Killing our hype

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Seppuku
Alpha Tester

Killing our hype

Post by Seppuku » 09 Mar 2014, 14:12

Gloria Victis is killing us on the mmorpg.com hype meter. You need to post an alpha key giveaway or something to get people on that site interested. GV is a sad shell of a game and I would hate to see it take the thunder away from LiF.
Cimmerian Mercenary

Archaegeo
Alpha Tester

Re: Killing our hype

Post by Archaegeo » 09 Mar 2014, 14:38

Sad part is all GV has in common with LiF is PvP. No terraforming there.

I am in GV's pre-alpha too, and what we experienced here Friday is miles beyond where GV is right now.

That being said, the MMORPG.com hype meter says nothing about the quality of the game, for many LiF will NOT be something they want to play, it is very much a niche game.

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 09 Mar 2014, 14:59

Well, I'm personally in a good relations with Jog (leader of GV team) and I don't think that we should care about how good GV is going. Our games are VERY different. There is not a single similar thing in our games.
Even realistic medieval in their game have some kind of skeletons, goblins and wraiths, while we don't have that fantazy stuff.

PvP systems are also different. I've heard nothing about their alignment system, and their battle system is not 100% no target in term of melee. When I was playing it I was unable to hit a small fox, because it was below me and you can not aim your swings up or down - only in front of you. No formations, no combos system, no body parts hits, fractures and bleeding that I know of.

They're a bit ahead in development, but well, we have a way way MORE functionality that is needed to be tested and debugged also. Also not sure, but I believe they had started development a bit more early then we did.

Anyway, I suggest not to start some holy crusades against our fellow indie developer and just wish them luck. MMORPG.com hype will change, once we will have a more stable alpha and all its features properly exposed and explained ;)

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 09 Mar 2014, 15:00

Well, I think reason for GV being so popular is that it's in semi open alpha for quite some time now. A lot of people can hop in and play it.
Plus they are doing some PR on Facebook. LiF hardly does anything... Sometimes Falke posts some lines and that's it.

Archaegeo
Alpha Tester

Post by Archaegeo » 09 Mar 2014, 15:01

Oh I donated to both, hehe, I support this sort of development.

But from what we have been given to play so far in GV, LiF's alpha you let us experience on Friday was miles ahead, imho.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 09 Mar 2014, 15:08

I think LiF will turn out to be way more interesting with all the functions to try out. GV right now is rather boring slashing mobs which doesn't even work well after all that time. (Blocking is still not functioning)
Some of their screens look very atmospheric though.

Right now I cannot see myself being hyped again for GV.

SaresITA89
Alpha Tester

Post by SaresITA89 » 09 Mar 2014, 19:44

please, you don't start a war between GV vs LIF, like DF vs MO
they are 2 different game.

GV, like DF = pvp based
LIF, like MO = sandbox

IMHO:
IF you want a war, your war ill be:

GV vs DF and LIF vs MO.

Evo
Alpha Tester

Post by Evo » 09 Mar 2014, 20:02

This is a very good comparison.
DFO ≠ MO

Drakes821
Alpha Tester

Post by Drakes821 » 09 Mar 2014, 20:14

Seppuku wrote:Gloria Victis is killing us on the mmorpg.com hype meter. You need to post an alpha key giveaway or something to get people on that site interested. GV is a sad shell of a game and I would hate to see it take the thunder away from LiF.

Who care's about hype at this point? The game is in early alpha and the devs need to focus on making the game, not advertising.

Also throwing around alpha keys to random people would do more harm then good.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 09 Mar 2014, 20:39

SaresITA89 wrote:please, you don't start a war between GV vs LIF, like DF vs MO
they are 2 different game.

GV, like DF = pvp based
LIF, like MO = sandbox

GV is also sandbox, it's realisticly-ish medieval in terms of gear and does have a Mount&Blade like combat system. (At least they plan to).
For those of us who are into PvP it is a either or question.

Drakes821 wrote:Also throwing around alpha keys to random people would do more harm then good.

It gets the game funded.

Drakes821
Alpha Tester

Post by Drakes821 » 09 Mar 2014, 22:01

Siegbert wrote:
Drakes821 wrote:Also throwing around alpha keys to random people would do more harm then good.

It gets the game funded.

No you misunderstand.

I was referring to having an alpha key giveaway to increase advertisement as the OP suggested. At this point that would not be good since it's such an early alpha.

The current donation method is fine.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 09 Mar 2014, 22:18

Oh, right. I agree.

Serith78

Post by Serith78 » 10 Mar 2014, 03:12

A great deal of hype when a game is in "paid" or open alpha state for long periods of time isn't good. When players check back every month or two and see minor incremental changes they tend to lose confidence and interest in a game. A sandbox that looks really good to fresh eyes at launch doesn't look the same way to a player who's being playing alpha/beta for several months or years.

I think this really hurt Mortal Online, but they may have a second chance at "launching" to plenty of fresh eyes on steam. Gloria Victis is really reducing their future pool of "fresh eyes" at launch between long open alpha and being so high on the hype meter.

Return to General Discussion