Crash [Mutex] ?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.
Rarp

Re: Crash [Mutex] ?

Post by Rarp » 03 Oct 2014, 17:36

EvilFLiNT wrote:7 in 2 days? Luxury!

You shouldn't be complaining about that ... its Alpha.

There is a difference between complaining and reporting a bug. This is reporting a bug.

I personally am running a 3930k/16GB RAM/R9 290X and this happens to me a few times a day.
ImagejoinToRemoteServer("lif.nightswatch.ca:28000","")
The Night's Watch is recruiting!
Web based skill calculator

Haggun

Post by Haggun » 29 Oct 2014, 16:27

Mutex can't be locked too long, it's a possible deadlock

Zhalls
Alpha Tester

Post by Zhalls » 29 Oct 2014, 17:06

In my experiences, I've noticed a very consistent trend in those people who experience frequent mutex errors, and those who do not: bandwidth.

Bandwidth either resulting from lack of bandwidth available to them via their internet provider, and some measure of throttling resulting from key ports not being forwarded. I highly recommend that you forward your Steam ports, as should be the case for anyone who plays online games via Steam. This is a no-brainer. Next you need to seriously consider forwarding your LiF ports, which will result in a clear and present channel of communication between you, Steam, and your YO server. Also, a no-brainer.

Some responses I've had from people who I've tried to explain this to, and who do not want to open their ports are the following: "I don't want to use too much bandwidth" or "I'm not comfortable messing with my router settings". My respinse to you is that a) you need to learn how to be comfortable changing your router settings, and b) opening a port for an MMO does not mean excessive bandwidth use, it only means un-inhibited communication.

Various port forwarding guides can be found all over the internet, including your router manufacturers website. It's very easy. I highly recommend learning.

The following are ports you need to forward:

STEAM, TCP & UDP, 27000-27050
STEAM, UDP, 4380
LiF:YO, TCP & UDP, 28000-28002

Please keep in mind that 2800-28002 is the DEFAULT server port that people use when setting up their LiF server. If they changed it to anything other than Default, then they need to inform their playerbase that they changed it so you can forward the correct ports. Also note: whatever the LiF:YO server port is, always forward it, AND the following consecutive ports proceeding it. Example. if they use port 28000, then you need to forward port 28000-28002. If they designate port 19474 for their server, then you need to forward ports 19474-19476, etc, etc.

I hope this helps those of you that are experiencing problems. For those that this does not help, then you need to figure out what else is unique to your system that is causing these errors, because it is 100% assured that only some people experience these constant mutex errors. It is not a wide-spread pandemic for all users.

This issue might be due to rendering issues, which are present thus far in alpha, and will be present until addressed in later release builds of the game. A sure fire way to drastically reduce your FPS, thus, removing a heavy burden off the shoulders of your graphics card and CPU is to turn off shadows. Shadows take an immense amount of GPU/CPU power to process in any game, and are often one of the #1 culprits for FPS loss.

You can turn off shadows via the in-game console window by using the following command:

$pref::Shadows::disable = true

Cheers

Return to General Discussion