Performance ruined by the recent (large) update?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Isaaq

Performance ruined by the recent (large) update?

Post by Isaaq » 31 Dec 2015, 04:30

So, I picked this game up about a month ago when the Dynasty server opened.

I love this game. I've put 248 hours into the game already.

Performance, however, has always been kinda dodgy. I have a pretty good rig - an 8350 (OC'd to 5GHz, this is my weakest component), an R9 390 Nitro OC'd, 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM (OC'd to ~1800Mhz) and I run the game from an SSD (Corsair Force LS 60GB for this, DayZ and a couple other games. OS on a separate SSD).

Before this latest update, I was able to run on the high preset with a little tweaking to trees and disabling shadows (which, in hindsight, wasn't necessary at all), but cranking grass to max, while streaming and recording, at an average of 60-80fps, with it dropping to 40ish FPS in the most built up areas. In very, very heavily forested areas, it'd drop right down to 20 something, but that was the only time it'd ever dip below 30.

Since the last major update (not the little tweaks one they just released - the one with rain etc), the settings I used before are completely unusable. It never breaks 30fps on the exact same settings and, for the most part, is below even 20fps. I've noticed that the two major factors here (trees seem to have a smaller impact on performance now, actually) are the huge object distance and the medium object distance.

I now have the object distance settings on 75/400/750 instead of the default high settings and still drop below 30fps around the lake in the more built up areas (often to the low 20's). Areas that, with much, much better settings before, I was averaging around 40FPS.

I'm wondering whether there's anything I'm missing at all, or whether I'm just SOL. Because while I love this game, this is literally unplayable for me. Christ, I have DayZ looking really good and can stream, in the center of Berezino, without ever dipping below 30FPS on this rig. This game is now literally the worst performing game I have ever played, and by a large margin - which I wouldn't be too bothered by (alpha games that get super bad performance, though never as bad as this, I just wait for a patch or two), if it wasn't apparently released.

Airco

Re: Performance ruined by the recent (large) update?

Post by Airco » 31 Dec 2015, 08:02

tryd a difrent server?
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark2
Cpu: intel I5-4690 3.5Ghz
Cpu cooler: thermaltake Frio Extreme Silent 14 Dual
Mem: Corsair 16gb, Cmy16gx3m2a2133c11r
Gpu: Geforce 970, Asus STRIX GTX970 DC2OC 4GD5
Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Z
HD: SAMSUNG 75E250RW SSD 850 EVO 250 GB

Isaaq

Re: Performance ruined by the recent (large) update?

Post by Isaaq » 31 Dec 2015, 22:08

Airco wrote:tryd a difrent server?

Can't find any others with similar sized builds, but seems that they're about the same comparatively when at the largest builds on those servers compared with similar sized builds on my main server.

I will say that, if I go way, way away from the lake, where all of the builds are, performance increases dramatically. But before the update (and not much changed in terms of the builds other than a couple larger buildings (keeps) going up around that area) I had great performance in that area.

Now, it could, potentially, be a specific building or object in that area killing me, or it could be that something's gone wrong with object detail which is only really significant in that area with so many builds (like, two very large settlements, five or six medium all around the lake), but before the update, I had perfectly fine performance, even while streaming, again, and when I first played it after (granted, two days after the update, but not that much had changed), my performance was completely ruined.

I'm going to try exploring my main server a bit more and gauge whether other large settlements have the same issues, maybe narrow down whether it's a specific building or just so many buildings in the same area. But again, this issue arose with the update. I was completely fine in that area before.

EDIT FOR CLARITY:
Put my settings pretty much back to exactly what they were before the update.

Went on two servers - my usual one and a random one (most populated at the time).

At the lake, on my normal server, I got around 10fps. Remember, this is with 1500 huge object distance & 1000 medium object distance. Before the update, I'd have got around 30-40fps in the same spot with the same settings.

At the lake on the other server, I got around 30fps. This was with very, very few builds nearby (I saw four monument areas) and none of the builds being substantial at all). Before the update, when I first played the game and the settlements on my main server were just getting started, I was looking at like 50-80fps at the lake and there was more built on the server then than there is now on this test server.

This update has broken my performance. It's specifically tied to object distances. Other people on the same server have seen no performance difference, really, at all.

Return to General Discussion