Horse Breeding

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Jezbelle
Alpha Tester

Horse Breeding

Post by Jezbelle » 03 Aug 2014, 00:46

So Lukepop mentioned he had an idea for horse breeding, which made me decide to offer my own.

It doesn't have to be complicated at all, but when you put two horses together to mate, their unique colors should produce a new, randomized color that is some cross between the two parent's colors. You could breed certain colors out for more desirable colors, or mix cool patterns. Some varieties would obviously be more desirable than others. Some players could even make a business out of it.

Breeding would be for vanity purposes only (although maybe not? eg. horse speed?). I understand that implementing this is a last priority for the developers, although i think it would add another really neat appeal to the game.

Kern
Alpha Tester

Re: Horse Breeding

Post by Kern » 03 Aug 2014, 07:00

Other question related to the horses : How do we "catch" them the first time ? I suppose it will not be bought and suddently appeared into the game ! Will we have to chase savage horses ? It could be an idea of mini-game !

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 03 Aug 2014, 07:25

I like how it was done in Mortal Online. You would need to develop a taming skill and pet and talk to those little horsies on the fields after which they would follow you. You had a whole lot of interaction possibilities with them which I found really neat.

EpicBlade

Post by EpicBlade » 03 Aug 2014, 08:41

IMO the mortal online taming system is pretty lame with your character coming up to the horse(Simple and easy though), "I will be nice to you Horsey.". Maybe we could get trapping skill maybe intertwined with the hunting skill. Once the animal is successfully trapped, it turns into one of the horse statues in your invo(maybe named "Wild Horse" then states-> unable to ride )you could place it in barn and or pin where it turns to the full blooded animal and you just tame it by feeding/trying to ride it, then eventually becomes tamed or maybe a taming mini-game of some sort.

- idk just a thought.

Dracathio

Post by Dracathio » 03 Aug 2014, 12:02

Well two ways it could go, trap/net a horse and break it [aka force the horse to your will] OR do it the way American Indians did it which was spend time with the horse which seams to be the way you do it in Mortal I guess [no clue never played it]

So that is 2 ways it could happen, I think best way is a taming skill because than You might be able to tame wild animals than and make ranches and farms and so forth later on with higher skill, might even end up being able to become a feral style guild where you can have armies of animals or something like that. [Think it actually was what happened in some battle cases in the medieval ages]

Dang this post took this off topic majorly, but as was said at start there may be a breeding system that I do think was spoken about in a video the one done by RHINO, so breeding may be put into place but may not be so thorough in detail till later, but could end up being put into place in later development.

Honzadr

Post by Honzadr » 04 Aug 2014, 18:54

i think that arabian horse(white,small hoofs) should be rare,hard to breed,but fastest

but in early medieval, in Europe there were only robust horses(Skyrim)

i´m sure i wrote something about castration of animal, but i can not find it(please if somebody remembers send me a link, or post it)

and i also wrote tread, and one of the ideas was that if your horse grows up in stable-it will be fast
if he grows up in a pen(fence, why pen?) he will be strong(dragging carts and timber)

(is there a word for all domesticated animals in English?)

Baelgor
Alpha Tester

Post by Baelgor » 05 Aug 2014, 00:15

To get back to OPs suggestion, I do think horse breeding should be fairly hard because horses were and are still valuable animals which cost lots of money.
The colour could also be a breeding point like Lords, Dukes, Kings what ever you want to call them do want a cool looking horse in black or white or maybe they want them for their guards to impress the enemies.
And I think you should be able to select better animals in the breeding progress like mordern breeder do it, e.g. 2 horses are "fast" (+max. Speed) you put em together they make 3 little ponys, 2 are also fast but one isn´t so it ends up as a sausage for your local cook and your food multiplier^^ So you keep breeding only the fast ones and after a couble of generations you have the fastest horses on the entire map! Which is totally badass ... and everyone wants to buy them so you will be a very rich and famous breeder.
And i don´t think its only for vanity because I´m sure you don´t want to travel for 2 hours across the map by foot^^ I think horses will be the main mean of transportation so they are essential for trade.

Dracathio

Post by Dracathio » 05 Aug 2014, 11:35

Baelgor wrote:To get back to OPs suggestion, I do think horse breeding should be fairly hard because horses were and are still valuable animals which cost lots of money.
The colour could also be a breeding point like Lords, Dukes, Kings what ever you want to call them do want a cool looking horse in black or white or maybe they want them for their guards to impress the enemies.
And I think you should be able to select better animals in the breeding progress like mordern breeder do it, e.g. 2 horses are "fast" (+max. Speed) you put em together they make 3 little ponys, 2 are also fast but one isn´t so it ends up as a sausage for your local cook and your food multiplier^^ So you keep breeding only the fast ones and after a couble of generations you have the fastest horses on the entire map! Which is totally badass ... and everyone wants to buy them so you will be a very rich and famous breeder.
And i don´t think its only for vanity because I´m sure you don´t want to travel for 2 hours across the map by foot^^ I think horses will be the main mean of transportation so they are essential for trade.

My favorite part about this is the random thought "hm could end up getting himself killed being the best breeder, his/her ranch takin from them by the more powerful kingdom that loved the horses they bought so much they had to steal the place for their self"

Being famous has it's perks, but it also has it's cons. A breeder will end up as a target, same for a blacksmith, as well as cook [being skilled in any of these situations makes you a target and means you better make sure your part of a good group or your going to end up dead because of lack of protection]

So if your going to go into a certain skill and Master it's abilities and it's something that helps majorly and is a big part of the game, be sure to protect yourself so you can keep at ur craft =]

Baronandy

Post by Baronandy » 13 Aug 2014, 06:44

i personally loved taming and breeding

http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads ... 86gyai.jpg

here a link of petstats from mortal online which could inspire

these are perfectly breeded horses from mortal every horse have different stats and look.

-so if you have a black male and white feemale (you can get a white or black horse) statwise the small horse can get randomly the stats from the father and stats from the mother .

- if you have 1 horse with 60 dex 2 int 33 speed and 1 horse with 22 dex 6 int and 44 speed ,you hope the baby will get the dex from horse 1 and the int and speed from horse 2.

-there was so many different looks of horses you could bread with exactly the stats you want.

-some horses was too fast that they already lost stamina in second speed other horses regained stamina in second speed depending on there stats. some were faster in second speed and slower in 3rd speed .

i know people who played the game only as a breeder we had a girl who did nothing else then breeding the finest horses which looks best and sold them. (in mortal you riped once a day so there was a market for good pets)

in mortal you could stable a male and a female horse and can decide send them to training for 2 gold (they gain 10 lvl) or breed them for 2 gold , it take 4 h if you are online or not .

it can happen that you got a new mount now (with good or bad stats) or that the newborn died
or the mother died. the mother die only in very very rare cases. and the newborn can die to inbreeding so you have to be in contact with other breeders to get mounts with a new bloodline.

this system was awesome in mortal online never seen a better one
loved how they did it in this game , was also a reason to always visit events , because in events every creature was dominateable if it spawned with a low lvl. it made sense to visit dungeons because sometimes in hard dungeons are rare animals.

in mortal there was items you can get from hard bosses like a spider queen egg or after the hardest dungeon you got azur gloves, these items increased your taming skill for this kind of creature (spider eggs for spiders to dominate a spider queen or azur gloves to get a rare stone golem) the pve guys and also pvp guys like me loved to collect rare animals

SaresITA89
Alpha Tester

Post by SaresITA89 » 24 Aug 2014, 10:24

Kern wrote:Other question related to the horses : How do we "catch" them the first time ? I suppose it will not be bought and suddently appeared into the game ! Will we have to chase savage horses ? It could be an idea of mini-game !

I like how in black desert

[youtube]zgcoJhkAw9g[/youtube]

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 24 Aug 2014, 10:38

Yeah... looks nice.
Weren't it for guys having deer antlers in their faces and other ridiculous stuff I'd be willing to test that game at some time.

Why can't there be more good looking non-ridiculously fantasy games on the market...

Docere
Alpha Tester

Post by Docere » 24 Aug 2014, 15:50

The coat color of the horses shouldn t be so easy to predict.
Because in reallity two black horses don´t "produce" a black foal necessarly. I think it should just increase the possibility to get a black foal.
So the breeding of a certain color should be pretty difficult.

But the stat should be "genetically transferable" with also a higher percentage to get the wanted foal.

f.ex. take a white and a brown horse that are both fast, but have no endurance. U get a foal with 80 % chance to be fast but will have 100 % chance to have bad endurance.
For the color u would have 30 % to get a white coat but 60 % to get a brown coat because brown is the predominant color for horses. The 10 % could be any other color (black, sorrel, grey and so on).

I think that would be the best and more realistic way to breed horses and so u can establish ur own "race" of horses as a good breeder by selecting the good horses for breeding. Because if I´m correct we will have to tame a wild horse to get our first own horses right?

And in the middle ages horses already had different "forms".
The "pony-like" horses like in skyrim were the horses used in the nordic lands. But f.ex. in spain u already had among the "normal" horses the Genet, who is the ancestor of the spanish and portuguese pure bred and already looked like the ones today. (That were horses renowed for there agility and "royal look").
And you had a more massiv horse that was used for war. (comparable to our draft horses but a bit smaller).
The horses of this days were all shorter than the horses nowadays.

I think the size of the horse should also be a horsestat so you can be renowed for producing big fearsome warhorses all around the world.

Ps.: Arabian horses never were the "fastest" horses but the best endurance runners. This and there loyality towards (only) his owner made their renown around the world.

PPs.: I find it pretty cool too like they made taming in black desert

I hope it´s all understandable I tried my best to find the right words in english :)

Sorry for long post :)

Honzadr

Post by Honzadr » 24 Aug 2014, 23:33

1.horses(i mean horse and mare, not horse and horse OK) can´t breed if they are wearing armor

2. stats
i think we need stat base(genetically predefined stats that new horse will begin with-fracture of both parents stats when they made new foal) and these stats will then have to be improved via training(so horses will have to level up too),so when horse breeders don´t care about breeding, they can train new horses

stats:* are increased by any activity they affect and also by treats

strength-your horse needs it to drag carriages and logs faster, wield horse armor and reduces its speed loss(apple)

speed-increases speed and stamina and also improves jumping ability(carrot)(now this stat is important, because if you force your horse to run even when its stamina is depleted, it can start drain his HP instead)

endurance-increases horses HP, hunger bar size and resistance against diseases(increased by good food(oats) and care-grooming,hoof cleaning,etc.)(if you wonder what skill will allow horse training, i think animal lore is good candidate)

hunger-you know how hunger bar works ;)
thirst-you need bucket with water and give it to your horse

if you want to prevent unsuccessful birth and increase starting stats of foal, give flax seeds to hare while foal is not born yet

(sugar cubes and cookies are also possibility, but sugar is not in game and i don´t know what are cookies made of)

3.loyalty
you can use only mares or castrated horses for riding, because normal horses would start to fight each other if just one "ready" mare is around and they stop following your orders
mares and C.horses can also ignore you if their loyalty is way too low

if you want to increase loyalty, you can do it by giving your horse any treat,or hay, or by not using him for a while, you can still lead him around if you aren´t riding him, or by leaving him in stables
,but you can also decrease loyalty by using spurs,or whip too often(but if used once in a while it will boost its morale slightly) and each time stamina hits 0
if your horse gets too hungry, its loyalty will slowly decrease and after time it will start to ignore you and look for nearby grass
if your horse gets thirsty, it will start to deplete its stamina and when it reaches 0, it will look for nearby grass(a bit of water),or fountain(it can not drink from wells and water at sea level should be salty)

example:
you can have max 100 point of loyalty
0-10=your horse refuses to follow your orders
10-25=you horse follows you, but refuses to give you a ride
25-30=you can ride it, but it won´t run
30-40=it will start to trot
40-50=line where morale can not be regained just by waiting, but you need to use stables
50-60=horse can now gallop(sprinting) (55=you can kill it by exhaustion)
60-80=normal horse follows your orders even if there is female nearby
80-90=horse won´t get out of control if it gets hit (horse armor has same effect, but if it gets hit by too strong, or in weak spot, it can frighten away) if you aren´t riding it it will move a bit, but it won´t stay in one place(so archers can not kill it)
90-99=horse will join into battle if it is attacked
100=all stat increased

there should be a point where foal´s stats will start to be regressive
example:
you have mare with maxed speed and horse with max speed, but because sum of their stats are over allowed line, their offspring will be retarded, or die
(much like when 2 very intelligent people have child that is dumb as clam, or can not breathe and worse)
(that is caused by too many genetical similarities that don´t allow genes to connect properly)

Return to Suggestions and Ideas