Herbal gardens should have been fixed by now

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Barnshaped

Herbal gardens should have been fixed by now

Post by Barnshaped » 22 Mar 2016, 15:03

It's frustrating to say the least.

The type of bug that other developers would rush to get a hotfix out for and you guys can't even acknowledge it a month later.

You don't have the early-access defence any more so can we please get some feedback on why it is taking so long?

Talressen

Re: Herbal gardens should have been fixed by now

Post by Talressen » 22 Mar 2016, 15:17

They still work, you just need to plant them right after your server resets. I know its annoying when they have been planted for 8 hours, the server resets and you have to start all over but most decent servers have a pre-set reset time that you just have to work around. It could be worse... we could have no herb gardens at all.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 22 Mar 2016, 15:41

The issue is with your server, not the herb gardens. Granted, the functionality could have been designed better but ultimately the way to fix this is to improve server stability. That should be coming in the next patch, but it could also be handled by your server host.

Our server is set to 6 hour days, making the herb garden timer 18 hours. The server itself has been up for several days now and we have no issue harvesting the gardens.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Barnshaped

Post by Barnshaped » 22 Mar 2016, 15:42

Unfortunately the server I play on has 18 hour herb timers and a restart at 9am after everybody goes to work.

Maybe I need to find a new server then...

I would still like to get some information from the developers as to why it's taking so long. Is it being overlooked or is the solution prohibitively difficult for a hotfix?

Deus-X-Incognita

Post by Deus-X-Incognita » 23 Mar 2016, 18:33

Azzerhoden wrote:The issue is with your server, not the herb gardens. Granted, the functionality could have been designed better but ultimately the way to fix this is to improve server stability. [...]

Nope, no large functionality should depend on server stability.
Not with very long timers.
Just imagine a field that is ready in 24 hours - on a server with a restart every day. That wouldn't work.

Fields work okay with the way restarts work. There is simply no excuse for not doing the same for herbs. forcing players to be online one time, and then, no restarts hoping more or less exactly 9 hours later is problematic.

Oh and at last: Many server admins see Restarts as necessary because of the non-stability of the game itself.
So again, the point of responsibility is clearly at the developers side.
German RP Server

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 23 Mar 2016, 19:21

Deus-X-Incognita wrote:Nope, no large functionality should depend on server stability.
So again, the point of responsibility is clearly at the developers side.

Again, that is a design (functionality) issue. So I am 100% correct. Notice I still used the word issue, because it is. In a lot of instances though, design issues and programming issues (bugs) require different levels of effort to change.

The root issue which exposes the design flaw is the stability of the server. The design of the Herb Gardens is held hostage to the larger issue of server stability which has been an issue for a long time. A very long time. Most server admins have learned to deal with it by having frequent restarts or utilizing software to immediately restart servers. To be blunt, server stability is a larger, higher priority issue to resolve. Or at least it should be as it effects everyone, all the time.

From a design standpoint, the herb gardens should store the timestamp of when it is 'planted', then use a time difference between the current time and the planted time to determine when the herb garden is ready. Instead is uses a running timer that resets if interrupted. As it is though, there may be an intentional reason why it functions the way it does (perhaps there will be the ability for hostiles to interrupt the process).

Now if the gardens ate the materials, that would be a different story. They don't though, so redesigning how it works (assuming it's not tied it with other functionality) may require resources assigned to other priority tasks.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

MacDante

Post by MacDante » 24 Mar 2016, 15:27

When Gardens was ad to game all economy and balance is broken.

Herbalist now must Find only 2 herbs with flux to make unlimited FLUx.

because hi must only build 20 gardens. In 10 gardens plant first type of herb in next 10 plant second herb.
After time hi have
45 * 10 = 450 FLUX (440 flux ok sorry hi must plant next part of herbs)

Where is balance? Where is herb trade with another herbalist (exchange herbs)?

In my opinion gardens give to many herbs!!! max herbs from one harvest should be 10-12 pcs like farmer yields.

Maybe quality planted herbs should be have influence effect like:
[Herb Quality] / 10 +/- 2 = max HERB pcs from garden. with herb 100q we get (8-12 pcs) with herb 10q we get 1-3 pcs...

Now fro me Gardens broke game

Return to General Discussion