Connecting to a local dedicated server

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

rezidue
Alpha Tester

Connecting to a local dedicated server

Post by rezidue » 20 Sep 2014, 20:32

I've run into a few problems connecting a local dedicated server. The first issue is that I'm not sure how I should be connecting locally to a private dedicated server. I haven't seen any options in the interface but I did find that if I ran the connect command via console it would connect to my localhost. This was great because I was able to create a character but then it got a little weird trying to join the game. It seemed like I might have joined but I was stuck looking at the main menu like the game was in the background. Is there a different way I should be going about this?

I then decided I'll make the dedicated server advertise on the browser list and use a password to get onto it for testing. I enabled port forwarding on my firewall and was able to find it on the browser. I then tried joining but I'm seeing from the server console that my requests are sourcing from my local IP address and eventually it times out. I figured I would see the connection initiate from my external address because the destination would be external and it would have to route out, nat, and then pass back in. Anyone having any luck running a local dedicated server?

Ractre
Alpha Tester

Re: Connecting to a local dedicated server

Post by Ractre » 20 Sep 2014, 21:43

Hmm. many text, but does forwarding work on the soft server(client ingame server)?

Clockworker

Post by Clockworker » 20 Sep 2014, 22:39

rezidue wrote:I've run into a few problems connecting a local dedicated server. The first issue is that I'm not sure how I should be connecting locally to a private dedicated server. I haven't seen any options in the interface but I did find that if I ran the connect command via console it would connect to my localhost. This was great because I was able to create a character but then it got a little weird trying to join the game. It seemed like I might have joined but I was stuck looking at the main menu like the game was in the background. Is there a different way I should be going about this?

I then decided I'll make the dedicated server advertise on the browser list and use a password to get onto it for testing. I enabled port forwarding on my firewall and was able to find it on the browser. I then tried joining but I'm seeing from the server console that my requests are sourcing from my local IP address and eventually it times out. I figured I would see the connection initiate from my external address because the destination would be external and it would have to route out, nat, and then pass back in. Anyone having any luck running a local dedicated server?

Can you explain how you direct connect?

rezidue
Alpha Tester

Post by rezidue » 21 Sep 2014, 01:28

Clockworker wrote:Can you explain how you direct connect?

I'm running the dedicated client and initially I brought up the console and typed connect and it connected back to my IP but like I said once I created a character and tried to join it seemed to join in the background and left me at the main menu because if I typed connect again it would say already connected.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I create server from the main menu I can't play that server because it just spawns the server? Originally before I looked into a dedicated server I had tried this and thought maybe I Just need to launch a second client to connect back but it wouldn't allow more than one client to run.

Ruckus wrote:Hmm. many text, but does forwarding work on the soft server(client ingame server)?

Sorry, not sure what you mean. Forwarding back into my network form the router/firewall does work. I can see the packets to 28000 and 28002 come back in. (If this sounds weird it's because when I'm using the browser to connect to my own local server it's targeting my external NAT so this is pretty goofy because it's adding multiple layers of nat going out and back into my network instead of me just being able to say 'join server 127.0.0.1'.

Return to General Discussion