NPCs, Benefactors, Respawning, Death...

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Fxmisc

NPCs, Benefactors, Respawning, Death...

Post by Fxmisc » 21 Jul 2014, 22:39

I don't like the idea of respawning at a save point if you die. I'm not sure if I read enough on it and don't quite understand it-- but what I do understand is that if you die, you respawn at your bed or something like that. But hear me out if that is the case.

I like the idea of my character dying for real. But what if you partnered or married a NPC and had a child. You can visit that child and activate them to do a chore for you, and you can have them gain skill points while you're away. (One per player.) If you die, the NPC now grows up and you play as that character with the skills you taught it. You might be overly protective of your kid and not ever have them leave the house, but it would limit their survival and other skills once you play as them.

Or if marriage isn't your thing, hiring a NPC as an assistant, and instead of having a kid, enact them as a benefactor if you die. So if you were a well known and well skilled smith/cook, and spent a lot of time with your assistant teaching them-- if you died out on the field you can come back with 'some' of the skills you invested in your assistant. Maybe even avenge your master's death.

It would make enslavement and kidnapping interesting because you'd want to get your wife/husband or kid back, and also protect your home at all costs as you shouldn't be able to respawn as your kid if they are currently in a captured or in an enslaved state.

Ah man, it'd be great to come back home from hunting and find out a bear or bandits killed your family. And like normal NPC they could wander the village unless you strictly told them to not leave the house. (In case of war and such.)

Though, there would definitely be a limit to how much skills you could put into your benefactor or kid so death has a sense of weight. Killing villagers would leave an impact on players, and protecting them would give a sense of worth and I'd feel secure if they were secure. People might be hesitant to engage in war because the weight of death too. But it'll feel so good to demolish the enemy if you do wage war!

What'ya guys think? Don't worry, I'm probably just dreaming. :beer:

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Re: NPCs, Benefactors, Respawning, Death...

Post by Thokan » 21 Jul 2014, 22:56

Yes, indeed. You will build houses with bindpoints to be able to respawn anywhere else than the starting city. This gives an actual reason for residential houses and also give them a strategic value.

The crafting and survival which this complexity just for one respawn seems to be based upon is only half of Life is Feudal's gameplay. The other half of the game is a open world, full loot PvP with instanced battles and sieges. There will be a lot of dying.

Even so, the suggested system is complex NPC-system for a game with the mindset of not having any NPCs.

Fxmisc

Post by Fxmisc » 21 Jul 2014, 23:20

Answer: There will be NPC traders in a central NPC city and we plan player vendors but later, after release.

Not any NPCs? Unless they changed the idea above, it sounded like they are going to implement NPCs at some point. It may be for one half of the game, but I think it's the half of the game that I'd enjoy.

They seem to be trying to make a game where pvp and death is common, however, I don't see the point or fun in respawning for a tactical advantage in any game especially if there is no weight to it. I like choices to have consequences. Besides, leveling up is easy in this game even if you decide not to have a benefactor or a kid. I also don't see how a war or battle can truly end if everyone are constantly respawning with the same skills.

Baelgor
Alpha Tester

Post by Baelgor » 22 Jul 2014, 00:07

Yes there will be traders and some random PvE events but there wont be NPCs like in other MMOs who sit in taverns or walk the streets. The trader NPCs are only to get the ingame coins rolling (I assume) and to provide hermits with some goods.

Fxmisc wrote:Besides, leveling up is easy in this game even if you decide not to have a benefactor or a kid. I also don't see how a war or battle can truly end if everyone are constantly respawning with the same skills.

Levelling might be easy in the alpha / beta test but for release they get it all back to normal speed which is preeeeety slow. And to obtain Lvl 100 in a skill you have to focus on this skill for more than a year in reallife time ... so it wont be that easy and with allignment working... You will think twice if you choose a battle.

And for the RP-ish guilds wars will end after some time through peace or by destroying the enemy monument (in the worst case scenraio).

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 22 Jul 2014, 04:39

How long do you think you will live? I expect to die in a relatively short period, especially when in a war situation... Maybe every 10-20 minutes you'd die and rush out into the battle again. Am I supposed to activate a child of mine each time?

That sounds to me more like a medieval Sims than a medieval battle game.

Fxmisc

Post by Fxmisc » 22 Jul 2014, 05:09

Your right. I was thinking more sim. Hmmm... So Life is Feudal is supposed to be only war oriented? Is cooking and smithing is not something a player would want to focus on in this game?

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 22 Jul 2014, 05:36

Sure it is. I'm only saying that if you are in a war situation and there is a battle going on, expect to die a lot. You might not partake in it, but others will and you need to have the same rules applied to all.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 22 Jul 2014, 08:19

Everytime you die you lose your inventory, equipment and skill points depending on your skill alignment. That is weight and consequence to your death.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 22 Jul 2014, 08:33

Sure, but do you really expect to die only once in a big battle where your guild needs you?
I think you will go in there well equipped with extra gear back in your camp to quickly re-equip yourself once you die. And you will continue to do so until the battle is done one way or the other.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 22 Jul 2014, 08:37

Siegbert wrote:Sure, but do you really expect to die only once in a big battle where your guild needs you?
I think you will go in there well equipped with extra gear back in your camp to quickly re-equip yourself once you die. And you will continue to do so until the battle is done one way or the other.

Ofcourse not :D

Seeker
Alpha Tester

Post by Seeker » 23 Jul 2014, 11:51

I think the idea is actually is pretty good. I myself had though of something similar. The inheritance can add to some really cool game play mechanics like a blood line with certain skill tree perks. But it would be pretty hard to implement and balance.

For example: Imagine there is a certain skill cap, similar to the one implemented in the LiF. You cant reach through life of one character. However if you were concentrating on lets say blacksmiths, when you die, and i mean die cos of the age(expiry date of character) your son/daughter inherits some of that skill level into his skillz. and so on.

Its hard to explain and I doubt this could be implemented, but i reckon its a cool concept.
Last edited by Seeker on 25 Jul 2014, 07:30, edited 1 time in total.
black-company-t1439/ Recruiting young mongrels, misfits and noobs since 2014) 'One day we will find our homeland!'

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/blackc ... 9431228985

Flannery
Alpha Tester

Post by Flannery » 23 Jul 2014, 15:12

I love all of these Ideas - and it reminds me somewhat of the system in the Guild II, and I still take that game "out for a walk" from time to time purely because of the dynasties system.

HOWEVER - I personally see these ideas as perfect for a theme-park game, and not for a Full loot Sandbox MMORPG.
But that's just personal reference :beer:
"The enemy of my enemy - is my friend"

"Tides of War" Pre Alpha Videos
http://www.tidesofwargame.com

Arthua

Post by Arthua » 23 Jul 2014, 17:37

Sounds like you want Fable, :D

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 26 Jul 2014, 04:17

The family system in fable had no point. No NPC's exist in this game nor will they. There will be straw dummies dressed as people who buy things from you and there will be wild animals that eat you. Everything else in the game is strictly PvP only and that's what makes it good..

Hagen

Post by Hagen » 02 Sep 2014, 11:48

An integral part of a Feudal Life, lastly any life, are Familiy, Inheritance and of course Death. Real, permanent, irrevocable, final Death for a character. I think if someone can come up with a creative solution to interconnect these roots of human motivation in a game like this it will create a tenfold of interest more than the most sophisticated artwork of how to level a character ever can.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas