Looking to buy the game. Is it worth $40?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Robert_Skywalker

Looking to buy the game. Is it worth $40?

Post by Robert_Skywalker » 03 Oct 2014, 03:52

$40 is way more than I normally pay for a game one Steam, that is really the price of two games, usually no matter how good. But, not only is this a single copy, its early alpha! And they're charging $40. So to those of you who bought it, was it $40 well spent?

On another note, will the price go down or will it end up on a Steam sale?

Aldebaran

Re: Looking to buy the game. Is it worth $40?

Post by Aldebaran » 03 Oct 2014, 04:16

Just a factor to consider:

Star Citizen is far less playable, in far more of an alpha state than LIF yet charges orders of magnitude more and requires extra peripherals and a much higher end machine just to basically run around a hangar looking at pretties or engage in a glossy version of 'Asteroids'.

Yet, Robert of RSI got to show off his rich mans hollow eye candy on stage at CES, while Indy developers like Bobik struggle like a feudal serf in a pasture of obscurity.

Everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Each person is unique, some are gaming connoisseurs, and see vision and future (or lack thereof) in titles, others are not so refined and are looking for a front end purely monetary value rather than for a lifestyle enhacement.

Is it worth it? That would depend upon what bar you judge it against.

For me, yes without question, I see it as getting to be right there in the studio of Lamborghini while they make the next Countach S, maybe impart a small little piece of my soul just by proximity into the forging of the art. The very next person might think I'm a loon for thinking in that way.

I have about 100 hours in game so far and have barely scratched the surface of it. That equals about two and a half bucks per hour that helped support what I feel are people who deserve it. Every additional hour I play reduces that number infinitely from this moment on, while their operating costs remain fixed, and I get a character in the upcoming MMO or in game currency towards one. Damn good value even from the beancounter perspective if you ask me.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 03 Oct 2014, 06:52

Robert_Skywalker wrote:$40 is way more than I normally pay for a game one Steam, that is really the price of two games, usually no matter how good.

What are talking about? That's a normal price (for a full fleshed game at least). I just paid double the price for Shadow of Mordor and I don't expect to play it nearly as long as LiF.

But, not only is this a single copy, its early alpha! And they're charging $40. So to those of you who bought it, was it $40 well spent?

No, it's an investment and we believe in the product. If you want to have a fully developed game, wait a year and buy it then.

On another note, will the price go down or will it end up on a Steam sale?

No idea. I would advise them to lower the price.

Aldebaran

Post by Aldebaran » 03 Oct 2014, 07:27

^ Germans are always so short and to the point efficient :ROFL:

WhiteTree
Devoted Believer

Post by WhiteTree » 03 Oct 2014, 07:32

Like previously stated, the value of money spent on a game comes down to the individual. I paid the $40, and I feel like I've gotten more than $40 worth of enjoyment from the game. I still play it everyday, so I feel like I get more and more value from it.

This game is an Alpha, but even for an Alpha I feel like this game has a lot of features and many, many hours of gameplay. Despite that, it feels like they haven't even implemented half of the features yet and it's already a great game to me.

One thing to keep in mind is the fact that so far they are putting out updates. It doesn't matter if these updates are purely bug/crash fix updates, optimization, or adding in new content for testing...they're updating the game. They're working on the game. There are a lot of Alphas out there than put out updates every few months and don't say much to the people who have invested in it.

I was skeptical at first at the $40.00 price. Not because I feel like it's more than the regular price of a game (I'm used to buying $50 and $60 games), but because it is an Alpha. I'm sure there are many other people who get doubts on buying this game because it's $40.00 to get into the Alpha and aid in development and testing. It's the most expensive Early Access game I've gotten, and I definitely don't regret it.

So, in my opinion, the game is worth $40.00.

Maegfaer
Mod Developer

Post by Maegfaer » 03 Oct 2014, 08:19

Yes, it is. Especially since the main bugs and exploits are being fixed at the moment. I have never played a game this much in a single week. It's extremely rewarding, but be prepared to team up with other people. You won't get far alone. If you're not an instant gratification seeker and if the game concept appeals to you, you won't regret it.
Pioneer LiF:YO modder
Author of Life is Balanced
My Modding Guide

Ishamael
Alpha Tester

Post by Ishamael » 03 Oct 2014, 16:12

Absolutely worth it. There are still bugs but for an alpha it is incredibly enjoyable as both a bandit and a townie. The team works hard and is involved a lot with the community.
"Yes, Betrayer of Hope. They gave me the name to revile me, but I will yet make them kneel and worship it."
—Ishamael

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Thylbanus

Post by Thylbanus » 03 Oct 2014, 19:53

I've logged one third the amount of hours on this game as I did Skyrim (388 hrs). This is what ESO should have been. If 100+ hrs of fun isn't worth $40, I don't know what is.

EDIT: For those who don't get it, Skyrim (and by extension, the Elder Scrolls series) was an open world sandbox (originally it was much more sandbox, but decreased with each chapter) single player RPG. Moving it to an MMO would have destroyed the linear elements, since linear and open world just don't work in an MMO. Had ESO been more like this, there would be few that would have complained that it wasn't and Elder Scrolls game. Sure there would have needed to be magic and monsters (there is none here), but the premise remains. At 5% of a game, this game surpasses ESO in execution. Everything that was slowly drained away as the Elder Scrolls progressed, is here in LiF:YO and eventually the MMO.

Just remember, this is a REAL alpha (sans the usual NDA). Not some nearly complete game labled as an alpha to promote the game. THERE ARE AND WILL BE MORE BUGS. Sometimes major bugs, sometimes minor, but it is only 5% of a game at this point. Watch some Twitch on this or YouTube it and watch it for a bit. Ask questions of the Twitch-casters. Learn about it before you buy, but it is sure worth it to those who appreciate a rich and complex MMO.
Last edited by Thylbanus on 04 Oct 2014, 00:39, edited 3 times in total.

SirDruben

Post by SirDruben » 03 Oct 2014, 20:16

I don't understand all of the comparisons.

Skyrim was a questing-based RPG, not a crafting/building/society MMO. Not even remotely the same type of game.

I don't see anyone talking about Star Citizen other than Aldebaran but it seems as if he's replying to someone mentioning SC. Of course, if that wasn't the intent.. my bad.

As for my own answer to the question...

Yes. But you're going to get a LOT of yesses since this is the LiF forum. So I'll give you some reasons.

-The videos are honest. They really do give you an idea of what playing the game is really like. It's not misrepresentative or over-stylized in any way. Thusly, if the video looks to you like a game you want to play... then... the game is definitely a game you want to play.

-This game will NOT be remotely interesting to people who, well, aren't going to be interested in this type of game. If you're the type of player that loves this level of detail and, to be frank, tedium (I do love it, but it's still tedious) then rest assured, the overwhelming vast majority of players will be similar(ish) to you in that respect. No need to worry about power leverlers and CoD/WoW kiddoes (to use the term) ruining the community.

-The updates are coming quite frequently.

-They really do SEEM to deliver on what they promise in upcoming updates. They SEEM like they are competent in what they're doing. I haven't been around long enough (discovered the game in September) to be sure, but it certainly seems that way.

So... in summary... if the game looks truly interesting and fun to you, then you'll very likely be safe investing in it.

Haladmer
Alpha Tester

Post by Haladmer » 03 Oct 2014, 21:19

It's just one of those games where if you like the theme and the style of gameplay, it's likely worth more than $40 to you.

If you ever played (and enjoyed) a game like Wurm, or Star Wars Galaxies (before the CU/NGE introduced hard-coded class systems) you may like the game.

Just keep in mind, it is a game that is heavily impacted by the folks you are in the game with. There is a lot of freedom in what you can do, but everyone else has that same level of freedom, and that will impact your feelings on the game.
“There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.”
- Henry Kissinger

SirDruben

Post by SirDruben » 03 Oct 2014, 22:12

Haladmer wrote:or Star Wars Galaxies (before the CU/NGE introduced hard-coded class systems)

*tear-filled hug*

Haladmer
Alpha Tester

Post by Haladmer » 03 Oct 2014, 22:27

SirDruben wrote:
Haladmer wrote:or Star Wars Galaxies (before the CU/NGE introduced hard-coded class systems)

*tear-filled hug*

What's really sad, as much crap as SOE gets for those changes.. most of the dev team tried to argue against those things being done. But the team had to put on the "unified front" in public, which leads to the he said - she said crap between SOE and Lucas...
“There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.”
- Henry Kissinger

IzznO
True Believer

Post by IzznO » 03 Oct 2014, 22:45

If you want to invest your money on a game to see it to its full potential, yes its worth 40 bucks. If you want a complete playable game, no its not. But we are the investors to replace the publishers who fuck everything up, so imo, to make the best game, yes its worth your money as it is the best survival game out there, screw dayz,rust,7days to die, all of them, this is the shit that will kill them all, in my humble opinion :)

Blackout

Post by Blackout » 04 Oct 2014, 00:25

Short and simple. I would buy it again, even for a higher price! Awesome game even in this state and it's future will be absolute awesome!
Right now steam shows me i played 118 hours and i'm still discovering things in this early alpha and enjoying the building of our village with friends :)

Return to General Discussion