Kidnapping/Sleeping

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Seppuku
Alpha Tester

Kidnapping/Sleeping

Post by Seppuku » 08 Feb 2014, 14:28

I was wondering if when we logged out of the game would we just vanish from the world or will our body remain ina sleep sate? If so I would like to suggest being able to kidnap other players. This would of course rely on a hunger/thirsts system that would allow a hunger strike death to ensure that anyone who did not want to be held in captivity would have a way to escape.
Cimmerian Mercenary

Telakh
Alpha Tester

Re: Kidnapping/Sleeping

Post by Telakh » 08 Feb 2014, 14:56

Teleportation to your homestead has been implemented in the game so a player could always escape from a blocked location. There should be some restrictions on carried stuff, I am not sure, so that it can't be abused, but yet anyone can escape any place.
ImageYou are entering    Time ParadoxImage

Seppuku
Alpha Tester

Post by Seppuku » 08 Feb 2014, 15:47

Some people would enjoy the experience as long as it is well RP'd. Others would want to instantly port back to their homesteads. Maybe make some sort of system that once you are captured you would be able to go home anytime but lose all your items, and maybe some sort of escaped prisoner fatigue penalty that lasts for 10-30 mins.
Cimmerian Mercenary

PrimusPalus
Alpha Tester

Post by PrimusPalus » 08 Feb 2014, 16:33

Seppuku wrote:I was wondering if when we logged out of the game would we just vanish from the world or will our body remain ina sleep sate? If so I would like to suggest being able to kidnap other players. This would of course rely on a hunger/thirsts system that would allow a hunger strike death to ensure that anyone who did not want to be held in captivity would have a way to escape.

Rust has a "Sleepers" concept... where when you log out, your body stays in place (laying down). You can be killed like that, and lose whatever you had on you at the time.

Really a neat system if done right.

Day Z has a kidnap function coming... where you can put a bag over someones head and handcuff/tie/tape them.

I approve of both of these if done right... but that's the crucial part of it. Showing love to new players, not making it impossible to survive these actions, but adding in enough realism at the same time.
Captain J. Shields
Commanding Officer
24th Marine Expeditionary Unit

Seppuku
Alpha Tester

Post by Seppuku » 08 Feb 2014, 19:17

There has to be a way to make this viable without it just ending up as a griefing tool. Maybe make a knot tying skill for the abductor and a escaping skill for the abducted. Some sort of incentive for returning the person unharmed as quickly as possible too. Maybe a Slave Trader who acts as a broker and will release the player back to their people.
Cimmerian Mercenary

Telakh
Alpha Tester

Post by Telakh » 09 Feb 2014, 04:02

There was camping skill in UO, an unused one. But it allowed character to log our instantly.
Here in LiF we have a log out penalty whenever you are in combat (IMHO) but your suggestion can be used for characters that have logged out not on their claim or city or bed. They can stay as "sleeping" for 1 hour for example, and anyone who finds them can kidnap a character and make him pay tribute or work for 1 hour for example =)
ImageYou are entering    Time ParadoxImage

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 09 Feb 2014, 11:03

Seems like a difficult, annoying mechanic only good for RPing and not very attuned to the theme of the game.

I do hope, though, there is some incentive to logging out in your bed; sleeping. So you can track people down and kill them in their sleep if they are unwalled/unclaimed.

Cloud
Alpha Tester

Post by Cloud » 09 Feb 2014, 14:39

If kidnapping is well RP'ed I wouldn't mind being part of that RP.

Sting5

Post by Sting5 » 11 Feb 2014, 17:01

While reading this topic one thing is unclear - what will happen in LiF when we log out? Will our char continue doing/being or will it disappear from the map?
QUAERO TOTUS

Cloud
Alpha Tester

Post by Cloud » 11 Feb 2014, 17:15

Sting5 wrote:While reading this topic one thing is unclear - what will happen in LiF when we log out? Will our char continue doing/being or will it disappear from the map?

I've heard something about it will turn into an NPC.

Sting5

Post by Sting5 » 11 Feb 2014, 17:34

Cloud wrote:
Sting5 wrote:While reading this topic one thing is unclear - what will happen in LiF when we log out? Will our char continue doing/being or will it disappear from the map?

Well, shit :cry:
QUAERO TOTUS

Cloud
Alpha Tester

Post by Cloud » 11 Feb 2014, 17:36

Sting5 wrote:
Cloud wrote:

Well, shit :cry:

Yea, hopefully they stay around a safe area where you can't get attacked.

Sting5

Post by Sting5 » 12 Feb 2014, 13:35

Cloud wrote:Yea, hopefully they stay around a safe area where you can't get attacked.
I'm hoping the same. AI might do some stupid things while You're away. It's not the GTA 5 style game, where it's fun to watch interscripted transitions between characters with a smile and thinking "oh look what that jerk is doing", what NPC will be doing while Your'e away, might have strong consequences in LiF.
QUAERO TOTUS

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 12 Feb 2014, 14:14

This seems very unfamiliar. Are you sure?

Seems odd to add more NPCs to the game when the aim is to have close to zero NPCs.

Cloud
Alpha Tester

Post by Cloud » 12 Feb 2014, 14:26

Thokan wrote:This seems very unfamiliar. Are you sure?

Seems odd to add more NPCs to the game when the aim is to have close to zero NPCs.

We're saying that when you log out you turn into an NPC. Not really adding any in.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 12 Feb 2014, 14:29

Cloud wrote:

We're saying that when you log out you turn into an NPC. Not really adding any in.

Yes, where have you read about that? I've been wondering about the log off-system myself for a while. Haven't seen anything about it.

Cloud
Alpha Tester

Post by Cloud » 12 Feb 2014, 14:34

Thokan wrote:
Cloud wrote:

Yes, where have you read about that? I've been wondering about the log off-system myself for a while. Haven't seen anything about it.

I haven't heard anyway, but thats what we're suggesting. I've heard other people say it, but I'm not too sure.

Elysana
Alpha Tester

Post by Elysana » 12 Feb 2014, 22:55

I'm actually somewhat OK if my character turns into an NPC while I'm not around, but I just hope she won't wander off into the wilderness or somewhere dangerous. She could be manning a store stall or mentoring at a school.

"Offline" living is a mechanic used in Age of Wushu: http://www.ageofwushu.com/news/view/88

It made the game/towns look alive.

Ishamael
Alpha Tester

Post by Ishamael » 13 Feb 2014, 00:12

I was playing Rust, and some guy trapped me in this hut and started saying, "Hahaha you're my bitch now."

The guy truly had some issues, so I just suicided my character and went on my merry way :)

I don't like the idea of making this a game mechanic. There are some truly sick people that play full loot pvp games like this, and I don't think we should encourage that minority.
"Yes, Betrayer of Hope. They gave me the name to revile me, but I will yet make them kneel and worship it."
—Ishamael

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Drakes821
Alpha Tester

Post by Drakes821 » 13 Feb 2014, 00:48

Characters sleeping on log out and any type of kidnapping system is a bad idea.

Characters staying in the game world while offline and being attack-able/loot-able is one of those mechanics that is so hardcore it's annoying and all it would do is bring about grieving. People should be able to walk away from their computer knowing their character is safe.

Kidnapping would also be a very exploitable system.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 13 Feb 2014, 08:48

Drakes821 wrote:Characters sleeping on log out and any type of kidnapping system is a bad idea.

Characters staying in the game world while offline and being attack-able/loot-able is one of those mechanics that is so hardcore it's annoying and all it would do is bring about grieving. People should be able to walk away from their computer knowing their character is safe.

+1

As I've prolly stated earlier. The easiest and simplest way is just the ability to go to sleep in your bed on logout and just disappearing if you are out in the wild.

Sting5

Post by Sting5 » 13 Feb 2014, 09:16

Drakes821 wrote:Characters sleeping on log out and any type of kidnapping system is a bad idea.

I also agree. I would be not happy with leaving AI responsible for my property even for a minute.
QUAERO TOTUS

PrimusPalus
Alpha Tester

Post by PrimusPalus » 13 Feb 2014, 12:58

Drakes821 wrote:Characters staying in the game world while offline and being attack-able/loot-able is one of those mechanics that is so hardcore it's annoying and all it would do is bring about grieving. People should be able to walk away from their computer knowing their character is safe.

Funny this is coming up now. I put together a game on paper and in my head. A game I wanted to develop someday when I had the means to do it. This concept was written into it a LONG time ago.

Basically you set the type of NPC you would like. Stationary, roaming (no mission), or patrol. When you log off with your bedding, you become an NPC.

You are completely open to attacks while as an NPC and the AI of that NPC is based upon your skills (how hard they will be).

If killed, you can be looted but only a portion of what you have on you. If killed and even looted... you can log back in around the same place (moved out of range) and still have most of your gear. Basically, you take a small percentage hit also depended upon your skills.

I envisioned the NPC's being harder than your average computer generated NPC. But worthwhile going after because of the chance that some of that persons gear may be accessible by you. At the same time, the NPC can guard your hideout/HQ/building. You can feel safe knowing that if you log out as a high skilled player, the NPC should fend off a lot of what might come for you.

I'd like to see a system like that. Not hardcore like Rust where you lose everything and not hardcore where it'll turn off casual player. But at the same time, adding some realism to the mix.
Captain J. Shields
Commanding Officer
24th Marine Expeditionary Unit

Seppuku
Alpha Tester

Post by Seppuku » 13 Feb 2014, 13:44

Age of Wushu has an offline character system. Basically your character take s ajob and wlaks around doing nothing while generating money for you while offfline. If your player is kidnapped while you are offline you lose whatever money they have generated for your offline play.

This isn't exactly what I meant by player kidnapping, but it's better than nothing.
Cimmerian Mercenary

Drakes821
Alpha Tester

Post by Drakes821 » 14 Feb 2014, 04:15

PrimusPalus wrote:Funny this is coming up now. I put together a game on paper and in my head. A game I wanted to develop someday when I had the means to do it. This concept was written into it a LONG time ago.

Basically you set the type of NPC you would like. Stationary, roaming (no mission), or patrol. When you log off with your bedding, you become an NPC.

You are completely open to attacks while as an NPC and the AI of that NPC is based upon your skills (how hard they will be).

If killed, you can be looted but only a portion of what you have on you. If killed and even looted... you can log back in around the same place (moved out of range) and still have most of your gear. Basically, you take a small percentage hit also depended upon your skills.

I envisioned the NPC's being harder than your average computer generated NPC. But worthwhile going after because of the chance that some of that persons gear may be accessible by you. At the same time, the NPC can guard your hideout/HQ/building. You can feel safe knowing that if you log out as a high skilled player, the NPC should fend off a lot of what might come for you.

I'd like to see a system like that. Not hardcore like Rust where you lose everything and not hardcore where it'll turn off casual player. But at the same time, adding some realism to the mix.

While an interesting idea I still don't think this has a place in LiF.

LiF seems to be more about encouraging player interaction, adding in human NPCs that drop gear goes against that.

Also as I stated earlier it would just lead to greifing. Any NPC would just be a target for groups of murderers or warring guilds. I'm sure it would result in most players loggin off naked so they wouldn't loose anything while they were gone.

Then of course there is the obvious issue, it would be incredibly complicated to implement and would cause a lot of stress on the server (an AI for every player not logged in...that could be a lot).

I think a simple log out timer is easier and better. Realism is fun up to a point but a game has to allow the player to take a break from it.

SilentAssassin

Post by SilentAssassin » 25 Jun 2014, 11:51

If kidnapping was added it could be used as a viable tactic politically. For example, two factions are at war for some particular reason. They both head into battle and one faction has a major victory and defeats the other faction. Rather than loosing some of their skills from death, the remaining force from the losing side surrenders and is taken prisoner. It just so happens that one of them is a high ranking member in that force. The force that took this high ranking prisoner could potentially blackmail the other force and state their demands to the other faction in order to return the prisoners. :D

I can see this working very well for the rp guilds.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 25 Jun 2014, 13:03

If only there would not be this "pray home" skill that teleports you to your spawn location.

Honzadr

Post by Honzadr » 25 Jun 2014, 14:56

Siegbert wrote:If only there would not be this "pray home" skill that teleports you to your spawn location.

i think it should be removed, it would add so much to RP and it would make lots of ideas possible

ability to set your spawnpoint would be much more balanced(only in buildings)
and it would be much more closer to perma death

can you imagine how annoying escaping from battlefield will be if developers don´remove it :fool:

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 25 Jun 2014, 15:07

Honzadr wrote:
Siegbert wrote:If only there would not be this "pray home" skill that teleports you to your spawn location.

i think it should be removed, it would add so much to RP and it would make lots of ideas possible

ability to set your spawnpoint would be much more balanced(only in buildings)
and it would be much more closer to perma death

can you imagine how annoying escaping from battlefield will be if developers don´remove it :fool:

Its a long cast. It can't be used fleeing.

Can you imagine wandering off exploring into the wild for three hours just to realize, when you are done exploring, that you have to trace back?

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 25 Jun 2014, 15:27

Thokan wrote:Can you imagine wandering off exploring into the wild for three hours just to realize, when you are done exploring, that you have to trace back?

That's how it's like in Mortal Online (and there is no map in the game). I found it very entertaining.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas