Player created content (Items)

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Exitus

Player created content (Items)

Post by Exitus » 13 Apr 2014, 08:44

Hello,

I'm new here, but I have been following this project for a while now. I think it is a great idea of a game and I'd be happy to see it released some day. You should definitly try another campaign on Kickstarter or something like that but with more promotion!

Anyway, that's not what this thread is about. I haven't played a lot of MMOs in my life, the only one I really enjoyed was Star Wars Galaxies, which was pretty much of a Sandbox MMO itself. Since it has been closed a few years back, I never found another MMO. So I figured I'd think about what game I would like to see and so I started getting ideas.

One of this idea is to let players create content. For those, who have played any of the Elder Scrolls games since TES 3, you propably know about how big the modding community is. What if you let those players, that can actually model or re-texturize armor, create content for your game? I could see this realized in two ways:

The players model their armor or weapon set (or re-texturize it) and upload it onto a database. The content has then to be examined by the devs, so that no indecent items are getting into the game (people will always try to exploit things). If the content is inspected and does meet it's requirement, it can be introduced into the game. Now the creator has two options:

1. He can sell it alone
The devs will set a cheap price on the items, but he will be the only vendor able to sell it. The better the armor/weapon, the more people will be likely to buy it.

2. He "sells" it to the game
The creator gets a great amount of money for each item, but then the armor/weapon is part of the game and every crafter can craft it and every vendor can sell it.

This idea has a lot of pros and cons and it is unlikely to be implemented, but I thought I write it down anyway.

Pros:
- player created content (less work for the devs)
- infinite diversity in clothing/armor/weapons

Cons:
- additional work for the devs (inspecting and validating the content)
- possibility of legal troubles (what if content gets approved, that is just copied from another game? What if a creator want's all of the sudden that his content has to be removed?)

What do you guys think?

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Re: Player created content (Items)

Post by Siegbert » 13 Apr 2014, 09:01

I think it's hard for players to create models and textures in a way that is compatible with the game in terms of style and functionality. In order for 3d models to look like they were made for the game they basically need to be done in the same way, and every artist has another way to do stuff.

But personally I can imagine to create my own armor pieces and upload it into the game.

Saxxon

Post by Saxxon » 13 Apr 2014, 11:31

Cosmetic items will be available for purchase in the store. Afaik these will be the only items available and the content will be created by the team at some time in the future. I doubt players will be able to contribute to this other than purchasing said items because of the quality control reasons Siegbert mentioned.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 13 Apr 2014, 11:52

Well, Mount&Blade has a great modding community for instance. I can imagine some people being able to deliver good stuff...

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 13 Apr 2014, 11:57

I believe that with steam workshop it might be possible to give people a chance to contribute that way, but that's for dev's to decide.

Ramaraunt

Post by Ramaraunt » 13 May 2014, 03:23

I was about to post something like this. With personal servers, this would become a lot more probable.

Imagine futuristic servers, roman servers, gunpowder servers, etc etc. All designed with player input.

Bump.

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog » 25 May 2014, 20:46

I would just like to point out look at dota 2 most of the in game items are made my the players some items are even thought of not made by the pro players of what they would like to see in item sets.

Saxxon

Post by Saxxon » 26 May 2014, 18:43

Bigdog wrote:I would just like to point out look at dota 2 most of the in game items are made my the players some items are even thought of not made by the pro players of what they would like to see in item sets.

LiF:YO will be have the option to be fully modded if the admin wants it that way but don't expect to see any user content in the LiF MMO.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas