Questions re: Newbie Island

Welcome to the Life is Feudal: MMO community! Here you can ask your basic starters questions.
Celthon

Questions re: Newbie Island

Post by Celthon » 06 Jan 2018, 03:56

I have a new character on Newbie Island...have been 'in-game' for a total of about 45-minutes and have been killed by a wolf just outside the "Elder's Longhouse"...I lost 5 points of Hunting skill along with points from many other skills...wtf??

Currently my character is inside the Longhouse...but I can hear a wolf growling on the other side of one wall...will the wolf (or any other aggressive mobs on the island) enter the Longhouse, or am I safe inside for the moment?

Why are there aggressive mobs in the newbie village -- where a new player is supposed to learn game basics such as movement and HUD interaction, etc. -- I'm hiding inside the Longhouse currently, without any sort of wpn., wearing the starter rags (so no armor), and presume that as soon as I step outside the wolf will again attack (I died within 30-40 seconds the first time). Not a good introduction to a game, if one hopes to keep new players...

I'd strongly suggest having an area where a newly spawned player can be safe from such attacks, so as to have time to explore game mechanics, HUD settings, interfaces, etc. without being killed within the first few minutes of game play.

Anyone familiar with the set-up on Newbie Island able to tell me:

>can I outrun the wolf if I leave the Longhouse or will it follow wherever I go?

>are there other aggressive mobs in the area I will run into?

>since I have not used my 'ticket' to the mainland, can I delete the character and restart, and if I do can I re-use the same character name right away?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Velius

Re: Questions re: Newbie Island

Post by Velius » 06 Jan 2018, 09:04

Simple answer: You were griefed

People kite aggressive animals into the village there all the time. You just run the wolf/bear/boar to the village and space it the animal ends its persuit inside the village. Animals do not reset their positions and will remain where they stopped their chase. Always carry a torch with you, and NEVER squander your flee.

In the main play area aggressive animals can spawn almost anywhere except possibly for areas enclosed by fortification.We had a bear appear on the part our site we were terraforming and paving at the time.

In other words: Life is feudal

Celthon

Post by Celthon » 06 Jan 2018, 16:28

Thank you for the reply and information. You mentioned "...always carry a Torch..."; will having the torch stop the wolf from attacking, or is it to be used as a weapon against the wolf?

IamHe

Post by IamHe » 06 Jan 2018, 17:56

Celthon wrote:Thank you for the reply and information. You mentioned "...always carry a Torch..."; will having the torch stop the wolf from attacking, or is it to be used as a weapon against the wolf?

weapon against wolf - animals run away after being hit several times by torch

Celthon

Post by Celthon » 06 Jan 2018, 17:59

Thank you.

Velius

Post by Velius » 06 Jan 2018, 19:44

Note: Not guaranteed to work on bears and just might make them angrier. Opt to flee from them if possible. Also, aim for the head as a clean headshot with a torch should scatter wolves and boars on the first go.

While we're on the subject, just as general advice to yourself as well as any other new players who come across this thread, you won't want to actually take on a wolf alone or possibly even in a small group of 2-3 until you have at the very least a good quality weapon and some armor. Tools like hatchets, hammers, sickles, etc are not weapons and have no damage stats. The damage you do with those is solely based on your militia skill level and the tool you are wielding simply changes the damage type you would deal. Do not attempt to fight a bear, even in a decent-sized group.

Celthon

Post by Celthon » 06 Jan 2018, 21:53

Thank you for the information and advice. I think that for the foreseeable future I will run from any aggressive creatures I encounter on the Newbie Island.

Return to Newcomer Section