Crusades anyone?

Discussion of the game lore and medieval ages.

Moderator: Lore Masters

glenncariaga

Crusades anyone?

Post by glenncariaga » 07 Sep 2011, 23:10

Since there is a strong religious theme, would there be crusades that would divide people by skin color?

Niro
Alpha Tester

Re: Crusades anyone?

Post by Niro » 08 Sep 2011, 05:37

"The Crusades were a series of religiously sanctioned military campaigns, called by the Pope and with the main goal of restoring Christian control of the Holy Land..." (c) wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades

Crusaders were not killed for the skin color, the Crusades were directed against heretics, and those with other faith :pinch:

glenncariaga

Post by glenncariaga » 08 Sep 2011, 12:38

how would the crusaders determine who was "christian" or who was a "moor?" i'm sorry if i had any semblance of offense. that's not my purpose at all.

in the crusades, you had factions that were visually different. you could tell a christian army very quickly from a moorish army. the dev's have made mention that they want to have beefed up religious powers in the game, there-by you could have religious factions, which looked visually different, which were also different (in general) by skin color, which could be portrayed.

but that's probably a terrible idea, as it can be too easily construed as something bigoted.

wongo007
Alpha Tester

Post by wongo007 » 09 Sep 2011, 07:33

glenncariaga go learn history

Falke88
Alpha Tester

Post by Falke88 » 09 Sep 2011, 07:49

no hating

Niro
Alpha Tester

Post by Niro » 09 Sep 2011, 08:02

btw. Different relegions would be great!
Realize throgh different skills by religions like a christian, shamanism, buddism etc. With different skills or possible effects.(not like a combat magic from other games) :side:
If you train one skill of religions, you can't train another.
ps. this could be like religions by race archetypes.

Bobik wrote:45) We plan to make 3 race archetypes (no names yet):
- western european like
- viking/slav like
- mongol/arab like

Garetheis

Post by Garetheis » 11 Sep 2011, 10:18

Just please don't use real religions.
Create your own religions like sb did

glenncariaga

Post by glenncariaga » 11 Sep 2011, 15:16

i agree with gar. that issue is a little sensitive, same thing with races. someone will take offense to it being in-game and affecting game mechanics. (as i think it should.)

having said that, i believe there should be a way to have major factions fight, ala crusades. if you're a zoastrian, you COULD get along with taoists, but there are penalties. but if you're fighting, you get bonuses.

so, in short, incentives to "gank" people that are different from you, more incentives to group with people that are like you.

Kazzan

Post by Kazzan » 20 Sep 2011, 16:50

Imho, there shouldn't be any penalties whether you choose a slavic "race" or a "arab one". I mean it's supposed to be sandbox, and people are meant to work together. Besides that, players can always for a crusades guild and go on a zealous crusade to wipe out every *random race* character.

Shadowbane

Post by Shadowbane » 24 Sep 2011, 20:09

Garetheis wrote:Just please don't use real religions.
Create your own religions like sb did

+1 for this :lol:

Shadowbane

Post by Shadowbane » 24 Sep 2011, 20:10

glenncariaga wrote:i agree with gar. that issue is a little sensitive, same thing with races. someone will take offense to it being in-game and affecting game mechanics. (as i think it should.)

having said that, i believe there should be a way to have major factions fight, ala crusades. if you're a zoastrian, you COULD get along with taoists, but there are penalties. but if you're fighting, you get bonuses.

so, in short, incentives to "gank" people that are different from you, more incentives to group with people that are like you.

I only group with nation/guildie's everyone else is KOS

Maverick

Post by Maverick » 26 Sep 2011, 18:53

Well,

Racial Difference's is defiantly a no-no. As that can actually take away playbase and may even cause lawsuits due to racial hatred. But I do agree with the different type's of factions, such as the christians and being able to tell the difference between indiviual kingdoms and so forth.

Hence a customization system need's to come in place.

glenncariaga

Post by glenncariaga » 27 Sep 2011, 03:40

See, if we were dealing with fantasy realms, it'd be easy to differentiate factions by race. There's got to be a visual difference between the groups. something, essentially, you're born with, that you pick only once.

maybe different... feet? the argonauts are the tallest group? the medianites have big feet? the freemen have blue eyes?

Maverick

Post by Maverick » 27 Sep 2011, 10:43

Well - It all depend's on the lore of the different race wouldn't it?

One could be known for being Large Renouned Warriors, hence being a much larger in size type of race. More option in tattoo's, the ability to be a lot bigger then other's. Then another could be a farmer race, smaller then the warrior's and tattoo's wouldn't really be common. Ontop of that, all player's could have some sort of banner on any armor? Like there Kingdom's Crest on there chest, or a flag, etc.

Azer

Post by Azer » 15 Dec 2011, 23:30

For the most part race was not a big issue. Look how quickly the viking kingdoms became slavic with the king even taking slavic names. I would say keep race out at least as region specific. That said, there should be different cultures and this is what defines individuals.

If you have religions, people will bring real religions into the game. This is neither good or bad, just is.

Bergheer

Post by Bergheer » 25 Feb 2012, 18:10

First of all, people should start to stop seeing the crusades as a religious war. It was for the biggest part organised as an economical expedition to get acces to the ports that provided spices, silk,... Most of the crusades had an other goal than capturing Jeruzalem and were able to conquering byzantian possesion or other cities (for example akko). A part of the knights and soldiers main objectif was just to pillage and acquire gold, land,... so the economic motif counted also for the real actors in the story of the crusades (I donn't tell that there weren't soldiers who realy went for religious reasons, but there were less numerous as the common media wishes to tell us). Anyway I hope that religion will not be a big part in this game. On the other hand I hope that the different cultures (we are speaking about humans; races is in this case a bit rude to use) will form homogenous clans and that we will not see a viking, with a fur cape, living next to a saracen on a camel in a land were it always rains :).

Return to Lore Section