LiF:Yo additions?

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

JakeF

LiF:Yo additions?

Post by JakeF » 27 Aug 2014, 20:12

What will the game-play purpose be in LiF:YO if you can't:

Create / Join Guilds
Claim Land
Play with more than 64 players
Battle or Siege
Play Minigames

Perhaps the player limit could be opened to 100 players?

Perhaps personal land claims could occur?
- If not: Maybe have a maximum of 2 or 3 guilds that can claim land?

Maybe allow the option for LiF:YO owners, to purchase accessories for their servers that are normally not inluded?

Why am I suggesting this?:

Many Multiplayer Games such as World of Warcraft, Pirates of the Burning Sea, Starcraft, Archage, and of course Runescape all require something in order to happily and adequately participate.

Answer: High Activity

As a college student myself, I know the importance in my studies. I understand that I cannot commit to playing in the competitive world of 10,000 players (multiplied by X servers). As a result of this widespread mentality, there are many NON-MMORPG games that are "look-alikes", with similar interfaces and features which derive from MMORPGs. These features have been added by independant developers to serve this hidden player-base. Such games include: Arma 3, Mount and Blade: Warband, San Andreas Multi-Player, Rust (modded servers), Garry's Mod, and MANY others.

Allowing players to create and host something that is relative to the game (perhaps not all the features, but enough to function as the game does on an MMO server). Allowing millions of part-time college students to become members of "sub-communities", under privately owned servers, will likely allow the player-base of LiF to expand exponentially.
Last edited by JakeF on 29 Aug 2014, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

MachineMedic
Alpha Tester

Re: LiF:Yo additions?

Post by MachineMedic » 27 Aug 2014, 20:27

What will the game-play purpose be in LiF:YO if you can't:

Create / Join Guilds
Claim Land
Play with more than 64 players
Battle or Siege
Play Minigames

The purpose is to put vanilla Minecraft to shame.

If you need more of a reason to play than enjoying the experience of creating your own world by yourself or with your friends, then LiF:YO will probably not be your flavor of game. :beer:

Though I'm not opposed to some sort of Mod API or other functionality, you need to be able to enjoy the base game itself before any number of mods or extra features will improve anything for you.

LordWiese
Alpha Tester

Post by LordWiese » 27 Aug 2014, 21:20

I'll just be using LIF:YO for training new players, but I can see what you're getting at. I don't see the point in it without good combat :Search:

The player cap though is to make sure the mmo version is more populated than the private version. This game is geared towards a massive feudal world where players battle it out in many different ways. Allowing players to tuck themselves off on their own little servers while having access to all the features would take away from the population of the main servers.

Elindor
True Believer

Post by Elindor » 28 Aug 2014, 16:14

This is a similar comment that I had - again, NOT NECESSARILY FOR MYSELF, but in thinking about the marketability of LiF:YO since part of its purpose is to create revenue and allow the main game to be completed...unless I am mistaken. So I want LiF:YO to do well...

Just want that out there before everyone goes "maybe its not your game, bleh bleh bleh" :crazy:

----------------------------

Anyhow - everyone keeps mentioning that LiF:YO will be like minecraft....but minecraft has NPC mobs that attempt to disrupt you, does it not?

I feel that without that sort of feature, LiF:YO could lose out on a portion of its potential playerbase.

I could be wrong. And either way it's probably a moot point since LiF doesn't have mobs and its probably too late to add them....but thought I'd point this out since everyone keeps mentioning Minecraft...

Matheuz
Alpha Tester

Post by Matheuz » 28 Aug 2014, 17:01

In LiF:YO you can battle.. but no siege. nobody saied you can't fight against your friends.
And for what you need to create Guilds when you play with your friends? or Claim a Land?

JakeF

Post by JakeF » 28 Aug 2014, 17:09

The purpose is to put vanilla Minecraft to shame.

If you need more of a reason to play than enjoying the experience of creating your own world by yourself or with your friends, then LiF:YO will probably not be your flavor of game. :beer:

Though I'm not opposed to some sort of Mod API or other functionality, you need to be able to enjoy the base game itself before any number of mods or extra features will improve anything for you.

I agree, you should be able to enjoy the game yourself, but would you spend additional money on renting a server with the current LiF:YO setup?

I certainly wouldn't because growth would be very limited and my time would practically be wasted. In order for LiF:YO to be of any success, it will have to contain SOME features of the game. Otherwise you might as well not include it and instead allow players to just play single-player without an additional purchase.

Matheuz wrote:In LiF:YO you can battle.. but no siege. nobody saied you can't fight against your friends.
And for what you need to create Guilds when you play with your friends? or Claim a Land?

Perhaps the reason I think more features should be added is:

- The concept of the game is fantastic and
- Perhaps I don't want to participate in a 10,000 player world.
- Instead, I want to pay money so I can enjoy the game with my own friends and create a sort-of smaller, personalized community.

Claiming Land? Well Why would you not need to claim land? If players are joining your server and participating, their progress should be saved.

Reason for this post?
- I am a college student, I usually take 15-18 credit hours at any given semester. I would be blown-away in combat and essentially rendered useless on a 10,000 player server that requires high levels of activity.

+ My point - If I were able to create a semi-functioning version of the game as an alternative, where just myself and my friends could play, I would (as would they) rather have that instead. I know for a fact, that many people (millions of college students) do not actively play MMORPG's because they are so time consuming (compared to FPS and regular Sandbox games.) It would be another alternative to generate revenue and not lose a potential player-base.

LordWiese
Alpha Tester

Post by LordWiese » 28 Aug 2014, 17:36

^^^ Best points made so far, the reason Mount and Blade Warband has such a large player base from the college age, and full work force age is because people can jump right into it.

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 28 Aug 2014, 20:28

I haven't really checked the information on YO but I think the devs mentioned early on that server owners will be able to customize certain things about there servers.

Like having the powers of a dev in your own server, spawning things , building etc.

I do understand how having a 64 man server isn't really great for playing the game as it's meant in the MMO (Playing overr 2 weeks and suffering skill loss.) but I see it more as a mount and blade style game with "battle" mode but with the freedom to build your own things.

One other note is that the map is still quite large just not even close to as massive as the MMO.

Matheuz
Alpha Tester

Post by Matheuz » 29 Aug 2014, 07:40

JakeF wrote:I agree, you should be able to enjoy the game yourself, but would you spend additional money on renting a server with the current LiF:YO setup?

Matheuz wrote:In LiF:YO you can battle.. but no siege. nobody saied you can't fight against your friends.

Perhaps the reason I think more features should be added is:

- The concept of the game is fantastic and
- Perhaps I don't want to participate in a 10,000 player world.
- Instead, I want to pay money so I can enjoy the game with my own friends and create a sort-of smaller, personalized community.

Claiming Land? Well Why would you not need to claim land? If players are joining your server and participating, their progress should be saved.

You can Protect your server with a passwort when you don't want that some strange Guy come and steal something from you..
when you say you want play with your friends.. then protect the server with a passwort..

Tantal
Alpha Tester

Post by Tantal » 29 Aug 2014, 07:49

To sum up an improtant question, because a classical single player mode is missing:

Who will buy the game? How will people play LiF:YO?

Meeting with friends and make some RP?
Having a few guilds on one server and fight each other?
Having a world for your own and be happy?
Training for the MMO?

What will the majority do? Any ideas?

Elindor
True Believer

Post by Elindor » 29 Aug 2014, 16:44

I've asked this before Tantal so I'm curious how people respond here...

I do think that there may be some fundamental issues with the marketability of LiF:YO with it's current features. And isn't the whole point of YO to create revenue and allow the LiF:MMO to continue?

Here's what I think would make a marketable and fun LiF:YO:

- Get a server going with friends
- Survive against the elements (weather/hunger/aggressive wild animals)
- Settle and create a place to live, expand it
- Be OPPOSED by aggressive mobs of some sort (bandits, wolf packs, something) or other players who try to stop you

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 29 Aug 2014, 17:00

Elindor wrote:And isn't the whole point of YO to create revenue and allow the LiF:MMO to continue?

Yes, and I can't see myself playing YO a very long time since I know it will only be the demo version of the final MMO product.

For me it's only another way to continue alpha testing the MMO while the official server isn't up.

JakeF

Post by JakeF » 29 Aug 2014, 19:31

Yes, and I can't see myself playing YO a very long time since I know it will only be the demo version of the final MMO product.

For me it's only another way to continue alpha testing the MMO while the official server isn't up.

THAT is exactly what I'm seeing too.

The reality is: It could be SO much more than that.

If they somehow integrate a "server-owner" managed guild system, (with a maximum of 2 - 3 guilds), it could allow for new players to join and integrate with the existing players in that LiF:YO server.

Bottom line, if they give people who will be renting LiF:YO servers a little more freedom, it could spark a "player-created" side of the game.

Similar freedoms can be seen in games such as: Garry's Mod, Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, Arma 2 and 3, and there are plenty more! This could let server owners have "Gamemodes" of some sort, that focus on specific aspects of the game mixed with customization of map and some script additions.

Baronandy

Post by Baronandy » 13 Sep 2014, 03:01

yeah the yo version should be a bit different from mmo more advanced combat ala chivalery because there is a player limit

and dangerous animals and maybe bandits that attack your structures at night ala the forest, that it make sense to have a nice base to defend yourself better at night

Red
Alpha Tester

Post by Red » 15 Sep 2014, 16:19

You can't please everyone. Period.

This game was/is designed to be an MMO. LiF YO is there to test features that can be used in an MMO, but if you give all the features to YO then you will be shooting the MMO in the leg. Yes, people such as those mentioned in this thread will be left out, but in all honesty there are probably better options for a non-MMO style game.

My only plea is to not shoot the MMO in the leg wherever possible. They need to be careful with how much is put into YO. No need to split resources.
-Ex-Wurmian

Return to Suggestions and Ideas