MMO or gtfo (yes, it's being said that way)

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Divinion

MMO or gtfo (yes, it's being said that way)

Post by Divinion » 08 Mar 2016, 11:59

Been following the game for a very long time and been a owner of the YO version for a very long time as well. During this time there has been tiny comments here about the MMO and it's release date. Now, I do get that you dont want to throw out a date and than fail to have the game ready by the date, I really do. However, games that have had release dates that got pushed back, and even those that got pushed back multiple times, retained their hype better than games that wait until the last minute to finally give a release date. Especially in this day in age where we are in the middle of the Entitlement Era, you really are losing a lot of much needed hype.

Now, you will keep me and a great deal of people who have spent hundreds if not over a thousand of hours in the YO version of the game. But you are surely losing those who only gave the game a short time, under 100 hrs, who have experienced a private server wipe or some really crappily ran or GM abusing servers. These are the things that a majority of your players are seeing as the game right now, all of these servers and how they are run. Trust me when I say that about 80% of them, if not more than that, are ran very poorly and are giving the MMO a very bad name.

So, here's my plea, give us an actual release date, release month, or at least a release quarter. Give those of us who have been extremely patient a reason to keep being patient.

FlameRiot

Re: MMO or gtfo (yes, it's being said that way)

Post by FlameRiot » 08 Mar 2016, 12:49

^ This. My mates and I are getting pretty tired of having to deal with everyone's brand of bs. GMS either want to have crazy skill caps and multipliers or run a care bear daycare, often it's both. We got banned from a heavy PVP server for knocking a guy out... and in steam chat gm basically said: my server, do what i want. smh. People just swing the banhammer without any moderation. And I am tired of going on rumors and hearsay. Tired of checking the news and information forum all the time. We were told the mmo beta testing would begin in march. Well were the second week into march. Need an official update ASAP devs before everyone loses interest. Give us a date! If you have to push it back, we will be butthurt, but it's better than being in the dark

Khan-
Zealous Believer

Post by Khan- » 08 Mar 2016, 13:39

and they already gave a release quarter...

beta : march... now, they've got the whole month to release the beta (closed for few weeks and opened for everyone who own YO)

release : autumn (but can be delayed due to the beta progress)
100% French speaking alliance of Royaume Franc : http://lifeisfeudal-fr.com/
Les Témoins de Mérovée Site - Forum - Me contacter

Zhalls
Alpha Tester

Post by Zhalls » 08 Mar 2016, 16:43

Just relax gentlemen. Game development isn't as easy as you seem to think it is. Games get delayed all the time in this industry because they'd rather fix/add rather than release before the product is ready. The new uncharted for the PS4 is a perfect example, being pushed back months in order to make sure the final product is sound, rather than a piece of crap.

Posts like these do more harm than good, developers want to release the game, trust me. Their livelihood is on the line, and when kids post stuff like this on public forums, it just makes adults who work in the industry like me want to just roll our eyes and groan.

FlameRiot

Post by FlameRiot » 08 Mar 2016, 17:30

I think you misunderstand, Mr serious responsible adult. I personally (as eager as I am for beta) just want in the loop. It's hard to keep all my guildmates hopeful when they all have been expecting to be hopping on the mmo this month or early next month (the official statement still says this) but when it drags out and no one says anything its hard to keep everyone happy, especially when finding a good server is so hard... What's the big deal in making a forum post? Takes 10m. If it's taking more time, just say so, not a big deal At least then we know what kind of time frame we got and what we can do as a group to keep having fun.

P.S. IMO is better to release a game that people will play and maybe bitch about the bugs rather than keep it in development for ages and let it become stagnant because you are chasing "the perfect product" because then the bugs will never go away and someone is going to come along and make another much better game than you from scratch. Look at dayz, h1z1, space engineers, etc. Those games will never come out of EA because the development always kept chasing geese instead of focusing on release and polish. Meanwhile clones of those games (miscreated, empyrion) Star Citizen suffers from this too btw, but on a much grander scale. Look at the shitshow they call alpha because they couldn't settle down on their initial scale. Meanwhile ED has already succeed as a game and I'm sure there will be more contenders when SC comes out in 2025...

Sorry 4 the rant

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 08 Mar 2016, 22:27

So research the forums. In it you will find the answers you seek.

In fact, search this very thread for some dates, though the GA release date is wrong. There has been no GA date announced yet, and in an interview it was stated that it might not be released this year.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Larainan

Post by Larainan » 10 Mar 2016, 03:01

I happen to agree on some of the points being made in this thread. I see more and more people becoming discouraged in this game and leaving especially because of server wipes. I had a 49 player server at one point. All was going well until the Christmas patch and subsequent hot fix on the 29th of December that caused massive problems for certain servers and crashed them outright, especially those with MODS. We were assured that we would get a fix by Jan 11 and were asked not to reboot our server until that time. We did get a partial fix but it was too little to late.

You can imagine not rebooting on a full server caused all kinds of lag and other issues until the server crashed and restarted itself again causing the whole server to have to be restored from backups. After the 11th of January we saw many servers in the list that had wiped. Mine included. Our already frustrated players left the game and within a week our 49 player server was down to 13 and today I see it is down to 2 or 3 at any given time.

I also agree that gm abuse is an issue, As an owner/gm I did my level best when horses were disappearing under the world or just vanishing to correct those kinds of problems for those that lost items because of restarts etc. I did my level best to allow players to be a part of making rules and contributing ideas so there would be a little something for everyone in both pvp and pve. Other gms on my server abused that ability causing discord and fights and even player envy.

I think one of the biggest problems I see right now is that locked private servers are taking up valuable real estate in the server list making the list far to long for some servers to even show up in the list. Locked servers should have their own tab as should LIFYO servers.

Maybe a searchable list so you can quickly locate a server close to you right from the main screen would also help people find what they are looking for.

Certainly more search perimeters such as rp pvp or pve only servers would also be helpful. When I visit the steam life is feudal community pages I also see that there are only about 1500 players connected to LIF in the area my steam server covers. Since i am Chicago area and I'm guessing my connection area encompasses more than just Illinois, 1500 people is a very small number indeed. It saddens me because I really do love the game and would like to see it succeed.

For those of you whining about gm abuse those gms do have a point it is their world they created and they maintain, It is probably also paid for by them so unless you are donating to your server you don't really have a bitch about their actions in their world. Maintaining a server can take quite alot of time especially after game updates. You can always rent server space and create your own world or give up some run time on your own computer to create one if you want things your way for your group but please know you will never please everyone that joins you that is just impossible.

I have another server now and just getting it up the server list is an everyday chore and i'm not even close to the top yet. I've been building alone on it since the 28th of January.

All my LIF friends in my steam friends list have given up the game simply because they were tired of starting over again. Getting people on my server has become much harder as many have left the game and until my server shows up in the top 10 I guess I will be building alone before I see anyone else come to join me.

all in all I will continue to play, I also wish the Devs would do more to keep us informed.

Larainan
|US|KingsGate|Fresh1/28/2016
23.92.222.174:28000
isiltir.enjin.com

Alakar
Beta Tester

Post by Alakar » 10 Mar 2016, 03:55

There is still nothing in the game that has forced a wipe in over the 15 months that I have played the game. What "forces" wipes is usually people that don't understand the purpose of the database as it relates to saving the game world and have no real knowledge of how to ensure proper backups are made of the database (because once in the past 12 months I did notice an error that caused the version number of one of the terrain tiles to be incorrect on a forced shutdown, not a crash, but even those are fixable).

-Alakar
http://arkhaya.com/

Larainan

Post by Larainan » 10 Mar 2016, 04:43

Well who do you rent your server space from because I have had several friends and others I have talked to that rent server space that the hotfix in December caused server crashes to the point they had to be restored to the December 25th game update to be stable and we could not reboot until the problem was fixed because if we did it would reinstall the hotfix. Our entire hosting company was affected that day every lifyo server on it crashed and had to be reverted to an earlier date and there were specific companies affected by this.

If you have had 15 months without an issue thats great for you. how many people play on your server? how many mods do you run? I was running basil mod motd and I decreased flux from 12 to 6. it wasn't just my server that went down we even had servers go down that had no mods at all because something about the host company architecture didn't mesh with the patch very much like tons of people had hosts of video problems after the launch.

Alakar
Beta Tester

Post by Alakar » 10 Mar 2016, 05:07

Larainan wrote:Well who do you rent your server space from because I have had several friends and others I have talked to that rent server space that the hotfix in December caused server crashes to the point they had to be restored to the December 25th game update to be stable and we could not reboot until the problem was fixed because if we did it would reinstall the hotfix. Our entire hosting company was affected that day every lifyo server on it crashed and had to be reverted to an earlier date and there were specific companies affected by this.

If you have had 15 months without an issue thats great for you. how many people play on your server? how many mods do you run? I was running basil mod motd and I decreased flux from 12 to 6. it wasn't just my server that went down we even had servers go down that had no mods at all because something about the host company architecture didn't mesh with the patch very much like tons of people had hosts of video problems after the launch.

We've had the longest lived server probably now on Life is Feudal: Kingdoms of Arkhaya. We also were one of the first servers to modify files apart from Maegfaer. Since February of last year we've been a modded server. Also statistics throughout the past year probably would have an average max player count per day of around 45 throughout all the highs of max players on and lows of only in the 20s. And as far as the issues that have been rolled out dealing with animals and other severe server bugs there had always been ways of dealing with them and not shutting down.

-Alakar
http://arkhaya.com/

Larainan

Post by Larainan » 10 Mar 2016, 05:36

We didn't shut down the patch shut down our whole hosting company at first they thought it was a DDOS attack but quickly found out that wasn't the issue and they had to restore everyone running LIF from backups to an earlier date. the crash corrupted our databases so badly that even people and animals would fall through the world randomly, rabbits would lay eggs and pigs would give wool. the morning lag was so intense it would force our servers to reboot and then the hotfix would get readded and make things worse. There were some things done behind the scenes on or about the 11th of January that solved the issue for our server company however so much damage had been caused to our databases each time the servers would go down that we basically had no choice but to reinstall everything fresh. I tried migrating my copies of the database to our newly installed game unfortunately even my december 26th backup to my computer caused issues with the server. There was just something in it their computers didn't like I guess.

I make copies of my server files every day and my hosting company does the same but until they found the problem restoring from backup just was not a viable option.

I no longer rent space. I have my own dedicated box because of what happened. unfortunately the damage was done and my player base lost. Player participation is way down so simply because you got lucky doesn't mean the rest of the posts or my first post doesn't apply. I have actually played on your server when I first started but went to join friends on other servers and ended up having to start over like 5 times in two months until renting my own space.

Now I own my own space and rent space to others. I can tell you new spaces are not attracting new players and the complaints are still very much the same about gms and game play and even lack of communication from the devs. I am glad your server is still going strong.

Return to General Discussion