Player claims scaled to world map

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Kossako
Alpha Tester

Player claims scaled to world map

Post by Kossako » 13 Feb 2014, 22:26

Created a simple map showing how large particular claims would be on map.

It's scaled in pixels. Proportions are almost perfect.

All info about land claims taken from:
http://lifeisfeudal.gamepedia.com/Claim

Enjoy.

Last edited by Kossako on 13 Feb 2014, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
Skills and crafting information: lif-database-application-t1494

Build your first home for newbies guide: first-house-guide-to-new-players-t1432

PrimusPalus
Alpha Tester

Re: Player claims scaled to world map

Post by PrimusPalus » 13 Feb 2014, 22:28

I'm confused... this is what?
Captain J. Shields
Commanding Officer
24th Marine Expeditionary Unit

Cloud
Alpha Tester

Post by Cloud » 13 Feb 2014, 22:29

[quote="PrimusPalus"]I'm confused... this is what?[/quote]

It's practically showing how big the map will be in comparison to your town/village.

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 13 Feb 2014, 23:00

Is this map actually to scale? If it is correct then I would recommend adding a legend that specifies size and distances.

Kossako
Alpha Tester

Post by Kossako » 13 Feb 2014, 23:24

Proximo wrote:Is this map actually to scale? If it is correct then I would recommend adding a legend that specifies size and distances.

Corrected map and introduced size. It's correct scale.
Large quadruples are 1 km x 1km and on my zoom quadruples are 100m x 100m.

Ishamael
Alpha Tester

Post by Ishamael » 13 Feb 2014, 23:48

Very +1 for you good sir. :good:
"Yes, Betrayer of Hope. They gave me the name to revile me, but I will yet make them kneel and worship it."
—Ishamael

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

finalreview
Alpha Tester

Post by finalreview » 14 Feb 2014, 08:33

Great idea, only suggestion is to make the green background of the zoomed in red box to be solid and not low opacity. Kind of makes it look like the terrain under the circles is what is in the small box.

Kossako
Alpha Tester

Post by Kossako » 14 Feb 2014, 08:38

finalreview wrote:Great idea, only suggestion is to make the green background of the zoomed in red box to be solid and not low opacity. Kind of makes it look like the terrain under the circles is what is in the small box.

Solid looks ugly + I wanted to keep lines from background and use them in new scale ;)

Sting5

Post by Sting5 » 14 Feb 2014, 08:49

Good contribute dear sir, greatly appreciate it :) But it seems that the map wouldn't be big enough for huge community. But if measurement is perfect, then it seems like 3000-4000 players would populate the map to look like a decent solid village. Am I wrong?

[EDIT]: Ok I'm totaly wrong. Just made a quick linear calculation: 100 meters hold about 3 personal claims. then one kilometer holds 30 personal claims.
Hence the 21x21 kilometer ground (441 sq.km.) would hold approx. (21x30) X (21x30) = 396.900 personal claims.

Remove around 25 percent (due to water) and we have 297.675 personal claims in the world. WOW.
QUAERO TOTUS

Kossako
Alpha Tester

Post by Kossako » 14 Feb 2014, 08:59

Sting5 wrote:Good contribute dear sir, greatly appreciate it :) But it seems that the map wouldn't be big enough for huge community. But if measurement is perfect, then it seems like 3000-4000 players would populate the map to look like a decent solid village. Am I wrong?

It all depends how many people will be living in towns. In your personal claim there can be several people bound (but I predict everyone would want to have a home). Certain Town can hold a large amount of players. Dunno how many bind spots large houses have and how many you can fit but around 60 people per town is good guess.

There are around 400 x 1km x1 km and assuming there will be around 100 people living in such spot we have 40 000 players. I would divide it by 2 because not all spots will be possible to occupy but that is still impressive number per one server.

Sting5

Post by Sting5 » 14 Feb 2014, 12:11

Kossako wrote:There are around 400 x 1km x1 km and assuming there will be around 100 people living in such spot we have 40 000 players. I would divide it by 2 because not all spots will be possible to occupy but that is still impressive number per one server.
Not sure if there will only be one server. Maybe for alpha. But for latter game stages they will have to open servers in every strategic region to keep the quality of latency.
QUAERO TOTUS

Kossako
Alpha Tester

Post by Kossako » 14 Feb 2014, 12:19

Sting5 wrote:
Kossako wrote:There are around 400 x 1km x1 km and assuming there will be around 100 people living in such spot we have 40 000 players. I would divide it by 2 because not all spots will be possible to occupy but that is still impressive number per one server.
Not sure if there will only be one server. Maybe for alpha. But for latter game stages they will have to open servers in every strategic region to keep the quality of latency.

According to Bobik there will be one server at launch located most likely in Germany. They can't handle opening more servers at one time since they are small company. It could also depends on amount of players that will want to play at launch. We will see but 1 server at first is best option IMHO.

SaresITA89
Alpha Tester

Post by SaresITA89 » 14 Feb 2014, 16:38

Sting5 wrote:

Mortal Online have one world
eve to same

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 14 Feb 2014, 17:00

Kossako wrote:Created a simple map showing how large particular claims would be on map.

It's scaled in pixels. Proportions are almost perfect.

All info about land claims taken from:
http://lifeisfeudal.gamepedia.com/Claim

Enjoy.

Just had time to llok at that topic and I must say I'm really impressed :good: I had almost same calculations, but only in a spreadsheet, but on a map with actual scales it looks way better :)
Good job :good:

About servers talk:

We gonna have one world so far. BUT technically there IS a cluster of 6 physical servers +1 for Database + 1 for different utility needs. And all those servers are working for that single world. We really hope that should be enough for 5-8k simultaneous online, but only real stress tests can prove it.

P.S. It is actually 1022 meters in each small square. ;)

Sting5

Post by Sting5 » 14 Feb 2014, 17:22

Bobik wrote:About servers talk:

We gonna have one world so far. BUT technically there IS a cluster of 6 physical servers +1 for Database + 1 for different utility needs. And all those servers are working for that single world. We really hope that should be enough for 5-8k simultaneous online, but only real stress tests can prove it.
THAT'S what I meant saying multiple servers. Multiple physical servers :) Great :good:
QUAERO TOTUS

SaresITA89
Alpha Tester

Post by SaresITA89 » 14 Feb 2014, 17:43

Ok, there are more servers (obviously)
But my question is: there will be more worlds? or will it be like EVE and Mortal Online?

I would prefer to increase the map and increasing the number of servers so as not stress them

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 14 Feb 2014, 19:41

SaresITA89 wrote:

Ok, there are more servers (obviously)
But my question is: there will be more worlds? or will it be like EVE and Mortal Online?

I would prefer to increase the map and increasing the number of servers so as not stress them

He just said it. One server as of now. Stress testing will reveal if they need more.

Raxx
Alpha Tester

Post by Raxx » 15 Feb 2014, 03:18

I think 1 server should enough, if stress tests makes a big strain it would better to optimize the 1 they have rather than adding new ones. games such as these needs alot of players, and the more players the more fun

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 15 Feb 2014, 11:39

SaresITA89 wrote:Ok, there are more servers (obviously)

We had not yet decided. Our technology allows us to add new game servers almost on the run, so we can expand current continent by adding a new and bigger one to the west, for instance.
Thing is, that new lands are good when there are enough players to settle them without turning an original continent into a deserted area. There are a lot of cons and pros for each of variant and I really do believe it is VERY early to talk about that.

Shealladh
Alpha Tester

Post by Shealladh » 15 Feb 2014, 11:54

Bobik wrote:
SaresITA89 wrote:Ok, there are more servers (obviously)

We had not yet decided. Our technology allows us to add new game servers almost on the run, so we can expand current continent by adding a new and bigger one to the west, for instance.

That's nice to know, without seeing the map I was assuming islands :p

Would adding these expansions into the lore work. Like maybe something dangerous on West stopping us from entering, or even better we have to make a road (team work with various towns) to build a passage/trail over say a mountain.

Thing is, that new lands are good when there are enough players to settle them without turning an original continent into a deserted area. There are a lot of cons and pros for each of variant and I really do believe it is VERY early to talk about that.

True, we're just getting all gooey-eyed.

Depends on total numbers and the income to develop I guess, so would it be like an expansion with some new skill (hint: rafts and boating) and have to survive the crossing to discover where it is.

Something like sea sickness that consumes twice the food, then if you fail the minigame, you throw it up and loose stamina, rinse repeat?

BartusPL
Alpha Tester

Post by BartusPL » 15 Feb 2014, 12:05

P.S. It is actually 1022 meters in each small square. ;)

Very good information. One world is the best choice.

Kossako, nice idea with that map :good:
Easier to imagine how it will be look.

Kossako
Alpha Tester

Post by Kossako » 23 Feb 2014, 21:44

Some people were asking about where to get that map.
I got it from zip file Bobik posted in this thread:
http://lifeisfeudal.com/forum/what-about-new-screens-t649/#p6355

Enjoy ;)

Dorrmenyk

Post by Dorrmenyk » 08 May 2015, 12:43

Looks fine to me :)

im really looking forward to LiF:MMO

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 08 May 2015, 13:11

Forum necromancy..

Stormsblade
Alpha Tester

Post by Stormsblade » 08 May 2015, 15:09

Still valid, relevant, and interesting.

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 08 May 2015, 15:16

I know x) JK

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 22 Nov 2015, 18:21

What happened to the map link?
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Uno

Post by Uno » 23 Nov 2015, 11:31

someone claimed it? :D

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 23 Nov 2015, 15:13

Uno wrote:someone claimed it? :D

LOL - good one. :D

As I started playing around with city designs, I remembered that the scale of claimed lands in YO are different then what has been posted on the wiki, so I was trying to get a visual. Since that map is gone I created a new one using the YO map.

I started with this fantastic map created by Telakh: http://lifeisfeudal.com/forum/lif-yo-map-t1811/

Since he has the map scaled at 1 pixel = 1 tile, it was easy to add the MMO claimed land examples. Teir 1 is the inner blue circle, teir 4 is the outer black circle. All use the outside edge as maximum diameter. If I remember correctly, the previous map 'claimed area' was much larger. So perhaps one of us (or both) are wrong.

| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Stormsblade
Alpha Tester

Post by Stormsblade » 15 Jan 2016, 17:37

Hrmm... I feel like Kingdoms should have some further way to exert their influence or vye for control of territories beyond these relatively small claims.

Those borders are perhaps what you might expect of a hamlet, not even a city, much less a kingdom :(

Return to General Discussion