Remove Skill Loss Death Penalty

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Gerebax

Remove Skill Loss Death Penalty

Post by Gerebax » 28 Jun 2018, 17:47

Remove Skill Loss Death Penalty when Alignment is sufficiently high enough.

The skill loss associated with dying is a feature that keeps many pve/farmers from even attempting combat (or absolutely never trying a second time). Dying and having a key skill drop from 90 to 89 or even 89.5 is frustrating to top up. For a farmer wanting to give pvp a solid try would be faced with dying several times, and the effort to replace those skills is just not worth it, so they just don't do it. If you want to encourage pvp, this would be a straight-foward and effective way of doing it.

Considering that people with death insurance have no skill loss, there is nothing inherent to the 'hardcore' aspect or the 'healthy fear of dying'. The balance is between making money off death insurace vs encouraging more pvp. My experience in-game has been with the vast majority of farmer/builers just not doing pvp. From what I read on the forum, encouraging pvp is a major desire.

Thoughts?

Poll: https://lifeisfeudal.com/Discussions/qu ... th-penalty

Gerebax Khan
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!”

WestArcher

Re: Remove Skill Loss Death Penalty

Post by WestArcher » 05 Jul 2018, 04:43

I will agree with this.
Many people who don't want to buy insurance have a tendency to shy away from pvp and then they're missing out on all the fun.

Skill drop can leave, but in exchange alignment needs to be reworked and do something that is actually interesting, and instead of losing skill have alignment drop (or increase) towards 0 on death. The more a character is positive or negative the more extreme the character alignment moves toward 0 (exception being a sinner can't progress beyond a certain point without an indulgence)

I don't know what you can do with it maybe some passive bonuses/abilities on heavy +/- alignment? Toss cosmetic gear in there?
The abilities/passives/cosmetics/whatever granted to characters on heavy positive or negative alignment do have to be interesting as well as worth maintaining however, especially if you wan't to sell alignment insurance.

As far as what? Iunno
Chivalrous/good stuff on heavy positive such as combat luck, a minor hard hp heal (a character can only receive one per hour or something to avoid stacking someone up to full), a small aoe stamina heal or anything of that nature

Dastardly/evil things on heavy negative.
Even going as far as to reworking equip maintain and putting poisons as an alignment ability (and extending the number of weapons that can be empoisoned)
Negative is a little more open, you can put a lot of different abilities or bonusses in here

It's just one idea at least I'm sure you can do a lot of different things with making alignment do something interesting as opposed to the very boring task of doing some grinding to top your skills be up.

Another thing I would like to see is that every character drops a head/trophy but on the loot tombstone as opposed to dropping into the character inventory, a saint/sinners +/- X alignment head can potentially be implemented as a type of currency for sacrifice or something depending on where the devs end up wanting to take it, if they do ever decide to do something with it.

I just don't know. Anything is fine as long as it gets more people out into open world

Return to General Discussion