Art design: Too much fantasy

Have some feedback for Life is Feudal? Post it here!
WestArcher

Art design: Too much fantasy

Post by WestArcher » 25 Feb 2018, 15:45

I'm not certain if I've gotten the wrong idea, but I thought the approach this game was going to have was a semi realistic medieval type setting with a few liberties here and there, but there seems to be way too much fantasy in the art design and I don't mind that too much but it's starting to take over.

It's especially apparent in the basic clothing everyone seems to be covered in the common fantasy trope of muddy colors and hilariously terrible stitching, even the decorated clothes have giant 2 inch long stitches going up the front and back.

Take a page from Deliverance: Kingdom come, It's getting a boatload of praise from its attention to detail in accuracy of history design, and that's what a lot of us nerds that play games like Life is Feudal are looking for, the fantasy designs are neat but it would be nice to see some more historical designs as well.

You have tons and tons of historical designs. Asian, European, Slavic etc and each of those groups has a ton of different sub groups throughout history with a ton of different designs.

There's loads of interesting stuff you can do and please remember to take a few steps away from the whole fantasy stuff, especially with nordic designs with the stereotypical fantasy viking stuff.
The fantasy stuff isn't bad, but there does seem to be a growing interest in seeing historically accurate designs in medieval setting games, and considering you have a semi-fantasy world you can quite easily get away with taking away from different periods of time.
From 3 kingdoms era china, Mongols, Rome, Vandals, Mughals, etc etc.

There's a metic ton of really neat stuff you can do.
Couters, Brigandines, Gambesons, etc etc
and don't be afraid to add metal helmets like kettle hats, salets, bascinets etc etc to all of the combat classes, especially the cavalry, slinger, and militia lines.
Just because the the militia, slinger or cavalry line is something like "padded armor" doesn't have to mean their armor is exclusively made of cloth! even the cavalry lines chainmail could use some proper helmets

and one last thing! Please add padded coifs underneath all of the helmets (especially the iron plate helmet), I BEG YOU

Hodo

Re: Art design: Too much fantasy

Post by Hodo » 26 Feb 2018, 13:58

WestArcher wrote:I'm not certain if I've gotten the wrong idea, but I thought the approach this game was going to have was a semi realistic medieval type setting with a few liberties here and there, but there seems to be way too much fantasy in the art design and I don't mind that too much but it's starting to take over.

It's especially apparent in the basic clothing everyone seems to be covered in the common fantasy trope of muddy colors and hilariously terrible stitching, even the decorated clothes have giant 2 inch long stitches going up the front and back.

Take a page from Deliverance: Kingdom come, It's getting a boatload of praise from its attention to detail in accuracy of history design, and that's what a lot of us nerds that play games like Life is Feudal are looking for, the fantasy designs are neat but it would be nice to see some more historical designs as well.

You have tons and tons of historical designs. Asian, European, Slavic etc and each of those groups has a ton of different sub groups throughout history with a ton of different designs.

There's loads of interesting stuff you can do and please remember to take a few steps away from the whole fantasy stuff, especially with nordic designs with the stereotypical fantasy viking stuff.
The fantasy stuff isn't bad, but there does seem to be a growing interest in seeing historically accurate designs in medieval setting games, and considering you have a semi-fantasy world you can quite easily get away with taking away from different periods of time.
From 3 kingdoms era china, Mongols, Rome, Vandals, Mughals, etc etc.

There's a metic ton of really neat stuff you can do.
Couters, Brigandines, Gambesons, etc etc
and don't be afraid to add metal helmets like kettle hats, salets, bascinets etc etc to all of the combat classes, especially the cavalry, slinger, and militia lines.
Just because the the militia, slinger or cavalry line is something like "padded armor" doesn't have to mean their armor is exclusively made of cloth! even the cavalry lines chainmail could use some proper helmets

and one last thing! Please add padded coifs underneath all of the helmets (especially the iron plate helmet), I BEG YOU

Oh I agree...

And it is Sallet.

The Khoor clothing is pretty close to the Mongolian style of clothing, but they wore more than brown, on brown, with brown.

Colors were quite common, because, well dyes.... people even painted the armor to keep it from rusting.
Don't build what you can't defend- Rule number 1.

Return to Feedback Section