Ability to write on personal maps.

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Vallras
Alpha Tester

Ability to write on personal maps.

Post by Vallras » 11 Feb 2014, 10:45

I think it would be a great addition to the game if we could have our own maps, and write on them. I think this could add a nice aspect to PVE as well as PVP, in the context that if you kill someone, find their map, see what is written onto it, find good spawns,treasure hunt.

(sorry if this has been brushed over)

Sting5

Re: Ability to write on personal maps.

Post by Sting5 » 11 Feb 2014, 16:12

I've also suggested this option on this topic:

navigation-t693/page10/

but most replies shows only of interest to orientation by stars etc. (Don't really know how this damages the realism of making notes on map though.) So You might suggest Your idea there as well.
QUAERO TOTUS

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 11 Feb 2014, 17:06

I would prefer handwritten maps as opposed to interactive maps with in-built GPS. I could imagine this really good in a game like this.

Also I wouldn't need to open up a map on my second screen, which I need to google first.

Sirxavier

Post by Sirxavier » 11 Feb 2014, 22:11

if there was a map drawing mini game that you can draw and edit, that would be great.

Vallras
Alpha Tester

Post by Vallras » 12 Feb 2014, 04:45

Sting5 wrote:I've also suggested this option on this topic:

navigation-t693/page10/

but most replies shows only of interest to orientation by stars etc. (Don't really know how this damages the realism of making notes on map though.) So You might suggest Your idea there as well.

Ahh i didn't see your post. I'll have to post there too.
Last edited by Vallras on 12 Feb 2014, 05:54, edited 1 time in total.

Telakh
Alpha Tester

Post by Telakh » 12 Feb 2014, 05:35

Dunno. We use our own maps to set routes, place marks and comments there. Worked good in Salem and H&H and will work in LiF as well.
ImageYou are entering    Time ParadoxImage

Sting5

Post by Sting5 » 12 Feb 2014, 13:31

I honestly started liking the idea of personal maps and compass as the only navigational tools. Seems that it would bring the spirit of the game more accurately and give game some unique flavor.
QUAERO TOTUS

LordWiese
Alpha Tester

Post by LordWiese » 12 Feb 2014, 13:59

Wops, didn't see this one before I wrote this up.

There is a bit of debate going on right now dealing with mini-maps, in game location maps, and the like, I'd like to offer a unique alternative, of course, I don't know what the devs have planned.

What I would like to see, rather than pinpoint location mini-maps, and large scale grid maps, is player made maps, drawn out by the players themselves. Now, this could be a challenge considering there is not currently a in game feature allowing players to sketch up anything. It could be done though, give players a feature that would allow them to draw up maps(maybe that provide a basic overview of the world) and mark up the way In which they view the world by landmarks, locations, natural trails, mountains, distances, villages, cities, forts, castles etc. This would have to develop over time of course, and would be more effective if players could copy the maps and trade them, allowing for standard maps to develop as inaccurate ones are phased out.

The main problem I have with mini-maps, and detailed over view maps is that they take some of the immersion out of the game. It robs me of my want to explore the world to figure it out, and to get to know my homeland better. It would also allow for new players to zerg rush the pretty location they see on a map and claim it as theirs, while a week later they could be gone, because lets face it, games like this has a rather large learning curve. This would leave this location claimed, but empty, and would annoy the dedicated players.

Ishamael
Alpha Tester

Post by Ishamael » 13 Feb 2014, 00:19

The draw distance should be around 1km according to the FAQ... that's a large distance. I recommend using in-game mechanics and build yourself a small tower to be able to see from high up... or climb a mountain and take a screenshot. From there you can use photoshop to edit the screenshot and make it look like a map then post in the forums and get lots of +1's :)

Mortal online added the ability for players to write books and draw pictures... you know what happened? Lots of penis pictures, that's what happened.
"Yes, Betrayer of Hope. They gave me the name to revile me, but I will yet make them kneel and worship it."
—Ishamael

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

LordWiese
Alpha Tester

Post by LordWiese » 13 Feb 2014, 09:07

Fair point :ROFL:

We could always role with the WURM online model, where the players are given a general overview of the world and we do a community map on the forums of faction locations, claims, towns, bays, outpost, mines, areas to avoid etc.

Prion
Alpha Tester

Post by Prion » 13 Feb 2014, 11:59

as I understand it empty claimed areas will not happen, as the decay on claims will be fairly fast without some kind of maintenence.
I like the idea of hand drawn maps, but it depends where you want to draw the line between realism/immersion and accesibility/user friendliness for a game like this I would imagine fairly on the realism side :)
I think at least have our own notes on maps, if not hand drawn

En_Dotter

Post by En_Dotter » 16 Feb 2014, 13:42

Baldur's Gate 2 had a nice map UI. There were set points on each map (towns for example) which had premade makrs (Inn, Blacksmith and what not). I dont want auto map markers like this, but Baldur's Gate 2 had another really really nice option. You could add your own markers with texts (even choose a color for the marker to organize stuff better).

I am all for custom maps (we make own maps, even a minor/major skill?) and we add markers. I am against auto map sharing with anyone (even clan mates). It would be easy to supply enemies if you have a spy within. But a true spy wont have a problem getting hands on maps anyway (i just wouldnt like it to be that easy :D)

Sting5

Post by Sting5 » 17 Feb 2014, 05:16

While I would be happy with personal drawed maps as great experience but... One thing that bothers me... Is there anyone with cartographic topographic abilities? I'm not sure if I could make a decent map without pre-made tool for that. :(
QUAERO TOTUS

Wolfhelm

Post by Wolfhelm » 14 Aug 2014, 17:28

im going to post here as well.

i like this idea, and to add more, maybe instead of gps, there can be coords like in minecraft, which the player can view via a certain key, and when you scroll around on the map with your mouse, it shows the coords your mouse is pointing over (for a bit more ease of acess), as well as the ability to write on them would be cool.

on another note books would be cool as well, allow players to leave hints ect around.

This is our land! post17956/#p17956

Return to Suggestions and Ideas