Hoshi's Damage System

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Hoshi's Damage System

Post by Hoshiqua » 16 Jan 2016, 18:46

I've written yet another design file ! :crazy:

This time it is about a new damage system that is made to literally go on top of the current one. It is more of an "upgrade" than a remake like I usually suggest.

Here's the file !
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HQh ... sp=sharing

It is four pages long, but 1 and a half of them is the intro. If you want to skip ahead to the design and its consequences, just scroll down to the horizontal line !

Enjoy the read, and please post any feedback in this thread !

bowlin12
Alpha Tester

Re: Hoshi's Damage System

Post by bowlin12 » 16 Jan 2016, 19:02

Personally think that archery is a little to strong, wearing full plate should make you a tank against all attacks except for blunt and crossbows. Which it allows for basically all weapons except for bow users with bodkin. I've been hit for 50 Hhp damage in the torso by a bodkin arrow bow user while wearing full plate which is ridiculous seeing as I have high stamina drain and slow speed. You can only make the archers miss so many shots while you try and catch them before they land 1 shot for 30+ damage which is ridiculous on plate.

Crossbows should be the counter to plate(when it comes to ranged), not bows with certain arrows. There is no reason to use crossbows in PvP at this current moment. Bows do everything they do, and better. I've been around on a bunch of pvp servers and anyone using crossbows are killed or unable to act because of the long reload time.

Melee users must use blunt to take down full plate wearing guys, and swords to take on soft targets. Bowmen should do the same, use the blunt arrows that do 20-30 blunt damage to plate and use the other arrows for soft targets, but 50 hard hp damage a shot from arrows is ridiculous for the weight and stam.

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 16 Jan 2016, 19:10

Didn't you read how penetration works ? In the case of a 50 damage arrow, it would only inflict some piercing damage and mainly blunt.

Crossbows, with a bit of balance, could easily penetrate plate armor at least majorly, so you would take piercing mostly -> counter.

Melee weapon wise, unless you have an exceptionally heavy axe in the head of a very bad quality metal helmet, you will almost never penetrate, so blunt / heavy weapons are the way to go like you describe :)

Rulant

Post by Rulant » 16 Jan 2016, 20:29

range damage change definitely needs to happen. ATM bows are crazy strong

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 20 Jan 2016, 16:46

I will soon write a miscellaneous file with combat tweaks and minor - medium changes that need to happen, and it will include archery.

But what do you guys actually think of the system in this file ? Of course we could go much more in depth with it, but I wanted it to be working on top of the current system for many reasons.

Return to General Discussion