen storm as a joke anyways.

I'm not a role-player and I prefer freedom in my sandboxes. If people decide to try and be funny that's there call.

En_Dotter

Post by En_Dotter » 08 Jan 2014, 17:54

I am not denying the posibility of "abooz", but i have also forgotten why i mentioned cRPG in this context. There is a limited "supply" of custom banners in cRPG.
In order to get the custom banner you need to do the auction and pay for it (sometimes a silly sum, sometimes quite a lot, and other times its just silly how expensive it is) - it is not free.
Most of the banners are there to promote a clan and not to troll.

Ofc trolling will occur no matter what we do, but if we dont want abuse and/or trolling then we cant play video games. Ppl will always find a way to "exploit" game mechanics to show genitalia. Should most of us be punished because of a few?
For stats it would be enough to have say 50 premade insignias (im sure community would contribute) and maybe 50 custom slots.
Will it be that hard to add 2-5 insignia moderators that would filter those files?
I would alone be able to check more than 100 in an hour, and i would apply for that position the moment this idea is approved. Looking at devotion of Arakis im sure he would do the same. ;)

Lets talk constructive criticism here, and not "there will be retards in the game so this is bad". ;)

Antiblitz

Post by Antiblitz » 08 Jan 2014, 19:45

that is my criticism, its giving people the rights and ability to do it, and they will do it. Look at any mainstream game, CoD, Battlefield, whatever. Any game thats ever included insignias uses the same system, report it if you dont like it. But when literally thousands of players have it, it becomes tedious, and not worth the time to develop nor go through an approval list. On top of that, all they do once its reported is move something around the picture, or add something random and its back up and running again. I just dont think its worth it, its never used properly for the right reasons.

Secondly, each individual item would then have an item code beyond the normal steel sword, or iron sword. Why put additional load by wanting to have personal insignias on what could be hundreds of thousands of different items. Is it worth it?

En_Dotter

Post by En_Dotter » 08 Jan 2014, 20:19

How come in cRPG every Heraldic Mail has the same item code and tons of different textures?
They just made a certain part of the texture to take the banner into account. Its not even that much hard to make. Also there are other items in other mods (and mod mods for cRPG) that add heraldry for the lance weapon type. Every single item that can have heraldry has the same item ID (and warband has the worst possible item ID code in the universe...).

One more thing about penis, vagina, tits and asses. I did mention "approval basis". So if you, say, bought an insignia "slot" (lets call it like that) and u want to put ur custom insignia it would go thorough moderator. If moderator denies the 1st one you can try again. And lets say you are bloody stubborn and want your penis there. Moderator would deny you the custom insignia right for 3 months.
Shouldnt be that hard (i think).

Also there are formations in this game. Why wouldnt some clan constantly take a penis formation to attack a city gate and take vagina formation vs cav and titties formation vs archers?
If ppl want to have all secondary sexual characteristics they will do them. Dont you think ppl wont make walls shaped as "yo momma ass" or something similar and troll ppl: "Welcome to Yo Momma Ass city!"
Game already allows vivid graphical display of those things IF WE WANT TO. Will you report someone for having city walls or village palisade shaped as a penis?

Antiblitz

Post by Antiblitz » 08 Jan 2014, 22:41

What i am saying is related to the same thing as naming a sword, the adding of heraldry like in crpg is done completely differently. Those are just overlays that are added based on a group. Adding an insignia which will forever stay with that item, like a name would be to a person creates a specific ID number for the item beyond the normal Iron Sword (ID#1), the same ID as every other iron sword in the game. Now each sword is unique because of its insignia, giving a ID like Iron Sword (ID#1A1), an ID which is specific to that sword only, the next sword will have a different ID given that it has a different insignia.

Secondly, It wouldnt make much sense to buy an sword with an insignia one month from a creator who had a nice lion head on it, then the next month he switches his insignia to some male genitalia or something not even explicit but something like an elephant. Maybe you wanted the lion head, now you have an elephant, all because you decided to bring the same poor system crpg has. Lastly, You also shouldnt have to purchase a heraldry to embed a insignia on your own weapons, that sounds silly.

Worldsprayer
Alpha Tester

Post by Worldsprayer » 29 Jan 2014, 08:25

What about it becoming a perk of becoming journeymen and then master craftsmen? Then, only the higher tier items that higher tier craftsman makes would be eligible for insignia. A master smith for example didn't care about every sword he made, but a commissioned weapon that he toiled over and was unique would get a mark. Then, have every craftsman when he becomes a certain rank have the ability to access an in game editor where he can make a basic drawing inside a certain space, and then have the different levels of craftsmen get more lines and effects for more intricate marks. That symbol could be placed on a sign outside a smiths shop, and then say a soldier salvages a fine blade, sees the mark, and later encounters that smiths shop. That's my thought.
Service is Glory
Death in Service
Death is Glory

En_Dotter

Post by En_Dotter » 11 Jul 2014, 20:38

Reviving the thread since there has been a lot of talk about banners and similar things. Plus, we got a lot of new members so i would like to see their feedback as well.

Riboy98
Alpha Tester

Post by Riboy98 » 11 Jul 2014, 21:22

Good idea but i realy don't want to see the dicks and vaginas in game

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 12 Jul 2014, 09:01

It's not like we are not going to see our fair share of dicks ingame anyways...

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 12 Jul 2014, 11:55

Dicks on coat of arms did actually exist.

Honzadr

Post by Honzadr » 12 Jul 2014, 12:04

Ancient Romans had huge dicks out of dried clay hanged on front walls of theyre houses :D

Wigster600

Post by Wigster600 » 13 Jul 2014, 17:25

Love the idea of a craftsmans insignia, it could be used to identify potentially stolen goods in a house raid by lawmen. :D

Artaus
Beta Tester

Post by Artaus » 16 Aug 2014, 02:02

In Wurm Online, if you examine an item, it states who it's crafted by. I don't see why you couldn't do it here?

"The sword is finely crafted. On the hilt you see the insignia of the crafter... Aneirin

Return to Suggestions and Ideas