Questions and Thoughts

Welcome to the Life is Feudal: MMO community! Here you can ask your basic starters questions.

Ambaryerno

Questions and Thoughts

Post by Ambaryerno » 23 Aug 2014, 20:59

Ok, so, first of all, please forgive me if some of these questions have been asked before. Sometimes it's just easier to ask than hunt through the search.

So, I came here from the Kingdom Come boards, and a lot of this sounds interesting to me, however I did have some questions that don't seem to be addressed in the game info:

1) The one that's most important to me, and THE one question that will ultimately determine whether or not I play here:

By "Role Playing Game," does that mean CHARACTER, or is it just going to be the same ol' "Tank/Healer/DPS" party function that you have in every single other MMO ever.

This is a big one, because when I think of "role playing," I think playing a PERSON, not a function. I want to interact with other characters IN-character. If I play a Saxon and I stumble across someone else playing a Briton (assuming such a thing is even a possibility), I want there to be friction not just because of possible factions lines, but I want there to be PERSONAL friction between the characters; insulting one another's pedigree and accusations of dogs and such in one's family history. Because I'm a Saxon and he's a Briton, and we don't like each other.

I want to know when I log on, I won't be seeing people running around with their weapons drawn because they just want to rush to get to the quests and grinding, even if it means charging armed through the center of town, heedless of the peasantry in the way.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be free to just pop on for a bit of grinding now and then, but I want to see a gameworld where, if two characters pass each other, the players will stop, put up their weapons, and go in-character until they're out of view again before resuming the grind.

So will this game offer me what I'm looking for (be it separate RP vs. Non servers, etc.)? Or should I fire up Neverwinter Nights 2 again and hope I can find an RP server that's still active?

2) I noticed on the Game Info that the game is covering a period from the Fall of Rome to the introduction of firearms. Has there been any info released yet on how that will be done? Will there be separate servers for different eras? Because it would really suck to be playing a 6th Century Germanic warrior only to run across a Gothic-era walking tank (not just for shattering the suspension of disbelief, but just the sheer mechanical advantage the latter would have).

3) Speaking of armor, will we be seeing plate armor that actually IS that good, and none of the artificial balancing techniques (IE Max DEX bonus, agility and speed reduction, etc.) most games use to make Rogues and other light armor users feel useful?

4) While it's reasonable to have some quests that are repeatable or doable by all (IE, there's always bandits to slay and wolves to cull), will there be some quests that allow individual players to ACTUALLY make a difference? It really kills the immersion when EVERYBODY can complete the quest to slay the evil troll laying waste to the kingdom and earn the title of hero of the realm.

Thanks in advance!

Baelgor
Alpha Tester

Re: Questions and Thoughts

Post by Baelgor » 23 Aug 2014, 21:12

1) There are no quests. The player give quests to other players, like defend our tradepost or gather some herbs and you may get a reward, this is no themepark mmo no tanks no dps and well yeah there are healer but not with spells, you have bandages and stuff i believe (its not implemented yet). Rp is up to the user if you walk through the forum you will see a bunch of guilds which plan on rp events but there may be other players who just want to play a "realistic" feudal game.

2) No seperatet era servers everybuddy plays on the same megaserver. And it depends on you which armortype you prefer.

3) This may help a bit, http://lifeisfeudal.gamepedia.com/Armor i cant say something about stats because most of us (except the filmcrew) ran around in rags.

4) I repeat it there are no NPC driven quests! You can go to a player made village ask a player for a quest he is too lazy or too busy to do and the he may give you some coins or even armor for it. Its up to you and the other folks what your daily bread will be ;)

Life IS feudal, is what Bobik might say here :D

I hope this helped you somehow and im sry for gramar mistakes but i drowned some nice meadhorns :twisted:

Ambaryerno

Post by Ambaryerno » 23 Aug 2014, 23:10

Ok, I twitched on a few of those armor piece names (chainmail breastplate and greaves? Wha--?) I'm guessing (hoping!) those are just placeholders?

Although thank god, not a hint of "studded leather" to be found (that's one that REALLY bugs me, lol).

Anyway, so it shakes up to be a mixed bag of people out to actually RP, and people just on to hit things.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 24 Aug 2014, 07:43

Hi and welcome,

Ambaryerno wrote:1) The one that's most important to me, and THE one question that will ultimately determine whether or not I play here:

By "Role Playing Game," does that mean CHARACTER, or is it just going to be the same ol' "Tank/Healer/DPS" party function that you have in every single other MMO ever.

This is a sandbox game so it will be whatever you make of it. Most guilds do want to portray a role like Baelgor's guild aims to portray the Teutonic Knights, others will be Vikings, and there also is a pre-medieval pagan faction with "Heidens".
You will not be pressed into a certain role except that it must somewhat fit into the medieval scenario.

I want to know when I log on, I won't be seeing people running around with their weapons drawn because they just want to rush to get to the quests and grinding, even if it means charging armed through the center of town, heedless of the peasantry in the way.

You won't because as Baelgor said: it's not a themepark MMO. There are no quests, only player interaction, and PvP is pretty much restricted to guild vs guild wars since it's pretty punitive.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be free to just pop on for a bit of grinding now and then, but I want to see a gameworld where, if two characters pass each other, the players will stop, put up their weapons, and go in-character until they're out of view again before resuming the grind.

From my experience with this kind of games it's quite likely to happen this way.

2) I noticed on the Game Info that the game is covering a period from the Fall of Rome to the introduction of firearms. Has there been any info released yet on how that will be done? Will there be separate servers for different eras? Because it would really suck to be playing a 6th Century Germanic warrior only to run across a Gothic-era walking tank (not just for shattering the suspension of disbelief, but just the sheer mechanical advantage the latter would have).

You will have to deal with different styles. The game covers basically the medieval feudal era, IE high and late middle ages. 6th century would be pre-feudal, technically speaking.

Ambaryerno

Post by Ambaryerno » 24 Aug 2014, 15:03

Siegbert wrote:You will have to deal with different styles. The game covers basically the medieval feudal era, IE high and late middle ages. 6th century would be pre-feudal, technically speaking.

Speaking from experience coming from other games with mixed time periods, here:

While you might have a few oddballs who like to play with "older" gear, those are going to be few and far between and it's almost guaranteed everyone is going to build towards the most powerful (IE, latest) equipment. Unless you MASSIVELY nerf things like late-Medieval rigid plate armor to artificially balance it against the earlier stuff.

Seeker
Alpha Tester

Post by Seeker » 25 Aug 2014, 13:41

On the topic of the time frame/gear i think it will work that when u start u build all the basic equipment which would be historically primitive and as u progress(very slowly) it will change to more modern pieces.

Actually historically just because someone wore full plate, doesn't mean some peasants, that were called to arms, wore gear from previous conflict(50 year old) and shit. I reckon.

Cheers guys.
black-company-t1439/ Recruiting young mongrels, misfits and noobs since 2014) 'One day we will find our homeland!'

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/blackc ... 9431228985

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 25 Aug 2014, 14:07

Yeah, but you wouldn't wear stuff from 200-300 years ago :P
A peasant is more likely to wear padded gambesons rather than actual metal armor.

Seeker
Alpha Tester

Post by Seeker » 26 Aug 2014, 14:26

Man antic armour works in terms of style,. I am sure there were hipster plebs back in a days. :crazy:
black-company-t1439/ Recruiting young mongrels, misfits and noobs since 2014) 'One day we will find our homeland!'

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/blackc ... 9431228985

Strategos

Post by Strategos » 26 Aug 2014, 17:17

Ambaryerno wrote:Ok, I twitched on a few of those armor piece names (chainmail breastplate and greaves? Wha--?) I'm guessing (hoping!) those are just placeholders?

Although thank god, not a hint of "studded leather" to be found (that's one that REALLY bugs me, lol).

Anyway, so it shakes up to be a mixed bag of people out to actually RP, and people just on to hit things.

Yes, that does sound a bit strange, doesn't it? I HOPE that's just a placeholder...

Link to the Duchy of Camorr Official Website:
http://duchyofcamorr.enjin.com/
Link to the Duchy of Camorr thread:
the-gentleman-bastards-t1255/
Link to The Duchy of Camorr Steam group:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/theduchyofcamorr

Ambaryerno

Post by Ambaryerno » 27 Aug 2014, 18:51

Strategos wrote:
Ambaryerno wrote:Ok, I twitched on a few of those armor piece names (chainmail breastplate and greaves? Wha--?) I'm guessing (hoping!) those are just placeholders?

Yes, that does sound a bit strange, doesn't it? I HOPE that's just a placeholder...

The biggest problem I see is trying to make complete "sets" of all armor types, when it really doesn't apply. IE, instead of this:

Heavy Chainmail Breastplate
Heavy Chainmail Gauntlets
Heavy Chainmail Greaves
Heavy Chainmail Helm
Heavy Chainmail Leggings
Heavy Chainmail Vambraces

Make it this:

Heavy Mail Hauberk
Heavy Mail Gauntlets
Heavy Mail Coif
Heavy Mail Chausses

Ditch the vambraces and greaves. If someone wants bracers and greaves they can grab them from one of the other types that it makes sense.

Also, I'm sure there's a better option for the step between heavy mail and full plate than that annoying D&D holdover "half plate." I mean where's the option for something like brigandine, or coat-of-plates? Both of which would fit nicely (at least as far as body armor) as the option right below full plate?

Return to Newcomer Section