Keeping up with the Agathians... (formation system)

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Keeping up with the Agathians... (formation system)

Post by Siegbert » 10 Sep 2014, 14:51

My worry about the formation system is that people will have a struggle moving in straight lines. There will always be some who are slower or quicker than others and people will leave the shape on the ground just to push into it right after.
It's quite likely to look chaotic when the formation is set out on a move.

I had similar experiences in Mount&Blade. In the beginning a line formation looks good but as soon as everyone begins to move it breaks apart.

Now my idea is that there could be an autopilot:

When your group leader commands the formation you need to go in there and press a button. You will then automatically move to the right position and stay there. Your movement will follow that of your leader's exactly so the formation will always look perfect.

To snap out of autopilot you just need to press a movement key.

What say you?

Heinrich_von_Leipa
Alpha Tester

Re: Keeping up with the Agathians... (formation system)

Post by Heinrich_von_Leipa » 10 Sep 2014, 16:51

:good:

Tantal
Alpha Tester

Post by Tantal » 10 Sep 2014, 17:52

Sounds good!

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 10 Sep 2014, 18:18

Now that I think about it:
That's actually a function in M&B singleplayer. You can "accompany" any friendly lord and will stay right next to him so when he is being attacked you're automatically considered his backup forces.

It's quite convenient.

Jezbelle
Alpha Tester

Post by Jezbelle » 10 Sep 2014, 18:43

+1

To me this idea is purely meta... it's for looking good when your battalion is moving before the battle.
Last edited by Jezbelle on 10 Sep 2014, 22:34, edited 2 times in total.

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 10 Sep 2014, 19:50

No auto pilot. You wanna know how you march in a straight line? You drill and learn to march properly. This will in itself divide experienced and drilled forces against a rabble of warriors with no cohesion.

There are simple enough tricks to straighten a line for example you don't just go from point a to point b you stop and let people catch up right before you engage.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 10 Sep 2014, 20:30

Proximo wrote:No auto pilot. You wanna know how you march in a straight line? You drill and learn to march properly. This will in itself divide experienced and drilled forces against a rabble of warriors with no cohesion.

Not really. Lag is an issue and so is timing. It might be less of a problem in LiF if people just walk at the same speed rather than run at different speeds.
Also you're talking about well trained guilds. The mechanic should work for public players as well who don't usually train with each other.

There are simple enough tricks to straighten a line for example you don't just go from point a to point b you stop and let people catch up right before you engage.

I bet there are but it would look more impressive with an autopilot function.

Demetrius

Post by Demetrius » 11 Sep 2014, 08:28

+1
I don't like the idea to get it automatical, but with lag and timing it's a big problem =\ that would end it. But another way to fix that, is:
group leader starts moving out on walking speed, people follow him, at a proper time he starts running. Obviously that must be used coordinating on Teamspeak

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 11 Sep 2014, 10:07

What could be the downside of an autopilot function? You lose a bit of control while you're in but as soon as you move you'd be free again and it would totally be optional.
Also I'd say that blocking and attacking should generally be possible while you're in that mode so you're not defenseless, maybe even turning your body so you can protect the group against incoming arrows from the sides.

Baelgor
Alpha Tester

Post by Baelgor » 11 Sep 2014, 10:35

There were many things that worked against us during the wannabe session. Lag, armor weight and maybe some ping issues.

I think autopilot may be a good thing but if you position your ppl right e.g. all plate armors in one group for the front lines and lighter armors like chainmail or leather for flanking, or even drill them right like Proximo said this may wont be problem, both sides have good pros and cons, im exited what devs will do about this^^

Seeker
Alpha Tester

Post by Seeker » 11 Sep 2014, 13:55

I am for and against in the same time. Maybe the formation can have a speed limitation as soon as you join one. I wonder if it would be hard to implement though.
black-company-t1439/ Recruiting young mongrels, misfits and noobs since 2014) 'One day we will find our homeland!'

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/blackc ... 9431228985

Ecka
Alpha Tester

Post by Ecka » 11 Sep 2014, 14:12

Nope, clearly nope

Your are human and you need discipline and training to follow real formation

Don't go easy ways guys :

Each person in a formation have different jobs and going autopilot is not the way of skill

Heinrich_von_Leipa
Alpha Tester

Post by Heinrich_von_Leipa » 11 Sep 2014, 14:16

Ecka wrote:Nope, clearly nope

Don't go easy ways guys :

Each person in a formation have different jobs and going autopilot is not the way of skill

+1 :good:

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 11 Sep 2014, 15:01

Ecka wrote:Nope, clearly nope

But that won't work. Following a formation irl is much easier as you can simply walk just as fast as the man next to you. In a game you have other things to consider like ping differences and possibly different walk speeds.

I'm pretty sure one thing we will not see in the game:
a wedge formation that stays intact while the group is in motion and the group leader changes the direction or speed or just stops randomly. People will break out of formation or will have to rearrange on the fly when the whole thing gets out of shape.

It will be a chaotic mess which doesn't have to be a bad thing. My argument really is more a cosmetic one for which I don't see any counter arguments except for "Don't do it, it'll be too easy!..." :%)

Ecka
Alpha Tester

Post by Ecka » 11 Sep 2014, 15:08

It will be chaotic for sure
But we will have some rage and some pure moment of laugh

Lead - Why the hell you where out of formation ?
Lambdaplayer - Dude, you didnt see the rare mushroom on the rightside ?
Lead - God dammit
Rest of teamspeak - *laugh*

Anyway we need to test the Archery /mounted fight / and fight before they take some action about formation

Actually formation is just a Red thing on the ground
It's just a Way to follow the formation not really a restrictive thing

Return to Suggestions and Ideas