Flattening on a slope

Welcome to the Life is Feudal: MMO community! Here you can ask your basic starters questions.

SirDoctor

Flattening on a slope

Post by SirDoctor » 10 Oct 2014, 02:38

Ive googled around, read the terraforming guide, and tried searching the forum, and havent been able to get a definitive answer to my problem.

Im trying to build two walls around my house and to avoid teraforming everything to the extreme, Id like to flatten on the slope and build the wall following the existing terrain.

Ive tried having the cells drop by different regular amounts, .2, .4, .5, etc, and nothing works. I tried having the cells next to them at the same height and that didnt help either. Flattening the cells just drops it by .1 every time.

Sorry if this has been covered, but Im running out of ideas. Thanks for any help you have.

Somerlot

Re: Flattening on a slope

Post by Somerlot » 10 Oct 2014, 05:06

When you perform the flattening function. Its using the tile you are standing on as the base elevation to flatten to. So if you are standing on 2.6 and the tile you are trying to flatten is 2.9, it will take 3 times to lower the elevation to 2.6 and then the final flattening will actually make it flat.
For placing walls on slopes this is how I do it:
This way will prevent you from having a wall that is floating in mid air.

Start flattening from the lower terrain. After you flatten, place the wall but do not complete the construction.

Now proceed to the next tile going up hill. Make sure you are standing on a tile that is roughly the same height as the tile you are wanting to flatten -cuts down on time.

After its flat you will notice that it partially covers the wall prep you placed on the lower cell. This is ok because when you construct it, it will just come through the ground. Always go from lower to higher elevation.

If this is confusing it might be easier for me to explain in game, just let me know.

SirDoctor

Post by SirDoctor » 10 Oct 2014, 19:40

I think I get what you are saying and will give it a try this weekend. The server Ive been playing on is regularly filling up now, so I definitely want to start setting up proper defenses. haha Thanks for the help!

SirDoctor

Post by SirDoctor » 11 Oct 2014, 23:57

So ive got it working now, but anything I try to build on the flattened area doesnt show. I got through the animation of building, but when it stops, there is nothing.

Darius
Beta Tester

Post by Darius » 12 Oct 2014, 00:31

After the construction animation stops, what does your system message tells you?
Try terraform->observing, is the square that you want to build on green, white or red? You need a green square to be able to build.

SirDoctor

Post by SirDoctor » 12 Oct 2014, 02:03

No message pops up or comes through the system message area after the construction animation. I have everything flattened and green where im trying to build, so Im not sure whats wrong.

It lets me build on the very lowest section of the wall, where there are two squares flattened at the same height, and then rendomly let me build on one square higher up, but it wont build in either direction when the height changes aside from that
Last edited by SirDoctor on 12 Oct 2014, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.

SirDoctor

Post by SirDoctor » 12 Oct 2014, 02:19

Heres a link showing whats happening

http://youtu.be/bh_maBxH-_U

Somerlot

Post by Somerlot » 12 Oct 2014, 04:04

That one tile you were working on in the video. Was it Flattened "with a slop" or just flattened? In the video it looked sloped to me. If it was "Flattened" start the animation of building then open and watch the console. See what kind of messages you get in there.

Rynea

Post by Rynea » 12 Oct 2014, 12:29

The problem is the direction of the wall. For some reason certain directions of sloped wall pieces are not placeable/foundations are not constructable in this direction. If it shows the other direction it works.

Edit: Yeah just checked it with a friend, its the same issue as the one with stone walls. I added an update to the bug tracker with the issue:

0001529: Stone Walls on Slope Bug

Return to Newcomer Section