New Player Rant

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Sovietshark

New Player Rant

Post by Sovietshark » 05 Dec 2017, 04:07

OKAY SO, Sorry to rant but I did play a bit of LiF:YO and a friend and I who owned that game, looking forward to this MMO, saw it came out and we had access so we recently downloaded this. So let me go into what just pissed us off.

Firstly, we spawned on opposite sides of the world. Really. If we can add each other, can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make some way for us to spawn in a semi-relative location to each other? I didn't log in to play this MMO with random people, I logged in to play it with my friend and other friends who own/people we were trying to convince to buy this game. This was really annoying because we had to run for literally hours to meet up. That is worse than DayZ, but it only gets better.

Secondly, we are brand new to the game. I think I had a primitive axe on myself and some apples from some wild apple trees. We met up and were running around and stumbled upon a town. NOW IN FEAR OF GETTING KILLED, WE DID NOT (And I would like to repeat) DID NOT TAKE ANYTHING. We simply talked to the guy who rode up to us and said "We are just passing through, were new to the game". Guess what happened. Murdered. However, why the HELL did MY alignment decrease when he attacked ME first? I was attacked. I was innocent. I had nothing and he swung his sword at me.

Not only did we die, but then being new we also lost stats. I can understand the stat loss if, ya know, we had actually put up some sort of fight and fought back or had some gear on us... but we had nothing. We lost so much in terms of stats, in a game where stats take a long time to level up, and then we ALSO had reduced movement speed upon respawning.

Thirdly, we respawned on opposite ends of the world. Again. Our friends in the call with us who we were previously convincing to buy this game suddenly became quite turned off by the premise that we now had to run for HOURS again to meet up only for the possibility to get slain by some dicks. But that isn't my third complaint, my third complaint is WHY AM I PUNISHED WITH SLOW RUNNING for some random dick killing me, a new person with nothing and no home? This REALLY just shuts me off from the game because it hinders me from meeting up with my friend in a timely manner.

Not only did I have a running issue, I also had this "The gods do not want you to go here" and had it not been for some helpful soul in a blue tabard who I so happened to stumble across while he was sitting afk in a field, I would never have figured out I had to run halfway back across server 28 to log out, restart the entire game, and then I could run back across it. What is this? I understand this glitch, glitches happen especially in beta... but please at least fix the experience for new people. At least make it so I can spawn NEAR some friends whom are on my friends list if they allow you to.

Edit: The game looks extremely promising and I WANT to like it, but this is quite annoying to just... die and then be punished while trying to meet up.

Edit 2: I understand this game is very hardcore and suppose to be unforgiving, but at least give the option to spawn near each other. This is SUCH a turn off to run across the giant open world for being killed by some people. Not just a turn off, but it will hinder this game from going big because group of friends will always want to stick together.

Aresgamingfraternity

Re: New Player Rant

Post by Aresgamingfraternity » 05 Dec 2017, 08:22

Just wait until you realize how long it will take you to build a house...and then find out it will spontaneously combust in a few days. Yes, it magically degrades to nothing very quickly. Which means you'll have to build a whole new shack to live in every few days.

But the best part is that you'll soon discover that in order to claim land you need copper coins. Where do you get the copper coins? You have to march your butt over to a trading post (and hope it isn't glitched) and haul a building log there because the crown isn't interested in anything else noobs can make. Which means what exactly?

Well, it means you'll be deforesting the server, cutting down tree after tree to build your shacks (that spontaneously combust after a few days) and cutting down more trees to sell to the crown. Why? Because it order to maintain your personal property claim you need to feed copper coins to your greedy god or your property claim disappears.

But that isn't the best part...

Right now you and buddy can't even defend yourselves against a wolf, or any players who have marginally better weapons than you. Are you collecting food to eat? Perhaps some servings of salman and cod? Not to worry, pretty soon you'll have that stolen by another player...and then your house will spontaneously combust...and then your god will be asking for more money...and then you'll be killed by a wolf...and then you'll be spawning clear across the map again.

Welcome to Life is Feudal.

It's NOT supposed to be a fun game. It's in the title. Life is FUTILE. It's pointless. The game is NOT broken. The game is supposed to be dreadfully annoying and completely no fun, unles you enjoy a painfully aggravating experience.

This game is for masochists (i.e., people who like pain).

Think I'm joking? Just wait for the fanboys who say things like "I enjoy the grind" or "Big deal that you respawn hours away from your buddies" or other nonsense that literally defends a painfully stupid and utterly absurd gaming experience.

Magistrum

Post by Magistrum » 05 Dec 2017, 12:09

Aresgamingfraternity wrote:Just wait until you realize how long it will take you to build a house...and then find out it will spontaneously combust in a few days. Yes, it magically degrades to nothing very quickly. Which means you'll have to build a whole new shack to live in every few days.

But the best part is that you'll soon discover that in order to claim land you need copper coins. Where do you get the copper coins? You have to march your butt over to a trading post (and hope it isn't glitched) and haul a building log there because the crown isn't interested in anything else noobs can make. Which means what exactly?

Well, it means you'll be deforesting the server, cutting down tree after tree to build your shacks (that spontaneously combust after a few days) and cutting down more trees to sell to the crown. Why? Because it order to maintain your personal property claim you need to feed copper coins to your greedy god or your property claim disappears.

But that isn't the best part...

Right now you and buddy can't even defend yourselves against a wolf, or any players who have marginally better weapons than you. Are you collecting food to eat? Perhaps some servings of salman and cod? Not to worry, pretty soon you'll have that stolen by another player...and then your house will spontaneously combust...and then your god will be asking for more money...and then you'll be killed by a wolf...and then you'll be spawning clear across the map again.

Welcome to Life is Feudal.

It's NOT supposed to be a fun game. It's in the title. Life is FUTILE. It's pointless. The game is NOT broken. The game is supposed to be dreadfully annoying and completely no fun, unles you enjoy a painfully aggravating experience.

This game is for masochists (i.e., people who like pain).

Think I'm joking? Just wait for the fanboys who say things like "I enjoy the grind" or "Big deal that you respawn hours away from your buddies" or other nonsense that literally defends a painfully stupid and utterly absurd gaming experience.

Troll

Aresgamingfraternity

Post by Aresgamingfraternity » 05 Dec 2017, 13:49

Magistrum wrote:Troll

You're nothin but goddamn fanboy.

This game is broken in every way. If you orded a meal at a restaurant and the waiter brought you an empty plate, you'd ask for your money back.

Fanboy's like you don't give a shit. This game is an empty plate for a lot of people. They are selling a game that people can't even login to and that is riddled with problems and bad programming.

You're a $!#ing joke and this game is nothing but a scam.

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 05 Dec 2017, 14:28

Aresgamingfraternity wrote:

This game is broken in every way. If you orded a meal at a restaurant and the waiter brought you an empty plate, you'd ask for your money back.

Fanboy's like you don't give a shit. This game is an empty plate for a lot of people. They are selling a game that people can't even login to and that is riddled with problems and bad programming.

No need to get angry about it.

You were misguiding this poor noob. The OP is right about the spawn issue and the alignment issue with defending yourself. But the problems you listed are because you are not using the correct mechanics to do things right.

If you just randomly plop a shack down, which takes 30minutes to an hour at most. You need to place a personal claim down and make sure the claim covers the WHOLE shack, to keep it from decaying. Every day a structure or item decays about 10% if not on a claim. So 50% per real life day.

This is to keep the game from being littered with trash.

Defending yourself from a wolf is hard... until you make real weapons. A primitive hatchet is not a weapon, it is a tool. I challenge you to go fight a wolf in real life with a stone axe... tell me how that works out for you.

Aresgamingfraternity

Post by Aresgamingfraternity » 05 Dec 2017, 14:54

Hodo wrote:

You were misguiding this poor noob. The OP is right about the spawn issue and the alignment issue with defending yourself. But the problems you listed are because you are not using the correct mechanics to do things right.

If you just randomly plop a shack down, which takes 30minutes to an hour at most. You need to place a personal claim down and make sure the claim covers the WHOLE shack, to keep it from decaying. Every day a structure or item decays about 10% if not on a claim. So 50% per real life day.

Defending yourself from a wolf is hard... until you make real weapons. A primitive hatchet is not a weapon, it is a tool. I challenge you to go fight a wolf in real life with a stone axe... tell me how that works out for you.

More fanboy comments. You believe three grown mean can't beat the life out of a wolf with stone hatches? What world do you live in? Three grown men in Life is Feudal MMO couldn't even beat up a deer without getting broken ribs, and one of them almost half dead. You aint just a fanboy, you're obviously a city boy whose clueless about nature.

How do you expand your claim area? I'd love to know that. With coins? So you have to cut down trees, haul building logs to a trading post (hopefully it works) and then provide your greedy god with copper coins?

Deforestation is a serious problem in this game. You have to grind to get the skills to plant trees. Little kids can be taught how to plant trees in about two minutes.

So what happens? Noobs cut down trees that have viable tree sprouts that they can't harvest or plant. So the game world gets deforested.

Aresgamingfraternity

Post by Aresgamingfraternity » 05 Dec 2017, 14:58

Kazakh Man 'Kills Wolf with Bare Hands'

https://themoscowtimes.com/articles/kaz ... ands-27404

...meanwhile cityboy believes three grown men can't kill a wolf with stone hatchets.

Here's some children planting trees, but a grown man in Life is Feudal has to grind his butt off to figure out how to plant a tree. Meanwhile the game world is getting deforested by noobs whose characters are clearly retarded because the character can't figure out how to plant a tree...but a child can!

Aresgamingfraternity

Post by Aresgamingfraternity » 05 Dec 2017, 15:00

This old woman killed a wolf with an axe but cityboy believes three grown men can't kill a wolf even if they're armed with stone hatchets.

Gruber

Post by Gruber » 05 Dec 2017, 15:11

Probably a spoiled brad, born with a silver spoon up his arse. Do yourself a favor and go back to WoW. LiF is clearly not for you. Next time try to get some infos about a game you want to buy. Then you might be able (i do not believe that you can do that, sadly) to realise if a game suits you or not before you spend money on it. LiF was always advertised as a hardcore sandbox game.

Here some fish....

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 05 Dec 2017, 16:49

More fanboy comments. You believe three grown mean can't beat the life out of a wolf with stone hatches? What world do you live in? Three grown men in Life is Feudal MMO couldn't even beat up a deer without getting broken ribs, and one of them almost half dead. You aint just a fanboy, you're obviously a city boy whose clueless about nature.

How do you expand your claim area? I'd love to know that. With coins? So you have to cut down trees, haul building logs to a trading post (hopefully it works) and then provide your greedy god with copper coins?

Deforestation is a serious problem in this game. You have to grind to get the skills to plant trees. Little kids can be taught how to plant trees in about two minutes.

So what happens? Noobs cut down trees that have viable tree sprouts that they can't harvest or plant. So the game world gets deforested.

I love how everyone is a fanboi if they dont agree with you.

Sorry but I am not even going to continue to try and talk to you. It is obvious you are an petulant child who still thinks the world revolves around them.

And I grew up in the country, I have hunted, and still do. And I can tell you now, a simple "pig" can kill you faster than any wolf. A deer will also kill you if you are a threat to it. Humans are by far one of the weakest creatures on this planet, without our technology.

But I am done... till you learn to come back with a real argument and debate like an adult instead of name calling and bad internet videos.

Tashka

Post by Tashka » 06 Dec 2017, 00:00

You guys seem to not understand that the devs expect the game to be populated by ten thousand people. Guess what - not going to happen if it doesnt get more friendly to newbies when it's released on Steam.

People are not buying this game for 1500 rubles (hell knows what the cost is in $) if they don't understand that it's hardcore and all. I've bought YO like 2 or 3 years ago though i wasn't really interested in YO itself - just wanted to support the devs and get my place in a MMO when it comes out. Back then they promised there will be only cosmetic items in a shop, but let's not even talk about this. Yesterday i also had to buy a pagan's pack because it turned out i NEED that insurance and it's better to buy a pack with all the additional benefits than to just buy premium. Then i bought a pack for my girlfriend. Do you think i'm a "filthy casual" who doesn't know shit about this game?

Having spent years in UO, FOnline, some months in Wurm and Eve i've found LiF to be the most difficult to a newbie. All for some really stupid reasons.

First is private claims. Small claims should be free because not only the game doesn't do a very good job on how to get those coins (the official video on building a house doesn't even mention the decay thing), but it's quite difficult to obtain tham as someone with a new character and less than 8hrs a day to play. You don't need to invent stuff like copper coins to prevent trash from overwhelming a server. Just make sure you manually update the claim every day.

Second is resource scarcity. It's just very unrealistic. A guild leader shouldn't be worried about how some noob cuts down trees on their land to build a single shack - and then drive that noob from their land for this very reason. If a game designed to maintain a population of 10000 has barely enough resources for 1000 there are some serious design problems.

Third is lack on information on game mechanics. It's easy to figure out how to build basic stuff, but finding any information about some advanced stuff like the said private claims is pain. Official wiki is terribly outdated. Official videos only cover the basics. And fan-made videos only cover YO most of the time.

Fourth is toxic guilds. When you've just spent a day to settle and then some piece of *** comes and tells you to go away just because you don't speak french it's crap. Don't get me wrong - i'm ok with being driven away because i've made some stupid things (because i didn't know how scarce and valuable resources are because no one bothered to tell me that) like building a noob house thus wasting a few trees that obviously were lacking in IX century (whereas there is still enough wood in Russia to sell to other countries in XXI century). But this nazi s**t is just toxicity and nothing else. Such behaviour is disguisting and no normal person would want to play with people like that.

This game doesn't even do a good job in simulating medieval life. Back then they couldn't join guilds by joining a discord channel and proving that they are valuable. Villages and towns formed spontaniously and that's exactly what i expected from this game.

Now imagine a situation when LiF is released on steam and a horde of new players swarm the game just to realize there's no place left for them and even guilds don't want them because they don't have 3 years of experience in YO and s**t like that? Do you think there will be ANY good reviews?

The only thing that i believe can save this game is RP server - it's still problematic but at least there will be less 30-years old children playing. But devs should really rethink their ticket system for that to happen - most people will try normal servers first, and then they will find that they have to buy a new ticket to move to RP server. Most people will just not bother.
Shadow queen, tyrant, crooked whore, bloody goddess, Princess of Verna, self-proclaimed Queen in Kingdom of the North (Epleland)

Books for the people! - a client mod to let you write books and messages

Aresgamingfraternity

Post by Aresgamingfraternity » 06 Dec 2017, 03:26

Lai.tash wrote:You guys seem to not understand that the devs expect the game to be populated by ten thousand people. Guess what - not going to happen if it doesnt get more friendly to newbies when it's released on Steam.

I see this game going the way of Darkfall, which was from a financial standpoint a complete failure. The game is a niche within a niche that caters to an extremely small demographic, and fails to satisfy many people within that demographic. Darkfall is not friendly to newbies and neither is this game. Fanboys will cry, “It’s supposed to be brutal,” and that’s all well and good but it doesn’t translate into dollars. Without significant dollars the game will be slow to improve (which is what we’re witnessing) and it will eventually die.

The game needs to be a more welcoming and forgiving to noobs, while getting increasingly brutal. Things which are not welcoming to noobs:

• New players cannot spawn near friends.
  • When you die you spawn at a random place far away from your friends. You spend an hour or more (approximately 15 minutes travel time across each grid square) and then die, and have to travel to your buddies all over again. That is not a welcoming experience.
  • New players are easy prey for griefers and player killers. Yes, the game is supposed to be brutal, but this is just a platform for bullies. Nobody likes to get bullied, so creating a game where bullies thrive and new players have no recourse, and in fact are “punished” (spawning far away, losing items, after getting bullied) is not enjoyable or inviting.
  • The whole claim system is broken and not inviting to new players. It is difficult to even make a claim. Getting copper coins isn’t easy for new players.
    Not being able to kill a wolf is simply absurd.

So basically it’s open season on new players. The new player can’t defend himself against other players or predatory animals. That is not a fun experience.

Claims should not be a feature, insofar as they magically protect a player’s possessions. Claims should only serve as a means of notifying other players what you consider your property. You own what you can protect—period.
  • Add ability to bury object.
  • Add ability to create a chest with a lock.
  • Add skill to “find buried treasure.”
  • Add skill to “create lockpicks.”
  • Add skill to “pick lock.”
  • Add skill to “bash/break lock.”
  • Add ability “hide item within object” (i.e., create secret compartment). Each object has a certain amount of storage space that can be used. For example, a table has x-amount of “concealed item” storage space (enough to hide a knife, etc.). Where is the item hidden? It’s strapped under the table’s surface, or in a hollow leg, but the game doesn’t have to specifically say that—it’s assumed. You can place your coins in a box, or you can “hide item within object” and what your character does is create a secret compartment within the box. Again, the game doesn’t say that, but a search for hidden objects reveals coins are hidden within the box.
  • Add skill to “search for concealed items.”

Deforestation is a real issue in this game. It should not take hours and days of grinding to be able to plant trees. It should not require weeks for a tree to grow. They’ve created a situation in which a few players could easily deforest a whole grid square just to screw with a guild, or if the player just wanted to be an asshole on the server.

These are real issues. Fanboys do not help games succeed. Constructive criticism and honest reviews do.

sunleader
Zealous Believer

Post by sunleader » 06 Dec 2017, 08:38

Hodo wrote:

Not to Delve too much into the Topic itself.
Cause making a Camp and a Respawn Location is not that hard to make sure you respawn next to each other.

And the reason he lost alignment and got killed is likely cause he went onto the claim which is mostly a tutorial problem as new Players dont get any proper explanations to this.

But the one thing I have to Comment on.
Is the thing with the Wolf ^^

A Single Wolf will usually not Attack Humans.
Humans are Bigger and Stronger than a Wolf.
And the Wolf will not Attack them alone unless they are Desperate.

And the reason why most Fights between a Human and a Wolf end in Favor of the Wolf. Is not due to the Wolf being Stronger. But because of the Human being Scared.

A Human believe it or not. Is quite the Strong Creature.
An Adult Man is usually an 80kg Heavy Guy that can easily Lift up an Animal the Size of the Wolf if he wants to.
A Human Kicking a Wolf with Full Force will not rarely Break several Bones for that Wolf. And if the much Bigger Human manages to Stomp onto a Wolf from above. Thats usually a Death Sentence for that Wolf cause he will take inner Inner Injuries beyond his capacity to Heal without Medicinal Help.

So a Human with a Stone Hatched. While not much of a Threat to an Armored Knight.
Is in reality very well enough deal with a Single Wolf.
And being honest even a Bare Handed Human can easily Crush a Single Wolf in Reality.

For a Wolf to Attack a Human.
Is Similar to a Human attempting to Attack a Bear with nothing but a Small Knife :)

just to add my 2 cents ^^
Pls dont kill this Game by making it an Empty and Dead PvP Arena. The niche of players is so incredible small that it hardly supports one such game. And we already got 10 or so on the Market....

Gruber

Post by Gruber » 06 Dec 2017, 10:38

• New players cannot spawn near friends.
  • When you die you spawn at a random place far away from your friends. You spend an hour or more (approximately 15 minutes travel time across each grid square) and then die, and have to travel to your buddies all over again. That is not a welcoming experience.
  • New players are easy prey for griefers and player killers. Yes, the game is supposed to be brutal, but this is just a platform for bullies. Nobody likes to get bullied, so creating a game where bullies thrive and new players have no recourse, and in fact are “punished” (spawning far away, losing items, after getting bullied) is not enjoyable or inviting.
  • The whole claim system is broken and not inviting to new players. It is difficult to even make a claim. Getting copper coins isn’t easy for new players.
    Not being able to kill a wolf is simply absurd.

This game is not WoW and will never be.
Everything on your list is somehow true but it shows that this game is not meant for everyone. If a noob gets bothered by such small things like not spawning near their friends or the need of a house as spawnpoint, they will never ever have fun with this game at any time. These players will always complain about not getting their free epic weapon for a simple 5 min quest. This game is full of hours and hours of pure grind, just watching a loading bar over and over and over. Building something up alone takes many many hours of simple grinding tasks and Devs try to set the bar even higher to slow down big guilds.

Aresgamingfraternity wrote:So basically it’s open season on new players. The new player can’t defend himself against other players or predatory animals. That is not a fun experience.

If they get mad about the fact that they actually have a hard time alone in a survival world, the survival gameplay does not suits them. I never played a survival game that is newbie friendly.

Aresgamingfraternity wrote:Claims should not be a feature, insofar as they magically protect a player’s possessions. Claims should only serve as a means of notifying other players what you consider your property. You own what you can protect—period.
  • Add ability to bury object.
  • Add ability to create a chest with a lock.
  • Add skill to “find buried treasure.”
  • Add skill to “create lockpicks.”
  • Add skill to “pick lock.”
  • Add skill to “bash/break lock.”
  • Add ability “hide item within object” (i.e., create secret compartment). Each object has a certain amount of storage space that can be used. For example, a table has x-amount of “concealed item” storage space (enough to hide a knife, etc.). Where is the item hidden? It’s strapped under the table’s surface, or in a hollow leg, but the game doesn’t have to specifically say that—it’s assumed. You can place your coins in a box, or you can “hide item within object” and what your character does is create a secret compartment within the box. Again, the game doesn’t say that, but a search for hidden objects reveals coins are hidden within the box.
  • Add skill to “search for concealed items.”

The Claim system and decay is there to prevent a trashed world where you find only ruins of players that realise after a week that the game does not suits them.

Aresgamingfraternity wrote:Deforestation is a real issue in this game. It should not take hours and days of grinding to be able to plant trees. It should not require weeks for a tree to grow. They’ve created a situation in which a few players could easily deforest a whole grid square just to screw with a guild, or if the player just wanted to be an asshole on the server.

You must be very new to LiF. Tree growth was a lot faster in the old days. Devs do a lot to slow down big guilds (game is designed for big groups, YO is for single player). They slowed down tree growth by 4x times. They slowed down skill time by 10x times. They resently slowed down stone wall building time by putting in another step.

1 Year ago, big groups were able to set up stone walls within 1-2 Days. Trees grew in 3-4 days. By heavy grinding you were able to max out some skills within a few hours.

Aresgamingfraternity wrote:These are real issues. Fanboys do not help games succeed. Constructive criticism and honest reviews do.

Devs did a lot against casuals. Its not fanboys, it is you buyed a wrong game and now want it to be changed as you wishes.
Devs went exactly in another direction than you want the game to be, always towards more time consuming and less newby friendly.

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 06 Dec 2017, 15:38

Sunleader wrote:

Cause making a Camp and a Respawn Location is not that hard to make sure you respawn next to each other.

And the reason he lost alignment and got killed is likely cause he went onto the claim which is mostly a tutorial problem as new Players dont get any proper explanations to this.

And the reason why most Fights between a Human and a Wolf end in Favor of the Wolf. Is not due to the Wolf being Stronger. But because of the Human being Scared.

An Adult Man is usually an 80kg Heavy Guy that can easily Lift up an Animal the Size of the Wolf if he wants to.
A Human Kicking a Wolf with Full Force will not rarely Break several Bones for that Wolf. And if the much Bigger Human manages to Stomp onto a Wolf from above. Thats usually a Death Sentence for that Wolf cause he will take inner Inner Injuries beyond his capacity to Heal without Medicinal Help.

So a Human with a Stone Hatched. While not much of a Threat to an Armored Knight.
And being honest even a Bare Handed Human can easily Crush a Single Wolf in Reality.

Is Similar to a Human attempting to Attack a Bear with nothing but a Small Knife :)

You are assuming a wolf stands there.

A hungry wolf, will attack a human, and WILL kill a human. Much like a mountain lion, which is smaller than a wolf. Same for coyotes, which will also kill a person. I know I lived in Arizona for a few years, and I would see at least once a year how someone got killed by a coyote attack.

Even a dog can kill a man. Your average wolf weighs in around 45-50kg. That makes them about as bigger than a German Shepard.

A wolf's bite is as strong as a rottweiler. So yeah.. while a man if he manages to kick a wolf, the wolf is more likely to kill the man.

Tashka

Post by Tashka » 06 Dec 2017, 16:05

Gruber wrote:This game is not WoW and will never be.

This is hillarious. No one is asking for safezones, bans for PK, NPCs with quests and anything like that, just pointing out some issues that add nothing to "hardcoreness" and only scare new players before they even have a chance to like the game, and here we go: someone comes up with a "WoW" argument.

Everything on your list is somehow true but it shows that this game is not meant for everyone.

If they are not solved there will be no one very soon. Too bad, i really wanted a game with thousands of players in a harsh medieval sandbox environment.

If a noob gets bothered by such small things like not spawning near their friends or the need of a house as spawnpoint, they will never ever have fun with this game at any time.

Are you sure about this? This game doesn't even give them a chance to like this game. Not all of us are YO veterans, most people just log in (that is, if they can) knowing very little about how to do basic stuff and the game says fuck you a billion times. The first impression DOES NOT show what the game is really like.

When i first logged in to YO to have a first impression it was much easier. There were like 60 or so people living on server and most of them were offline, so no one touched or even saw me. There was enough resources for 10x more people, much faster skillgain and much less restrictive skillcap. There was also a shtton of bugs and only a single bald dude to choose from but given the alpha state of the game it was expected. Those who started in YO had a chance to learn a game in a relatively comfortable environment. New players don't have this luxury.

It only takes a few days to figure out how things work here but they leave before LiF has a chance to show that it's actually not that bad. Let them spawn close to their friends. Let them have a free 6x6 private claim for one week that needs to be refreshed every day. You don't make a game hardcore by turning it into a frustrationfest for newbies while it's much easier (even if more grindy) and fun for experienced players.

These players will always complain about not getting their free epic weapon for a simple 5 min quest.

No need to exaggerate. This is not what people want.

The Claim system and decay is there to prevent a trashed world where you find only ruins of players that realise after a week that the game does not suits them.

In it's current state the claim system is one of the main reasons why they leave in the first place.

You must be very new to LiF. Tree growth was a lot faster in the old days. Devs do a lot to slow down big guilds (game is designed for big groups, YO is for single player). They slowed down tree growth by 4x times. They slowed down skill time by 10x times. They resently slowed down stone wall building time by putting in another step.

They should've put 8 more steps and leave the tree growth as it was. This is how things worked in Wurm, there was plenty of resources but it took a lot of time to build anything.
Shadow queen, tyrant, crooked whore, bloody goddess, Princess of Verna, self-proclaimed Queen in Kingdom of the North (Epleland)

sunleader
Zealous Believer

Post by sunleader » 06 Dec 2017, 16:41

Hodo wrote:
Sunleader wrote:

You are assuming a wolf stands there.

A hungry wolf, will attack a human, and WILL kill a human. Much like a mountain lion, which is smaller than a wolf. Same for coyotes, which will also kill a person. I know I lived in Arizona for a few years, and I would see at least once a year how someone got killed by a coyote attack.

Even a dog can kill a man. Your average wolf weighs in around 45-50kg. That makes them about as bigger than a German Shepard.

A wolf's bite is as strong as a rottweiler. So yeah.. while a man if he manages to kick a wolf, the wolf is more likely to kill the man.

Sorry Mate.
But just not the case.

You might not Realize that.
But a Wolf is really Weak compared to a Mountain Lion.
Hes got far less Power in his Muscles. Hes got much duller and shorter Claws.
And much Shorter Fangs.

There is a Reason why only an Desperate and Hungry Wolf will Attack a Human at all.
As I said Mate.
Most Humans simply Panic. They dont Fight back and rather try to Escape.
thats why they end up Killed by Coyotes and other Stuff.
Needless to say that Modern Humans living in the City seriously Lack Muscle and Guts.

In a 1 vs 1 Fight a Wolf Stands very little Chance against a Human.
A Mountain Lion would be a different Story by the way.
Simply because it has much more Power and Muscles.
It can take a Beating much better than a Wolf.
And most of all its Claws are Deadly and capable of cutting through your Skin without requiring to Bite you.

Also just so you know.
We always had Landseer Dogs.
They can Bite through the Upper Leg Bone of a Cow like its a Candy Bar.
Its 1m high on Shoulders and 80kg Heavy.

And take a Guess. I am Stronger than our Dog.
That Dog aint Weak. But ultimately its just a Dog.
A Kick in the Ribs and I would Break most of them.

The reason why it would still easily Kill almost any Human nowdays is not due to its Power.
Its because most Humans nowdays are so damn scared that they dont even Fight back.

Thing is. Back then that was a bit Different.
Fighting and Killing was not that unusual.

A Pack of Wolves is Dangerous of course.
But a Single Wolf is something that a Human can easily Beat in a Fight.
Pls dont kill this Game by making it an Empty and Dead PvP Arena. The niche of players is so incredible small that it hardly supports one such game. And we already got 10 or so on the Market....

Gruber

Post by Gruber » 06 Dec 2017, 17:18

Lai.tash wrote:Are you sure about this? This game doesn't even give them a chance to like this game. Not all of us are YO veterans, most people just log in (that is, if they can) knowing very little about how to do basic stuff and the game says fuck you a billion times. The first impression DOES NOT show what the game is really like.

LiF is a survival game and if you do not like this style of game, you will never have fun with it. Devs stated out that they want LiF to be a game where you spent a lot of time in it and that you need a lot of time to even achiv little thing.
If a player gets so easily frustrated by such small things like different spawn points (never had a survival game where freinds spawn at the same place) or some pvp kills or not being able to kill every animal from the start. Than these players will dislike other things that, skilling str at the well for 10 hours for a few points, shovel dirt for days, lose everything at war (not only your inventory, but everything you build up for weeks).

If one is not willing to spent a few hours at the start to learn the game and running to his mates, they will dislike losing everthing at death or other things.

Lai.tash wrote:
These players will always complain about not getting their free epic weapon for a simple 5 min quest.

No need to exaggerate. This is not what people want.

There is a lot of complaining about minor things like the personal claim system. Those people want everything given to them in a short time. Casuals who want to own their own claim with less then one hour playtime a day. But the MMO does not offer this. I repeat myself a lot, but people who want to solo play in peace should take a look at YO, that suits them way more.

Lai.tash wrote:In it's current state the claim system is one of the main reasons why they leave in the first place.

And that is a good thing. I like LiF because Devs do not have a big puplisher in their back forcing them to streamline the game to suit the masses. We do not need the masses to stay, everyone knew that LiF will only be played by a few people. Not even 10k Players at the start, a big puplisher would call this a disaster and dump the project as soon as possible. lukily thats not the case.

Lai.tash wrote:They should've put 8 more steps and leave the tree growth as it was. This is how things worked in Wurm, there was plenty of resources but it took a lot of time to build anything.

However you do it, in the end it will hurt those the most who now complain here that they cant play LiF with less than 10 people.

Tashka

Post by Tashka » 06 Dec 2017, 17:47

Gruber wrote:[
LiF is a survival game and if you do not like this style of game, you will never have fun with it.

It was never advertised as a typical survival game, more like murm+mount&blade+ultima.

I've played all of them A LOT. I've spent quite some time in Wurm when it was much more grindy than LiF is now and you didn't even have autogrind features, you had to actually click for something to happen. And there were wolves and trolls and giant spiders that wanted to kill you. And i had tons of fun.

But the first day in LiF was so unfriendly that it almost made me quit. That's after years of waiting and spending quite a lot of money on it. And bear in mind that i actually do enjoy the game now. Even more so than it was with wurm. Now what you're saying is that because i was ready to quit at the start this game is not for me? That's absurd.

Than these players will dislike other things that, skilling str at the well for 10 hours for a few points, shovel dirt for days, lose everything at war (not only your inventory, but everything you build up for weeks).

I've already proven this to be incorrect - i was ready to uninstall LiF for quite some time and then started to enjoy it. Maybe if i had some emergency job to do IRL i would uninstall it after all, and wouldn't have a chance to enjoy it now.

And that is a good thing.

It is not. I imagine keeping a sandbox MMO with a non-target combat, building, digging and stuff is really expensive and it will not survive without influx of new players.

I like LiF because Devs do not have a big puplisher in their back forcing them to streamline the game to suit the masses.

It doesn't need to suit the masses. A niche game can be extremely successful if it doesn't scare off players in a first few days. It doesn't need to be "more casual" or anything.

We do not need the masses to stay

Yes you do, as much as possible without compromising the original design too much. Otherwise the game will either shut down, or will be consumed by some hungry EA-style publisher and you'll get magical swords, questgivers, and loot boxes in shop. Since LiF is very promising i think the latter is much more likely to happen.

However you do it, in the end it will hurt those the most who now complain here that they cant play LiF with less than 10 people.
[/quote][/quote]

Nope. I was actually very surprised and a little dissapointed about how fast it is to build stuff here.

Gruber

Post by Gruber » 07 Dec 2017, 08:40

Lai.tash wrote:Yes you do, as much as possible without compromising the original design too much. Otherwise the game will either shut down, or will be consumed by some hungry EA-style publisher and you'll get magical swords, questgivers, and loot boxes in shop. Since LiF is very promising i think the latter is much more likely to happen.

Not possible. There is no way that a game can be hardcore and casual at the same time. The in between version is the EA-style (grind with time or simply buy your own one player kindom)

99% of all crybabys here in the forum are solo player or playing in a small group, complaining about that LiF is not easy to play alone. Those players are either not willing to learn the game mechanic or the grindy gameplay does not suits them.
You have now the choice between changing your game to make it easier for solo players and watch all big groups leave because of boredom or let your game stay as hardcore and grindy it is and watch the small amount of solo players leave.

It is simply an illusion that LiF will attract more plays when it is released (it is already) or with the steam release. LiF is already advertised for years and there will be no magic happen that will attract the masses. YO is out for too long that we will the a PUBG effect or something.

Tashka

Post by Tashka » 07 Dec 2017, 10:41

Gruber wrote:Not possible. There is no way that a game can be hardcore and casual at the same time.

No one said it should be casual.

99% of all crybabys here in the forum are solo player or playing in a small group, complaining about that LiF is not easy to play alone.

It's not "not easy", it's nearly impossible in it's current state. And just because people who are willing to play a sandbox MMO in a different way than you do does not make them crybabies, casuals or whatever. There ARE ways to make small groups viable without making everything casual.

You have now the choice between changing your game to make it easier for solo players and watch all big groups leave because of boredom

How does any change suggested in this thread makes the game any less fun for big groups?

Also the hard truth here is that no game ever was shut down because of big groups leaving. I've seen this "we (the Big Groups) will leave if you implement this and then you'll see" too many times.

It doesn't have to be like this. There are more hardcore players in the world than you think, it's just not all of them enjoy playing in a large guild, even if only because having to always use discord ruins their immersion.

YO is out for too long that we will the a PUBG effect or something.

People are interested in MMO, not YO. We have too many survival games for 64 players already, and tbh YO is in not superior to competitors.

Gruber

Post by Gruber » 07 Dec 2017, 11:38

Lai.tash wrote:There ARE ways to make small groups viable without making everything casual.

If you do, everything will be a lot easier with big groups. There is no in between that would be fine for both groups. Nearly everything at this subject can be abused. Not realy a abuse but look at the guild farm claims if you want an idea.
Anyway, if you want small groups to have fun on the long run, there have to be some sort of protection against big groups. But the main idea behind LiF is, that the players make the laws.

Lai.tash wrote:How does any change suggested in this thread makes the game any less fun for big groups?

Politics and big alliances are a big part of the game. In order to protect small groups, Devs have to take away a hugh part of this freedom of self declared kingdoms.

Lai.tash wrote:Also the hard truth here is that no game ever was shut down because of big groups leaving. I've seen this "we (the Big Groups) will leave if you implement this and then you'll see" too many times.

Actually big groups are around 60%-70% of the population.
I would not risk to piss them all of, by heavy game changes to make the game more interesting for casuals that stay not longer than one month.

Lai.tash wrote:People are interested in MMO, not YO. We have too many survival games for 64 players already, and tbh YO is in not superior to competitors.

That was not the point

Tashka

Post by Tashka » 07 Dec 2017, 11:51

Gruber wrote:If you do, everything will be a lot easier with big groups.

Nope. They could make resources more common but increase gathering and production times. For this to not take away one reason to go to war, make the most valuable resources required for high-end stuff less common. Unify combat and crafting skills and reduce skill cap to 600 - this way you'll have to rely on peaceful farmers or sacrifice your fighting skills (ok most likely you'll start relying on alts but it's just a thought). Fix trading posts to improve economy. Ask CCP to lend their economical advisor.

Lai.tash wrote:How does any change suggested in this thread makes the game any less fun for big groups?

No one's telling that there should be any form of forced protection. I'll quit LiF if this ever happens. And that's what i'm trying to say: if nothing is done right now, sooner or later the devs will have to make decisions like this to attract new players when they've already lost a moment and more hardcore players already tried this game and left to never come back.

Lai.tash wrote:Actually big groups are around 60%-70% of the population.
I would not risk to piss them all of, by heavy game changes to make the game more interesting for casuals that stay not longer than one month.

Even if it is now, i think most hardcore LiF fans who are forming those big groups mostly are already here. So most newbies will be solo/small group players.

Gruber

Post by Gruber » 07 Dec 2017, 13:14

Lai.tash wrote:Nope. They could make resources more common but increase gathering and production times. For this to not take away one reason to go to war, make the most valuable resources required for high-end stuff less common

Do we play the same game? This is how it works actually. there are more than enough resources. No need to start a war over resources, but people seek for any kind of reason to start a war.
server lag is one reason guilds start wars, just to empty their server note.
And do not forget, people pvp just for fun, there is no reason needed.
Devs already take advantage out of activ pvp players, alignment loss is to big to counter it for regular pvp player. PvP players are more likely to buy a new ticket.

Lai.tash wrote:No one's telling that there should be any form of forced protection.

Than it is only a matter of time until all the crybabys who are against playing with other people, will be over run, lose everything and then simply quit.
I say it again, someone who needs to complain in forums about getting killed in early times, will not accept to lose everything he did.

Lai.tash wrote:hardcore players already tried this game and left to never come back.

So what, developing a game for 1% of gamers will only hold 1%.

Lai.tash wrote:Even if it is now, i think most hardcore LiF fans who are forming those big groups mostly are already here. So most newbies will be solo/small group players.

And if these newbies refuse to play with more than their close friends they will get punished at some point. It doesn´t matter if newbies have a nice and welcoming start and then get beaten out by a big group who only want to test the war system. Or they leave after a few hours because the game/players are not friendly enough.

Tashka

Post by Tashka » 07 Dec 2017, 13:49

Gruber wrote:Do we play the same game? This is how it works actually. there are more than enough resources.

Ah, so everything your fellow hardcore PvPers said in this toxic-clans-t25727/ thread is actually a BS excuse to have "fun" by making lifes of new players as miserable as possible? Well that's something to be expected.

And do not forget, people pvp just for fun, there is no reason needed.

That's not how well-designed games work. If you like that kind of games, there's always Chivalry or M&B. The original idea of LiF was never a "HURDCUR COUNTER STRIKE IN A MEDIEVAL SETTING WITH BUILDING".

Than it is only a matter of time until all the crybabys who are against playing with other people, will be over run, lose everything and then simply quit.

Again you're being insultive towards someone who don't enjoy playing the game in a way you do. You guys have a little too high opinion of yourselves. The game is not designed for you only. What we have now is only a sign of some flaws in design that will be fixed sooner or later and if you wanna quit - those who stays won't shed a single tear. Certainly not for those who raize a defenceless settlement "to test the war system".

Gruber

Post by Gruber » 07 Dec 2017, 15:29

Lai.tash wrote:Again you're being insultive towards someone who don't enjoy playing the game in a way you do. You guys have a little too high opinion of yourselves.

Simply a fact...
These complaining are all like "change this or that or me and my friends will leave"
Just a dickhead move to try to enforce changes to game that only they dont like how it is.

Lai.tash wrote:The game is not designed for you only.

No it is not, but i am one of many who like it how it is. And you are one of the few who try to enforce changes....

Lai.tash wrote:What we have now is only a sign of some flaws in design that will be fixed sooner or later and if you wanna quit - those who stays won't shed a single tear. Certainly not for those who raize a defenceless settlement "to test the war system".

Why dont you just leave and let the game be as how it is now? Not possible? Because you are a very important person who needs to enforce changes because only you know whats good for the game and whats not?

Tashka

Post by Tashka » 07 Dec 2017, 15:48

No it is not, but i am one of many who like it how it is. And you are one of the few who try to enforce changes....

No i'm trying to suggest compromises that can probably save this game so that both parties will be able to enjoy it and years of development will not be wasted just because some people who've been lucky enough to learn every aspect of it in a comfortable very personal server atmosphere 2 years before MMO release don't give a s*it about new players.

Lai.tash wrote:Why dont you just leave and let the game be as how it is now?

Because i've been following it for a years, i've bought YO to support development even though they said MMO is postponed indefinetely, i've bought 2 packs now, and i'm sorry but i think i have every right to suggest some reasonable changes in a subforum called "Suggestions and Ideas". And if you think LiF will stay in it's current state forever and you'll never be pissed off by some changes i have some very bad news for you. Better get yourself a YO server and save yourself from future frustration.

DarklyNoon

Post by DarklyNoon » 11 Dec 2017, 12:08

What a wall O text :shock:

True the OP is ether a bit childish or a troll. The game does what it does as it was intended. There are bugs and balance issue's that need addressing, but please don't make a rant for that. Note a single issue in a bug/suggestion ticket and state your case in facts and simple examples and make possible suggestions for improvements.

Griefing: Killing newbies etc in the game is an issue. it is hard to avoid this, as it is a pvp enabled game. Self defense can be forced so its hard to penalize only 1 party in a fight, but a system where damage dealt vs taken should impart more fair debuffs and demerits.

Buying coins should be a little more accessible to new players, and excluding any other form of payment for claim maintenance is harsh.

Deforestation IS a huge problem. Many servers (esp with few trees to begin with) have no trees left. And there are a number of guilds that make it a point to cut down every tree they find to ensure no one can build near them.

The general community needs to find their better :angel: :angel: and support small private claims in their area defend vs raiders, trade for products they make. One problem I have noticed with this however is the inability for many players to speak english. When you cant talk its hard to build trust and understanding.
At the same time, people with small claims or small aims should talk to guilds that will take them in, again a matter of trust.

The spawning, yeah that is rather annoying. A group spawn option would be nice.

Lord_Sitruc
True Believer

Post by Lord_Sitruc » 13 Dec 2017, 21:25

Personal opinion hear but it would be much better if they moved the spawn point back to 25, I felt that that was a very good place to start, and now with the random spawn chance it is not so good.

This would be a good QOL change.

I also feel like the game is a little to unforgiving at the beginning. The learning curve is high. I personally think a much more robust beginners island tutorial and the ability to leave the starting island with a few coins after completing the tutorial would probably be a good fix for this.

Hodo

Post by Hodo » 13 Dec 2017, 21:30

Lord_Sitruc wrote:Personal opinion hear but it would be much better if they moved the spawn point back to 25, I felt that that was a very good place to start, and now with the random spawn chance it is not so good.

This would be a good QOL change.

I also feel like the game is a little to unforgiving at the beginning. The learning curve is high. I personally think a much more robust beginners island tutorial and the ability to leave the starting island with a few coins after completing the tutorial would probably be a good fix for this.

This would be a good change.... but....
The reason it isnt there is due to server load on 25. IF you have Steam launch and everyone spawns in at 25 it will crash that server constantly... until they get the servers stronger to handle the increased loads of players it wont be a good idea to have them spawn there.
Don't build what you can't defend- Rule number 1.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas