Mining Rocks should give Mining Experience

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Terminus_Zaire
Alpha Tester

Mining Rocks should give Mining Experience

Post by Terminus_Zaire » 18 Jun 2014, 16:04

Based on what we've seen, the only way to unlock and gain Mining experience is to locate and mine Iron Ore. However, locating Iron is going to take a considerable amount of time mining rock and prospecting, but mining rock gives Prospecting experience.

Personally, I believe that mining rock should give Mining experience, approximately 1/5th the amount of experience provided from Iron or other metals.

This will prevent a bottle-neck from forming under the Metallurgy skill line at the Mining task, allowing players to smelt iron that they can purchase from other players as long as they've worked in a mineshaft, regardless of how successful they were in finding Iron.

It will also prevent players from being discouraged from being unable to gain skills, as most new players will most likely want to try out mining.

Arrakis

Re: Mining Rocks should give Mining Experience

Post by Arrakis » 18 Jun 2014, 23:24

It should be right here in suggestions ;)

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 19 Jun 2014, 05:27

I think mining stone shouldn't give mining skill, because it would allow just anyone to be a smelter as long as they have a rock tile near them.

I think we should restrict the number of smelters on the map, or there would be too much with this suggestion taken in.

Yes, I know, communities will trade and all, and what if they cannot smelt the iron ?

Well, the blacksmith of the community will just have to travel to an iron mine, just once, just to get smelting skill to 60, and then he can go back to his village ! I don't see why you would absolutly need to be able to raise that skill just anywhere, it doesn't make sense. Plus, it will encourage the stuff production to be located near mines, which also makes sense.

But, I do think that this skill should be renamed "Ore extraction" rather than "mining".

Terminus_Zaire
Alpha Tester

Post by Terminus_Zaire » 20 Jun 2014, 02:36

Very well put @Hoshiqua
(We talked about this in Teamspeak yesterday).

One thing that still concerns me is the fact that those who possess an active mine will still possess a significant advantage over those who do not. It's expected that the economy will be able to function by trading resources found throughout the world, allowing settlements to profit from their local environment.

I believe that requiring players to mine ore to gain levels in mining will always place the upper hand to those who control the mine itself, because those who want to smelt for their settlement will be at the mine owners' mercy to gain skills.

Personally, I see this as placing too much power into the hands of the mine owners, because ALL higher level construction requires advanced smithing and therefore, iron ore blocks.

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 20 Jun 2014, 05:35

Well, it's not like iron is that rare, there is plenty in every server block, like Bobik said. SO yes, mine owners will have a significant advantage, but don't forget that most of the villages will possess a mine, and if they don't, well, yes, they will have to trade.

Also, think a bit about it : if someone wants to create a village and be the blacksmith, he will surely already have the skills. I mean, once the map will be reasonably populated, people won't just go and try to make their own community, not without experience. So, I conclude that players who want to be blacksmith will have already gotten to a village with a mine at some point, so the problem is solved.

Carlossg
Alpha Tester

Post by Carlossg » 20 Jun 2014, 11:48

Terminus_Zaire wrote:Based on what we've seen, the only way to unlock and gain Mining experience is to locate and mine Iron Ore. However, locating Iron is going to take a considerable amount of time mining rock and prospecting, but mining rock gives Prospecting experience.

Personally, I believe that mining rock should give Mining experience, approximately 1/5th the amount of experience provided from Iron or other metals.

This will prevent a bottle-neck from forming under the Metallurgy skill line at the Mining task, allowing players to smelt iron that they can purchase from other players as long as they've worked in a mineshaft, regardless of how successful they were in finding Iron.

It will also prevent players from being discouraged from being unable to gain skills, as most new players will most likely want to try out mining.

Totally agree with this, tunneling should be mining skill and not terraforming or if not... with mine stone up mining skill. When alpha test end and we will have the normal dificulty for up skills could be a big problem for up the skill if not rapair this problem. Is hard find metals in this game

Terminus_Zaire
Alpha Tester

Post by Terminus_Zaire » 21 Jun 2014, 02:00

Hoshiqua wrote:Well, it's not like iron is that rare, there is plenty in every server block, like Bobik said. SO yes, mine owners will have a significant advantage, but don't forget that most of the villages will possess a mine, and if they don't, well, yes, they will have to trade.

Also, think a bit about it : if someone wants to create a village and be the blacksmith, he will surely already have the skills. I mean, once the map will be reasonably populated, people won't just go and try to make their own community, not without experience. So, I conclude that players who want to be blacksmith will have already gotten to a village with a mine at some point, so the problem is solved.

"Not that rare", says the guy who happened to randomly discover a surface vein :D

One thing I want to emphasize is that mining stone would give about 10% the experience of mining iron ore; NOT a substitute for actively trying to find real ore.

The idea comes from the fact that in most continents, players will need to dig deep shafts to access the majority of the ore. But what if they dig, and don't find anything? They spend the first 1-2 weeks of their gaming experience looking a vein and hit nothing, and still have nothing to show for it!

At the very least, these players would be able to resort to harvesting their local accessible resources to trade for iron mined far away, and actually USE IT.

Let me give another example: Granite and Marble. As far as I know, mining Granite doesn't actually give any experience, but is still a valuable commodity that could be traded for iron. Even if Stone doesn't give mining experience, I believe that other rarer natural resources should to allow for meaningful trade of resources.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas