Free Roaming tameable Animals like Wurm Online

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Everettham
Alpha Tester

Free Roaming tameable Animals like Wurm Online

Post by Everettham » 26 Apr 2016, 06:21

In Wurm Online you can have tamed animals that move around. You can rope them and put them in your own fenced off area. As well as breed them etc. Do you think they would ever in the future add this. It just makes the world feel so much more alive then clicking on your barn and pulling out a cow deed.
Do you think it would be to server demanding or might they add this in the future for the MMO? I'm not talking about right away say less then 5 years from now.

Cista

Re: Free Roaming tameable Animals like Wurm Online

Post by Cista » 26 Apr 2016, 06:35

Small clarification here: tamed animals in Wurm do not move around. When you tame an animal, it will stand still forever, unless a) you drag it with a rope, or b) it enters a fight, or c) you free it by taming another animal.
Animals in enclosures move freely around in Wurm, because they are basically wild animals that happen to be in an enclosure. Some animals have to be tamed to be roped, others can be roped freely without taming. When breeding two animals you rope one of them and bring them in close proximity.

I am not very familiar with mob AI in LiF. In order for you to have freely roaming animals in enclosures like in Wurm, the animals need to be freely roaming in the wild also. The AI needs to be there, or else the animal would not know what to do when released in a pen. If wild animals in LiF are indeed roaming freely, it should not be too much of a problem having them in a pen.
But if they are pathing inside a certain spawn area, then you cannot transfer the animal to somewhere else, it would get bugged. (And they of course also need to be able to bounce off fences when they meet them).
Last edited by Cista on 26 Apr 2016, 06:48, edited 2 times in total.

Everettham
Alpha Tester

Post by Everettham » 26 Apr 2016, 06:38

Thanks for the clarification. Well I hope they eventually make animals function like that. Would be way more immersive. I'm not even an RPer at all and I would greatly prefer it.

Cista

Post by Cista » 26 Apr 2016, 06:40

Yea! It's not roleplay, it's content!

Btw in Tree of Life it works more or less like in Wurm also. There you literally carry the animal (like a big sack of potatoes), and wherever you set it down, it will begin roaming freely from there (as far as I can see).

Dragmar
Zealous Believer

Post by Dragmar » 26 Apr 2016, 06:50

For immersion and RP, yes please!

Im just afraid that the LIF community wouldnt do well with such a system. It would be way to easy for any random passer by to kill off all your animals while you sleep. Like now, the biggest sin any new player can do is leave a horse standing free on the claim. Yes, no one can steal it, but you can be sure someone will come by to kill it.

It would be nice to get a middle ground, where you could have animals walking free if you want, but you could also "hide" them in the barn, as the current system, if you feel that you can't protect them while roaming free.

Everettham
Alpha Tester

Post by Everettham » 26 Apr 2016, 06:54

Ya I have played Tree of Life harder to get used to because of the graphics good game though. Ya for the most part Tree of Life have that feature too. I just hope the reason Life is Feudal hasn't added it yet. Is because it's hard to implement. Would be amazing to see this feature added sometime in the future. Not necessarily right away but at least in a couple years. I'd honestly be fine even if the animals didn't even move around just stood there in there pens unless you moved them. That would be a heck of a lot better then a animal deed.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis » 26 Apr 2016, 06:58

As you name it, it would look better to have tamed animals in the open doing their buisness. But I think that the player does on average have too many to let them walk around in the open. Animals were precious and expensive in the past and not everyone had one, espacially not in high numbers.
At least for me, walking pass a single house + barn + 20 cows would rather look like modern day farming and breeding and way more cash then the house is worth. And since players always tend to go "max" having max ammount of animals run in the open in front of the door would kill the immersion for me.

Everettham
Alpha Tester

Post by Everettham » 26 Apr 2016, 07:00

Dragmar wrote:For immersion and RP, yes please!

Im just afraid that the LIF community wouldnt do well with such a system. It would be way to easy for any random passer by to kill off all your animals while you sleep. Like now, the biggest sin any new player can do is leave a horse standing free on the claim. Yes, no one can steal it, but you can be sure someone will come by to kill it.

It would be nice to get a middle ground, where you could have animals walking free if you want, but you could also "hide" them in the barn, as the current system, if you feel that you can't protect them while roaming free.

Dragmar I think they could make it like Wurm. With locked gates and such for the animals. That it would at least take some time for them to kill them. Actually you could just put alignment in for people killing someone elses animals. I think it would work they would have to do it right though.
I think the perfect middle ground is to have drawbacks for hiding your animals. Could be very small drawbacks like 2% slower breeding or something like that.

Ubaciosamse
Beta Tester

Post by Ubaciosamse » 26 Apr 2016, 07:04

If you have a detailed suggestion make sure you leave it at http://lifeisfeudal.com/Discussions/latest
It's easyer to track there and those suggestions actualy get concidered when it's their turn :) Make sure to make it as detailed as possible so people that vote for it can actualy be sure they are voting for what they want :)

Airco

Post by Airco » 26 Apr 2016, 08:21

i have seen this request for roaming animals pas before, if i remember it correctly the reason current animals are standing stil and not present on the ground in a pen is becouse it would add a pretty huge amount of data.
imagen a player that is going for farmer and he has lets say 10 chickens walking around in a fenced area, breeding them ect
add 4 sheep and 2 cows , lets keep it a small farmer
16 animals of wich the server would have to calibrate the AI of where the animal wants to go and how it walks ect. this adds a huge workload to the server, for 1 player its not a big a deal, bhut when u get 10 players to do the same its already 160 animals in this small example.
if i am not wrong its this extra workload why dev has not done this yet, personaly i think it wil be added eventualy (atleast i hope it wil be added eventualy, a animal standing still is so 20th centuary)
tree's move bye the wind creating a better immersion of the game and than u see animal's... waiting for u to come over and tame or kill them
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark2
Cpu: intel I5-4690 3.5Ghz
Cpu cooler: thermaltake Frio Extreme Silent 14 Dual
Mem: Corsair 16gb, Cmy16gx3m2a2133c11r
Gpu: Geforce 970, Asus STRIX GTX970 DC2OC 4GD5
Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Z
HD: SAMSUNG 75E250RW SSD 850 EVO 250 GB

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 26 Apr 2016, 16:34

I completely agree, 100% with the OP.

Please vote for these proposals:
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Cista

Post by Cista » 27 Apr 2016, 06:44

The enevitable tendency for players to hoard many animals can be countered by slight penalties. In Wurm, you have to keep the number of animals on your claim under a certain limit or you risk more stillbirths and bad traits will occur.

Everettham
Alpha Tester

Post by Everettham » 27 Apr 2016, 21:18

Cista wrote:The enevitable tendency for players to hoard many animals can be countered by slight penalties. In Wurm, you have to keep the number of animals on your claim under a certain limit or you risk more stillbirths and bad traits will occur.

That would be a good idea. I personally don't think the animals need to move if at all when you have tamed them. That would help with reducing server load. They could just stand there every once and while the horse would lean down to eat etc. You get the point. I really hope they do this eventually would make the game so immersive.

LordWiese
Alpha Tester

Post by LordWiese » 28 Apr 2016, 03:34

While I like this idea, 100%, one thing we run into on Warband:PW mod with mobs is simply the amount of lag the can create once there is large enough numbers.

Would like to see the animals though, would make me enjoy the game that much more!

Return to General Discussion