Ideas to smoothen and polish combat

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Re: Ideas to smoothen and polish combat

Post by Siegbert » 30 Apr 2014, 04:50

Hoshiqua wrote:- Allow the player to choose mouse sensivity

Does anybody care to look into the settings at all?
I mean, yeah, it's bugged and I reported it, but there is a slider for it already.

- Make the parying animation "clearer". Right now, when you try to parry, it doesn't feel like it, and considering you take damage anyway, it feels REALLY useless

Well, as said the combat system isn't really implemented. Neither hit nor parry does work the way it should. I'm not sure if parry works at all atm. I couldn't find a sign of it tll now.

- When fighting, my opponent was running away and coming back to hit and run, and could do that for the whole fighting. Please make the stamina drain while running with weapon unsheated bigger.

Agreed. That should not be possible. Either make the stamina loss more drastic or remove sprinting in combat mode completely. I don't want LiF to turn into a cat&mouse chase like Mortal Online.

- Of course, try to fix those lags / performance problems, because it affects the fight a lot, but that is a problem the user can -partly- solve by himself.

Did you experience lags in combat so far? When I tested it I though it was spot on. What struck me odd was the way the hit effects (the grunts and the blood stain) came like half a second after you actually hit.
I don't know if that's something that can be removed in a MMO because I think that's how it's constructed.
While hits and blocks are registered client-side the actual damage dealt will be confirmed server-side and takes into account thereafter, meaning the server checks if you actually dealt damage and will show it to you after that.
Maybe I'm wrong... it would really be better to see the effect of your strike immediately. But it's the same thing in Mortal Online so I don't think there's a way around it.

Hodo wrote:The thing I don't want, and many others is for a person running around in third person to have a marked advantage over someone who does not use third person.

Well, I think this will be the case. Combat is not constructed for 1st person the way Chivalry was. It's only another camera angle... You would need to see your whole body and the range of your weapon in action to be effective in combat.

I think this is something you will have to come along with.

If someone spends ten minutes sneaking up behind someone to steal something or just stab them in the back, and the target person is in third person mode and can see them without actually doing anything. That is what most of us who are against it are saying.

To be fair the camera in 3rd person is pretty close up. It's still possible for you to sneak up on people.
In M&B mod "Persistent World" I would often be totally surprised by outlaws charging at me in dense woods. 3rd person would only have helped me if I was constantly looking around me which I wasn't.

If you want to fight, you switch to first person.
Exploration and day to day moving around third person.

I don't wanna fight in first person. It's clumsy and feels unnatural. You don't have any feeling for what your character is doing. It's not like your actually being that character, but more like there's a camera attached to your helmet.
I think the game treats you folks pretty fairly when it offers optional first person view.

See if you can manage to fight this way, but don't force me to do the same.

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 30 Apr 2014, 13:20

Siegbert,

Its not a game breaker for me if it doesn't have first person only combat. But I can name several games that did it VERY well. Skyrim is one of the first ones that come to mind. Then there is Roma Victor is another.

Sure there is a third person view but it really isnt that useful for fighting, you were to far away from your body and you didn't have a point of reference to aim from.

If there is going to be a third person, I don't want a floating targeting reticule on the screen.

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 30 Apr 2014, 14:11

Skyrim did good with combat ? You kidding right ?

Yes, I experienced lags in combat, but it was still playable. Basicly, the only problem I had is that it was almost impossible to hit the guy, and if you did, it was because you've swang your weapon randomly and you got lucky.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 30 Apr 2014, 14:42

Skyrim was constructed around 1st person to begin with, same as Chivalry. It's not just a different camera angle. They actually remodeled the hands and every animation to fit into it.

If they'd do this in LiF, alright... But I doubt they will.

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 30 Apr 2014, 20:41

Hoshiqua wrote:Skyrim did good with combat ? You kidding right ?

Yes, I experienced lags in combat, but it was still playable. Basicly, the only problem I had is that it was almost impossible to hit the guy, and if you did, it was because you've swang your weapon randomly and you got lucky.

You must have had a bad system to have those problems. I beat the game with out using magic just to see if it was possible. Even killed dragons without using any ranged weapons.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 30 Apr 2014, 20:58

I think he was referring to his combat experience in LiF. I mentioned it before.

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 01 May 2014, 13:22

Yes, I was not talking about skyrim x)

Return to Suggestions and Ideas