A lot of talk on fighting, but very little on farming.

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!
Hodo
True Believer

A lot of talk on fighting, but very little on farming.

Post by Hodo » 03 May 2014, 13:45

I have seen a half dozen, threads about combat, and other such items, those are great, but I would love to talk about non-combat things like farming.

Currently I think the best farming system is in Wurm Online, as much as I hate many other things in that game I think it is currently the best simplest system. The second best was Roma Victor. Farming should be something that is simple but yet still fun. Not something that becomes a second job to do, not something that is absolutely a waste of time.

Things that should be in farming is,

-Tending to crops and fields
-Growing wheats, and grains, such as oats, barley and wheat. That can be used for brewing, and milling.
-Growing vegitables and tree orchards for lumber, fruit and vegitables.

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Re: A lot of talk on fighting, but very little on farming.

Post by Hoshiqua » 03 May 2014, 14:42

We've mainly talked about combat because it occured really fast among alpha testers in some of the test runs.

On the other hand, I don't think anyone managed to plant any field yet, so you will have to wait for 1 or 2 more alpha test run (or full alpha) before anyone of us have got some experience in it and can speak about it. For now, we don't know what it is, but be patient, we should talk a lot about it because it will be a major aspect of the game.

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 03 May 2014, 17:58

Fighting should be fast, if it were slow it would be boring. Case and point look at Wurm Online, pvp there is a snore fest. Time To Kill or TTK shouldn't be more than a few seconds 5-7 at most.

But farming and crafting should be a focus as much as combat. There is more to a sandbox then just fighting, fortunately. If you want to see how to make a game fail, look at Mortal Online and how Starvault handled the beta there, concentrating on combat and ignoring the crafting and gathering system. And combat turned out to suck, the games crafting was horrible, so the game turned out to be crap.

Touchmee
Alpha Tester

Post by Touchmee » 03 May 2014, 19:07

Farming will be spoke about just as much as other game mechanics when people get to the stage to test it, just keep in mind that combat can be done as soon as you get in the server and was a sensitive subject recently, whereas farming etc is something that people will need to work at, same as construction etc.

Tiba666
Alpha Tester

Post by Tiba666 » 13 May 2014, 17:42

Hodo wrote:Fighting should be fast, if it were slow it would be boring. Case and point look at Wurm Online, pvp there is a snore fest. Time To Kill or TTK shouldn't be more than a few seconds 5-7 at most.

But farming and crafting should be a focus as much as combat. There is more to a sandbox then just fighting, fortunately. If you want to see how to make a game fail, look at Mortal Online and how Starvault handled the beta there, concentrating on combat and ignoring the crafting and gathering system. And combat turned out to suck, the games crafting was horrible, so the game turned out to be crap.

so that you say i 4 archers shot after you and would be dead in 5-7 sec? hmm i dont agree it should take 5-7 seconds becuase 1 vs 1 and lot of other stuff going to count to. tried the m&b ? could stay alive for 3-4 min when i played it before i died or 2 arrow to the foot so 5-7 sec would be bored

Tiba666
Alpha Tester

Post by Tiba666 » 13 May 2014, 17:43

Hodo wrote:I have seen a half dozen, threads about combat, and other such items, those are great, but I would love to talk about non-combat things like farming.

Currently I think the best farming system is in Wurm Online, as much as I hate many other things in that game I think it is currently the best simplest system. The second best was Roma Victor. Farming should be something that is simple but yet still fun. Not something that becomes a second job to do, not something that is absolutely a waste of time.

Things that should be in farming is,

-Tending to crops and fields
-Growing wheats, and grains, such as oats, barley and wheat. That can be used for brewing, and milling.
-Growing vegitables and tree orchards for lumber, fruit and vegitables.

yea farming and all other kind of thing you going to do in the game is more imporeten then pvp if you ask me hodo so i agree with you

tibonhom
Alpha Tester

Post by tibonhom » 13 May 2014, 20:44

with one server , we not need too fast combat for guy live far (ping) , for example darkfall is impossible for NA to play EU , in wurm , more slow autorise some pvp in all the world :beer: and i hate die in 5-7 sec :x
about farming , we must be patient but i love wurm system :)

ps: sry my english is bad :Bravo:

Grimfest

Post by Grimfest » 23 May 2014, 18:33

I am a bit late to the forums and my comments, my apologies.

The developers have a delicate task of balancing fun and realism. If you have ever grew anything before, its NOT fun, the fun is in the form of the reward. Most people want instant satisfaction or reward. But, fact is, when you plant something it takes a good amount of time to get your reward. So, as for it being a second job, that depends on how big of a farm you want to work. Don't want a second job? have a small farm. I personally know about farming and scaling an operation. So it depends on how the developers want to make the game, fun, realistic or a balance.

Final words. Farming is hard work, and if they go for realistic, they just need to make it rewarding. Personally, I am more of a bandit.. I plan on pillaging your farms and raping your sheep :) okay maybe not the sheep. well... maybe

Return to Suggestions and Ideas