Feedback artwork/ in-game assets

Have some feedback for Life is Feudal? Post it here!
Barlin
True Believer

Feedback artwork/ in-game assets

Post by Barlin » 25 Aug 2015, 22:39

Before I start with my feedback I really want to thank you guys for your hard work. I understand how hard it is to create a game. Life is Feudal is a great project and the work done so far is pretty good :good:

BUT .... yeah here comes the BUT... ;)

This goes to your Environment-Artists and Art Director. Please redo the 3D-models of the buildings. They are fine as placeholders in an alpha-staged game, but not as final props.. Especially the "wooden windmill" is really really bad looking. The model is an utter waste of tris/polygons !!! It probably uses the same amount of tris/polygons/resources as 30 (?) "stone wall" models...
With the same amount of tris you could build a much more detailed windmill... even with half the number of polygons...

(Btw. I googled "wooden windmill" and found your reference picture. It has boards at the upper half - perfect for tileable texture, so why did you use all those polygons ...? :( )

The windmill-models don`t feel like they could work... please look deeper at the functionality of windmills. Concepts/quick sketches would probaply be really helpfull....

On the other hand, other assets do need more tris/details - for example the "stone tower", "stone gatehouse", "stone walls" .... add same real 3D-Stones at the edges and use it in combination with a tileable normal-map and it looks much better... (not the best example but the first that came to my mind - http://stars01.de.tl/Gothic-3.htm )

The windows of the buildings look bad. Not every window needs glas... especially not if you want to create a medieval atmosphere !

If you want to use glas-windows, please do same research (google medieval glas-references). cgtextures has good free medieval glas-window textures :)

My point is: It is really great news that your game supports now DX11 - but if the artwork can`t keep up it doesn`t really matter !

Sorry for the harsh feedback. I love the LiF-project. But as someone who did some 3D-modeling in the past I couldn`t help but say something...

p.s.: I like the new character models. But why do they all have dirt on their bodies ? :D

Return to Feedback Section