Monument Materials and Decay Settings and Trees, late game

Have some feedback for Life is Feudal? Post it here!
HolyCrusader
Beta Tester

Monument Materials and Decay Settings and Trees, late game

Post by HolyCrusader » 08 Dec 2015, 21:44

Right now, the materials to produce a material make it impossible to establish a base on a (MMO setting, 1-3 multiplier) server without GM intervention if the server has decay on. 40 prepared herbs requires significant investment of time into that skill line. If the server is populated, it may also be hard to obtain the 100 bones. All the work and materials collected by your group during that time can be lost to decay if they are dropped on the ground or structures built during the time you took to build a monument.

The group is extremely vulnerable to raiding without a monument and is most likely to be driven off the servers without protection by rules & enforcement by GMs. (If you're a GM, who has 24 hours a day to police this crap honestly?)

So, one alternative is to turn off decay. But then you just get a massive building up crap, abandoned settlements that take too long to disappear, etc. Server gets laggy. Not good. (

So the third alternative is to have no decay but for a couple of hours, turn on decay at a med-high setting, clear up the objects and disable it again. It requires bringing down the server twice and can be upsetting for players doing forging, etc if you have to restart the server all the time. You run the risk of destroying a new players settlement that didn't put a monument up (because they didnt know they can ask a GM for materials or whatever the reason is)

Fourth, you can have a low decay setting. The risk is that the growth and proliferation of objects will still be a higher rate than the decay. It also inhibits your ability to create events. If you have a neutral town, trader settlement or public arena that is not on a claim, it will all decay over time and GMs will have to invest heavy time to repair or rebuild it.

No matter what it is, it will be a lot of work for GMs.

Its really hard to find a good balance of settings the way it is. Has anyone found a perfect balance?

Also trees: Tree removal scripts work for awhile, in the early server lifecycle. As time goes on, players plant massive tree farms and don't remove stumps or use the logs. Other trees aren't cut down and left to grow into massive oak tree forests of quality 80+ that act as a barrier to horses or people trying to get around the map.

There needs to be natural mechanisms to regulate these trees. Infections, wildfires, storms, etc.

You can't just go and run a query to delete all Q80 trees because people with legitimate tree farms they are using will be pissed. So, GMs are stuck cutting down trees manually. It's bullshit :)

There needs to be more self-regulating / cleanup mechanisms in this game.

Asimov

Re: Monument Materials and Decay Settings and Trees, late game

Post by Asimov » 09 Dec 2015, 10:06

Yeps it can be a bitch to gather all the resources.
I got tired of the whole concept of people coming in and out all the time on our server. So we made a starter pack. And there is another good thing with the starter pack: It forces players to read the rules before they find out it exist ;-)

About your neutral city. Why don´t your Admin not make a second char and place a monument ?

With the trees i see it differently.
Players can plant all the trees they like. In the end they will be removed. If not by the owner, then by a siege crew at judgement hour or someone using them to get over the walls.

What i miss is more trees around the map. After about a month people have been gathering all the trees around them, So i would like a script that ad some random trees.

And a last little hint to you:
I get the feeling you are an Admin of a server. I suggest you start now to stop being scared of players being pissed at decision you make. If you are going to try and please everybody, you will be manipulated by a lot of players, and in the end it is a group of hardcore players who control the server.
If you think it is a great idea to remove all 80q trees (i am sure you don´t) then think of a great argument for it. Then present the idea to the players with the argument you have found. They will start screaming and crying. Then you just tell them to come up with a better solution to your tree problem... Then it is no longer your problem but the players. If they can´t find a solution that fits your problem, well then you just bring up the argument you had to begin with and delete the trees.
Yes people will cry and scream when you as Admin take decision. But trust me they will cry and scream even more if you don´t take decisions.
If you like to keep your server popular for more then a few month, you will not be popular. You can´t have both... And be ready to ban/kick friends of you... If they are real friends they will understand.

HolyCrusader
Beta Tester

Re: Monument Materials and Decay Settings and Trees, late game

Post by HolyCrusader » 09 Dec 2015, 17:53

Asimov wrote:Yeps it can be a bitch to gather all the resources.
I got tired of the whole concept of people coming in and out all the time on our server. So we made a starter pack. And there is another good thing with the starter pack: It forces players to read the rules before they find out it exist ;-)

About your neutral city. Why don´t your Admin not make a second char and place a monument ?

With the trees i see it differently.
Players can plant all the trees they like. In the end they will be removed. If not by the owner, then by a siege crew at judgement hour or someone using them to get over the walls.

What i miss is more trees around the map. After about a month people have been gathering all the trees around them, So i would like a script that ad some random trees.

And a last little hint to you:
I get the feeling you are an Admin of a server. I suggest you start now to stop being scared of players being pissed at decision you make. If you are going to try and please everybody, you will be manipulated by a lot of players, and in the end it is a group of hardcore players who control the server.
If you think it is a great idea to remove all 80q trees (i am sure you don´t) then think of a great argument for it. Then present the idea to the players with the argument you have found. They will start screaming and crying. Then you just tell them to come up with a better solution to your tree problem... Then it is no longer your problem but the players. If they can´t find a solution that fits your problem, well then you just bring up the argument you had to begin with and delete the trees.
Yes people will cry and scream when you as Admin take decision. But trust me they will cry and scream even more if you don´t take decisions.
If you like to keep your server popular for more then a few month, you will not be popular. You can´t have both... And be ready to ban/kick friends of you... If they are real friends they will understand.

I don't mind if people are pissed, its just important to be fair

:)

Good suggestion - i'll probably have to create a couple of GM characters to protect everything :)

Return to Feedback Section