More trade specialization

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Jezbelle
Alpha Tester

More trade specialization

Post by Jezbelle » 22 Jun 2014, 19:31

I'm worried that there is not enough diversity among people with the same profession/peaceful trade. There's going to be a million blacksmiths, for instance, all with the same ability to make the exact same armors.

I think it would be incredibly helpful to the immersion if the "last profession" per tree was released with an aesthetic pathway.

For instance, a new blacksmith would have to choose a path between making "oriental-style" armor vs "french" vs "british" style. Or even just choose to make scale vs plate vs chain mail. This would make each blacksmith a little more unique.

The same could apply to the other trees. Architects could potentially have the same choice of learning one of many styles to build in. A siege builder could specialize in a particular siege weapon vs knowing how to build them all. Alchemy and tailoring can work the same way.

I'm sure there are even better ways to do this, what do you guys think? Am I getting worried over nothing? In games like WoW, crafters have "rare recipes" that other crafters don't have, and that's what make THEM unique. I certainly think it added something to the game. "Rare recipes" are actually more ideal, but I don't know how they could be implemented in this game.

When you're part of a guild or society and nearly everyone can do what you can already do, what's the point of having the profession? I would feel useless. If we separate the profession a little more, I think it is more likely that each player can serve a more particular, specialized role for their kingdom, and actually be a valuable tool.
Last edited by Jezbelle on 22 Jun 2014, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Re: Aesthetic profession pathways

Post by Siegbert » 22 Jun 2014, 19:50

Pretty sure this will come. Right now there is only a couple of different styles available.

It would be kinda dumb if the smith for one guild who does the armor for each of his guild members is simultaneously able to forge armor of a different culture. Why should he be able to do this?

I mean, maybe he could, but at the cost of other skills. If he wants to be the universal smith he could not be a good fighter as well.

Jezbelle
Alpha Tester

Post by Jezbelle » 22 Jun 2014, 20:08

Yeah, I get that aesthetic variations will take a lot more time.

So I guess what I mean to say is that we use what we already have and divide it up. For instance, so that a blacksmith can only make mail armor. Or only make plate. If we could divide it up even more (or the other parts of the tree), that would be ideal IMO...

Crusader316

Post by Crusader316 » 22 Jun 2014, 20:19

Great idea.

Whether it's aesthetic specialization or some other kind of specialization I think it's a great idea that would add a lot of depth to the game. :good:

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 22 Jun 2014, 20:21

You think too much in the tracks of themeparks. You think of the armor as an aesthetic personal item when it will be closer to a resource in LiF.

You also forget that creating armors is a team effort. There wont be running around a lot of hermits in the same full plate armor, since it will be incredibly difficult to produce high quality armor on your own, for a multiple number of reasons.

There is a variety of armors in-game and there will be more to come. Limiting players wont add complexity, just cause irritation.

Also, there's the cash shop.

Jezbelle
Alpha Tester

Post by Jezbelle » 22 Jun 2014, 20:28

I hope so, Thokan.

But can you really say that making everyone's role a little more specialized won't help simulate a more realistic and cooperative gaming experience? Imagine a village that needs to fill 50 professional roles instead of 5. It would seem a lot more like a village.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 22 Jun 2014, 20:40

Jezbelle wrote:I hope so, Thokan.

But can you really say that making everyone's role a little more specialized won't help simulate a more realistic and cooperative gaming experience? Imagine a village that needs to fill 50 professional roles instead of 5. It would seem a lot more like a village.

You will choose to specialize from what resources you have and what needs the group have anyway. The crafting system is way more complex than five roles, that is to simplify it.

Besides, why should it require a 50 man group to even have access to everything? Thats putting knowledge by the numbers.

Jezbelle
Alpha Tester

Post by Jezbelle » 22 Jun 2014, 21:14

Besides, why should it require a 50 man group to even have access to everything? Thats putting knowledge by the numbers.

Not having immediate access to everything makes the game more fun. It's actually a general theme for this game in the first place. It means you have to barter for services, hire players with unique talents, and play more cooperatively. It's not the end of the world when you don't always have everything at your fingertips. This is simply where we disagree.

Terminus_Zaire
Alpha Tester

Re: More trade specialization

Post by Terminus_Zaire » 23 Jun 2014, 03:50

Ultimately I'm not very worried, because there are
over 122 different pieces of armor in the game.
I think I counted 18 different sets of armor,
8 different types of shields,

And wearing different types of armor (novice, regular, etc) depends on your combat level, so not everybody is going to have the same type of armor.

PLUS, there are different armor types made from the 4 types of common ingots, so it gives the formula:

Armor Type x Armor Level x Ingot Type = All the different styles of armor.

That's a shit ton of armor styles.

EDIT:
This is only Armor covered, I'm not even going to talk about weapons because it covers the same principles.

How about... food, recipes.
Different areas of the map will see different types of plants grow better, and some settlements will have more of one ingredient than another. There are dozens of different recipes, so players will really get to choose what they WANT to make rather than what they HAVE to.

Hopefully horses will be similar in that they have different traits when raised differently,

And I almost forgot to add that smiths with higher levels will create items with a higher quality than others.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 23 Jun 2014, 08:17

Jezbelle wrote:

Not having immediate access to everything makes the game more fun. It's actually a general theme for this game in the first place. It means you have to barter for services, hire players with unique talents, and play more cooperatively. It's not the end of the world when you don't always have everything at your fingertips. This is simply where we disagree.

You should be limited from what resources in form of material, services and what not you possess, not be locked out from certain armors as a small group of players for not being 50 men.

Honzadr

Post by Honzadr » 23 Jun 2014, 19:25

making someone unable to make leather armor becouse he wanted to craft himself iron armor before he decided to be merchant?
just :no: :no: :no:

Baelgor
Alpha Tester

Post by Baelgor » 23 Jun 2014, 19:40

You can be whatever you want and if you dont like your profession just reskill, you dont have to make twinks just choose another skill, get the arrow up and your actualls down and poof your can make lether armor in some time. You have to think what the ppl in your village town need the most but if you dont like it just be whatever you want and go search some other community to trade your goods^^ This is what i like the most in LiF :D FreeDOOM!

Honzadr

Post by Honzadr » 23 Jun 2014, 20:21

i think it will end up like this
if there is a village with iron vein>iron armor+iron weapons
village with lots of hares,chickens,cows and forest with deers>leather armor+ranged weapons

Baelgor wrote:FreeDOOM!
:ROFL:

Baelgor
Alpha Tester

Post by Baelgor » 23 Jun 2014, 20:25

yeah why not? This is only logical because you should use the ressources you have.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas