Open Letter to Devs: More Love for “Your Own”, Please

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Hofer

Re: Open Letter to Devs: More Love for “Your Own”, Please

Post by Hofer » 08 Oct 2014, 08:22

I am glad that my PM to you helped you find this topic Bobik.

I am eagerly awaiting the upcoming patches and features!
http://feudalrp.com

Scrubbs

Post by Scrubbs » 12 Oct 2014, 22:13

To be honest, Life is Feudal is almost the perfect game that I've been looking for. I've played WURM for awhile and LiF:YO is WURM scaled down, which isn't bad ... for the most part. If I could have WURM on a personal dedicated server, I would. But of course that goes against having to pay WURM's sub prices and everything, so it won't happen. LiF, however, is like a pocket WURM with some key things missing: namely the map size. If it were the MMO size on the YO servers with the ability for things to be randomly generated I think it would be perfect. Having everything in the same place each time you play the game would get pretty dull.

7 Days to Die is another type of sandbox game, but with zombies. I don't really care for that aspect of it, but recently they put in random procedural generated terrain and ... it didn't really help. See in games like this I care less about exploring an entire world and more about finding a nice place to build a development on. Then defend that development against things, even if it's just PVE threats. Having a bigger map size is crucial for someone like me who doesn't want an endless world, but also who doesn't want to feel smothered when I'm playing with 4 or 5 of my friends. However, that's ALL I want to play with. I hate playing with other people in MMOs. It's worn out its welcome. Hell, I'd be happy if they scrapped the MMO idea and just made LiF:YO the main focus WITH bigger maps and the features they were going to make for just the MMO like sieging. To me, that would be perfect.

Razoreqx

Post by Razoreqx » 13 Oct 2014, 00:45

Bobik wrote:Greetings everyone!

I've read OP PM and came here to answer his questions/pleas. Sorry, I had no time to read a whole of the topic, but I think I saw most of its arguments.

Well, first of all, we do not consider LiF:YO to be an ugly stepsister that does not deserve our love :D It is not that way. And my personal opinion that LiF:YO is closer to the nature of sandbox than LiF:MMO will ever be. Because you can tweak rules, you can tweak modes and we will add more tweakable/moddable content as we can.

Now about modding. Just understand us right, we're a small indie team and we simply could not afford to support full modding capabilities.
Working all in C++ code - is easy for development, for debugging for everything = faster development times and so on.
Working a lot in scripts/xmls and othe moddable files and less in C++ - is really pain in development, debugging and everythin = that is why we had to cut moddability feature long time ago. That was a matter of survival of our project. That is why we can not OPEN anything - there is not much to open really since it is mostly in object code (compiled C++).

But we will do as much as we can after we will fix LiF:YO crashes and bugs, in order to bring more gameplay options to be changed, some arts to be changed and something like that. It is lamost impossible to have same freedom of moddability as you have seen in Minecraft or in some other games, but we will try to be as close as possible.

As about global roleplay, LiF:MMO was designed to be global. LiF:YO just CANT be global. We can increase max players, but one single server might not be able to handle it properly without neighboring server nodes. You can't add more terrain to a single server. Our terrain scalability was designed to be changed with amount of server nodes we use/attach to a global map (here are those nodes: https://lifeisfeudal.com/billing/status.php).

For guilds, global warfare, claims and other features we plan a complicated web backend system with some supporting system servers to handle requests. Web interface and web interaction is more useful than our complicated GUI system and it will be one server for all cross nodes global interactions. There is no adequate way to squeeze all that functionality into a LiF:YO. But I think we will try to work something out with personal claims at least. Since they're needed really on LiF:YO. Not sure still how we will be able to do that ...

And we're planning to keep both LiF:YO and LiF:MMO versions equally updated. If we will implement Mounted combat - it will be both in YO and MMO. If we will add new RP emote animations - they will be in both YO and MMO. And maybe it will be a good idea to make a RP MMO server - don't see a reason why not.

So just have faith in us. It is not easy as it sounds to meet all your demands, especially when everyone is demanding different things :) Making such complex game had attracted people from different sides on Internet with different demands and needs. Some want combat and PvP, some want more complicated craft, some want more RP freedom and possibilities, some want more modding freedom, some want more customization options etc. We will try to stisfy all those needs sooner or later, but do not expect a wonder to happen instantly. And do not think that we are NOT doing something because we don't want to. We simply can't do that sometimes at that moment.

Woah a wall of text :D
tl;dr:
Everything will be fine, have some patience and faith. LiF:YO is no a side project and will not be dropped until I'm leading that project.

Thank you x1000
Razors Edge
A Life is Feudal Persistent World
http://razors-edge.org
22 Custom MODS / Custom Graphics models Planned. Visit our Gallery.

Razoreqx

Post by Razoreqx » 13 Oct 2014, 00:46

Scrubbs wrote:To be honest, Life is Feudal is almost the perfect game that I've been looking for. I've played WURM for awhile and LiF:YO is WURM scaled down, which isn't bad ... for the most part. If I could have WURM on a personal dedicated server, I would. But of course that goes against having to pay WURM's sub prices and everything, so it won't happen. LiF, however, is like a pocket WURM with some key things missing: namely the map size. If it were the MMO size on the YO servers with the ability for things to be randomly generated I think it would be perfect. Having everything in the same place each time you play the game would get pretty dull.

7 Days to Die is another type of sandbox game, but with zombies. I don't really care for that aspect of it, but recently they put in random procedural generated terrain and ... it didn't really help. See in games like this I care less about exploring an entire world and more about finding a nice place to build a development on. Then defend that development against things, even if it's just PVE threats. Having a bigger map size is crucial for someone like me who doesn't want an endless world, but also who doesn't want to feel smothered when I'm playing with 4 or 5 of my friends. However, that's ALL I want to play with. I hate playing with other people in MMOs. It's worn out its welcome. Hell, I'd be happy if they scrapped the MMO idea and just made LiF:YO the main focus WITH bigger maps and the features they were going to make for just the MMO like sieging. To me, that would be perfect.

Same. My wife and I played wurm for years and this was JUST the game we'd been looking for! We have high hopes many of the features of wurm make it into LIF, either in MODS or added features to YO. We have been enjoying the content that's already in game. I setup a dedicated SQL server and run the game on another dedicated server. We've not experienced many issues with crashes at all. Most of the bugs can be avoided with proper server, sql and client settings.

Ok enough said.. I have farming and chicken poop duties. *wave*
Razors Edge
A Life is Feudal Persistent World
http://razors-edge.org
22 Custom MODS / Custom Graphics models Planned. Visit our Gallery.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas