Why do I feel I'm being punished?

Welcome to the Life is Feudal: MMO community! Here you can ask your basic starters questions.

Daniel_tadd

Why do I feel I'm being punished?

Post by Daniel_tadd » 28 Dec 2017, 09:23

My friend and I recently signed up for the MMO and we simply want to create our own tiny little hamlet in the forest to live off the land.

We created a guild, just the two of us.

First things first, build two tiny shacks so that we have a respawn location. I opted to be the builder and my friend will be a hunter/farmer. After finally completing the two shacks, I bound myself to one and then my friend found that he cannot bind himself to the second. Why not?

We are in the same guild, we are roleplaying two brothers surviving on the land, why is he not able to bind himself to a shack that I built? Does he need to lay the blueprint himself? Why is that mechanic even a thing?

After much research I find I need to create a small, personal monument and I need to run for 2-3 hours to the city in order to get one single copper coin to erect it. After further research, I've learned that I need a steady supply of coins in order to keep the claim active. What the hell? I need to run to the city (2-3 hours) to waste 1-2 hours a day gathering coins for upkeep on a 3x3 claim!?

We just want to chill, relax and live a humble, feudal life as peasants making their way in the wilderness. I'm also lead to believe that even if I erect the personal monument, he will still be unable to bind himself to the shack, because the 3x3 claim is not big enough to cover two shacks. So he needs to create his own personal monument as well?

Am i doing something wrong? Is it simply a case of "join a guild or befriend a guild to help you or gtfo"?

As for the skill progressions, I understand the level cap of 400.. but what happens when I cap 3-4 construction skills and then have no more projects to work on? I can't plant trees, I can't farm, I can't hunt, I can't smelt or mine for resources. I just twiddle my thumbs or PvP? Raid other small villages that can't be raided? PvP for one hour a week during JH?

What am i doing wrong?

Hodo

Re: Why do I feel I'm being punished?

Post by Hodo » 28 Dec 2017, 15:40

As for the binding issue... sounds like a minor problem but honestly I am not sure I can figure it out right now... (battling a migraine)

You can make the claim bigger than 3x3.. My claim is 7x8 I think. or 7x9. Either way you go to a corner where you want your claim to start, right click on the ground and choose "resize claim", then use the slider arrows like you would in placing the shack, and size your claim the way you want.

Note- there is a variation on cost per tile depending on the size. Anything below 33tiles is about 100 upkeep per tile, over 33tiles it jumps to 150, 66+ 200 each.
Or something like that. Yes personal claims are expensive... this is why it behooves you to join a guild.

But the skills question, you can downgrade skills to put the point somewhere else if you decide you no longer want to be a builder.

With a decent intellect, 20-30 you can have quite a few skills at your disposal which will make life a bit easier.. BUT you wont be "good" at any of them.

Like my current build I have Bowcraft-90, but a bunch of other skills around 60 or 30... Like carpentry is 60, Natures Lore-60, Hunting-60, Animal Lore-60, Procuration-30, Artisan-60, Farming-30.

These are all skills I need to be pretty much self suffecient in what I need to do my day to day activities as a hunter. Farming is for the summer months when I am planting wheat to get hay to feed my horses through the winter months... I could drop it and just harvest apples all the time or edible plant roots.. but I dont feel like dedicating that kind of time just AFK gathering.
Don't build what you can't defend- Rule number 1.

Aguycalledhaney

Post by Aguycalledhaney » 28 Dec 2017, 20:10

Solo or small-group play is achievable but it's not easy. Unless you want to be a total nomad that respawns wherever upon death, you will need a personal claim.

My strong recommendation if you are going down this route is to build a relationship with a nearby guild. Provide a service (likely terraforming, stoneshaping or other basic labor) in exchange for tradepost access, or even the coins directly.

My guild has a few solo-ish players around us doing precisely this. In fact, we are even planning a 2nd trading post in a "common quarter" partition for easier access to those not in-guild.

The benefits of such an arrangement are expansive. You get the support and unofficial protection of a larger entity, and said entity gets the work benefit of an extra hand without the expense of fully outfitting, feeding, housing and worrying about loyalty. Plus, if you ever WANT to absorb into a guild, you already have a solid relationship.

There are a good number of guilds run by morons that won't bother doing this for you, but there's also a good number of guilds (including us) that consider it a win-win for all parties.

Cole

Post by Cole » 28 Dec 2017, 20:14

Group of real life friends with alts doing the best we can! Need more active mature members.

https://moonglow.enjin.com/recruitment

Active discord https://discord.gg/pTZwgpJ

Join us ill give you tax free land to do as you please.

Na Server Central Domain

Velius

Post by Velius » 28 Dec 2017, 20:16

So, read over this a few times and here's some things that might help out or explain a few issues:

First and foremost, shacks have exactly one slot in them. I'm certain you are aware of this and that is why you built two, however he cannot bind to a shack you have already bound to. Mentioning this solely in the interest of covering all bases and that includes stating the obvious.

That being said, after creating/being invited to a guild you must relog. If you attempt to use any guild facilities in the same play session as being invited there is a 70% chance the game will not allow you to. Logging essentially updates your character in the DB and registers you fully as a member of that guild and grants the ability to use guild facilities. That could be what is impeding you. The same goes for getting promoted to a rank with new permissions, etc. Hopefully that fixes your issue.

With regards to the personal claim, you do not necessarily "need" to create one, however your property will decay and one of you will need to take up building maintenance, likely you as the builder. You will need to take this anyway eventually, as facilities like forges, furnaces, and all crafting buildings (smithy shop, etc) decay with use and at 50% will stop working.

Now then, there is zero need to run to the capital city, especially if it takes you 2-3 hours to do so. Unless you built in an absolutely terrible (and I mean TERRIBLE) location devoid of all human life, there is likely a trading post much, much closer to you. You will simply need to do some human interaction in order to benefit from it.

If a privately-owned trading post is accessible to the public, problem solved. Sell there and with about an hour's worth of effort have enough coin to support a small claim for a few RL days. If it is not accessible to the public, then you will need to appeal to the owners' self-interest and deal with them directly to make coin. Any guild with its own trading posts is rolling in coin and has more than enough to spare. It simply falls on you to convince them to do so in a way that benefits them.

For instance, offer to sell them items the crown will buy at a slightly lower rate than the crown. This will get you your coin and at the same time let them sell the items to the crown for a profit. You can also offer to sell them items the crown will not buy but that they will need and value. Shaped stone and shaped granite are the first things to come to mind. Finally, offer to work for coin. Shaping the aforementioned rock and granite, digging, and logging is labor that virtually all guilds require and not all of them have the extra manpower online at given times to do so. The same goes for paving and terraforming, however that can be a bit more of an issue since oft-times they are needed to be done on guild-claimed land. Still, be creative. Sell your services and see how far you can go.

To sum up, you were correct in your initial assessment. You ARE being punished. Playing the game as a due is the second-hardest thing that can be done next to soloing. You are choosing a path that is neither easy nor optimal and is not the way the game was designed to be played. It is fully possible to survive as a duo, and in fact to thrive as one, but you both need to decide on your skills far in advance, you need to make friends and allies with your neighbors, and you cannot try to play as an island and instead will need to interact with the communities around you. If you do not, then I'm afraid the clock is basically ticking. Be it burnout, frustration, or griefing, eventually something will defeat you permanently. I say that not to scare you off, but to ready you so that you can recognize and meet the challenge. Or, change your plans for the game before you become too far entrenched when you realize a plan will not come to fruition.

Return to Newcomer Section