Basic Suggestions and Tweaks

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Cruoris

Basic Suggestions and Tweaks

Post by Cruoris » 20 Sep 2014, 18:12

Alright, so I just purchased the game yesterday. At $40 I did have to debate a bit on the purchase but I made the assumption and gave the benefit of the doubt that while it's early access, the concept has great potential. Therefore I went ahead with the decision.

Now, after playing the game I am rather beginning to fall in love. There's just a good atmosphere about the land and the adventure and there's the comforting thought that while not everything is perfect, the game still isn't even finished.

But there are things I would like to see tweaked a bit and I'll list them now:

1. Pouring out soil from inventory - I dislike how I have to equip a specific tool (the shovel) in order to empty something from my inventory. It's rather inconvenient and I see little purpose to this.

2. Death Punishment - This bothers me a fair bit. While I understand the wish to have a serious environment in the game, it's rather disconcerting to peaceful (and new) players to risk losing everything (loot and stat-wise) they've worked for all because a player feels the need to be hostile. For this, I think losing items upon death should depend on a character's alignment. If it's above or below a certain point, then that should dictate the punishments.

While I understand this system is in place for stats, it makes no sense for it not to be in place for loot.

*I understand there was discussion about non-PVP servers being added in, which I like but that brings me to another matter which will be addressed later.*

3. Dueling - Another thing in relation to the death issue I'd like to see placed are duels. I think for those characters.players that wish to have some friendly Pvp dueling would be a good option (it adds a fair amount of Roleplay value as well). Perhaps duels would or wouldn't impact a character's alignment upon victory or defeat (or even issuing a challenge to a duel). There could be various types of dueling such as duels to the death, duels until yielding, etc.

4. Tedious equipment animation - This refers the to five second animation I have to endure while going to equip, say, a pickaxe. Under the attempts of being realistic it makes little sense for it to take so long to equip a hand used item and have a long animation about applying clothing while doing so. Just my thoughts here. Shorten the animation length and change the animation to something more appropriate. It's tedious and bizarre that when I try to equip an axe my character begins to try and wear it all over his body :shock:

5. Server-play - This is what I mentioned above in number two. Server-play. I understand that a lot of this game is meant to be played with other players in mind. I do. But I'll be honest, when I purchased the game, I was a little disappointed to see that the only option of single-player I had was hosting my own private server. I had pictured it to be similar to Mount and Blade's singeplayer/multiplayer system. For me to play on a server alone, it's quite an amount of resource for my computer to use (quite an amount of RAM). My computer can run it fine, that's not my issue. I just wish there was a more simple single-player option to help reduce the strain if it doesn't have to be there. (As far as I know, I don't know anything about this being implemented so if it's planned, please don't rip my head off).

6. Night - Night is a fair bit too dark. Half the time it feels like there is no moon. A slight increase of light (not much) would be nice to make it feel a little more realistic. Another matter about night is that I haven't see any stars (maybe I've just been missing them) but it'd be something neat to add. Minuscule detail but a nice one in my mind.

7. Combat - Seems slightly slow and clunky. I think one of the main reasons is the mouse direction movement required for combat. (which can make combat very fast if you increase sensitivity. Though it may also give you nausea).

For this I would suggest, (for those of us who don't like to whip our camera around every which way) have the attack direction rely on the WASD keys. If I'm holding W, I perform and overhead attack (M&B style I suppose). Though another option that would be really fun and to make combos go much smoother would be to allow us to Hotbar each attack direction to a specific key of our choice. (1 is overhead, 2 is stab, etc.) If this is already possible, again don't rip my head off. I'm still trying to figure out the interface a little.

8. Construction - I love being able to build my own crafts, whether it be tables, houses, or furnaces. But one thing I dislike is that when I go to construct something, I don't see the requirements until the sign is made after. When scrolling through the options of what I can construct it would be nice to have the materials needed listed rather than know them afterward. If I go to build a chair, when I select chair, the materials needed would be displayed either beside the word "Chair" or in a separate pop-out box.
It's a minor tweak. I just prefer knowing the required materials and gathering them beforehand as opposed to beginning and then knowing the materials.

9. Snares - I'm not sure about anyone else, but when I go to set a snare, nothing happens. At all. Nothing on the ground is displayed, nothing pops up in the chat box. Nadda. Hell, I don't even know what exact materials are required to make a snare (I assume plant fiber and branches?). My suggestion here would be to let us know the required materials, give us a display sentence in the chatbox about whether we successfully made a snare or not and have a ground model displayed so we can spot the snare to make it easier to check.

10. NPCs and Settlements - I'd love to see large NPC settlements. Especially if a non-server singeplayer is made. So far I've been on my own private server with no one but my lone self. I believe NPCs would do nothing but make the game better, more immersible, fun and entertaining.

These are just some basic suggestions I feel would help gameplay go a bit more smoothly.

I think the two most important for me would be to implement Dueling and to adjust the Death Punishment system to be more reflective of the character's/player's playstyle.

Thanks for reading! Any feedback or discussion is greatly encouraged and welcomed! :D
In my sword I trust - Ensiferum

Stianos

Re: Basic Suggestions and Tweaks

Post by Stianos » 20 Sep 2014, 19:57

Great suggestions for the most part. I don't think we need NPCs yet, but if server populations are too low they might be something to consider at later stages.

As for your views on combat, I would like the OPTION to change swing direction by using WASD. But, I prefer the mouse-method and so do loads of other people :)

Cruoris

Post by Cruoris » 20 Sep 2014, 20:28

Stianos wrote:Great suggestions for the most part. I don't think we need NPCs yet, but if server populations are too low they might be something to consider at later stages.

As for your views on combat, I would like the OPTION to change swing direction by using WASD. But, I prefer the mouse-method and so do loads of other people :)

Oh, aye, of course. I never meant it to sound as a one or the other kind of deal. It should be optional. Different playstyles for different people. And I would agree about the NPCs on servers. Another possibility is to also just have NPC models and all and allow server hosts to spawn them if they wish using GM commands. Leave the presence of NPCs at the discretion of the server host. Might be an interesting way to do it. Also gives a lot more customization options that way

Cruoris

Post by Cruoris » 21 Sep 2014, 01:57

Just another very good suggestion to add as I just encountered a major problem.

When starting and creating one's own server, always remember to watch where you are clicking. Alas, the server I had been progressing on (all by myself) shall always be remembered.

I suggest having a server delete confirmation box popup when hitting server delete. I also suggest moving the delete button AWAY from the start button...

I was just getting ready to make my anvil and forge and start making some steel weapons... SO CLOSE... Now to start all over.

But seriously, just a simple confirmation and a matter of moving the button away would save this from happening to players.

Prive
True Believer

Post by Prive » 21 Sep 2014, 02:14

Hmm, I think your getting the wrong idea of what the game is supposed to be when it comes to adding in things(like singleplayer and less of a death penalty, and most of the things you want tweaked will probably be tweaked by the time the finished game comes around.

Steps

Post by Steps » 21 Sep 2014, 14:26

No offense man, but most of what you are suggesting, concerning pvp are spot-on carebear suggestions, and should not have any place in this game if it is to thrive.

Peaceful(or new) players should join a group, or learn how to press 5.
Hell, just press shift. The armed player will probably be slower than you.

No, loot should be universal. You have this in and you kill pvp. The 'good' player gets no risk and the 'evil' player gets all the risk with no reward? No.

Night is definitely not too dark. Should be even darker. Make having fire a thing worth having other than esthetics.

Everything else is refering to what you may think of as 'minor tweaks' but actually are things that take time to design and program, it is early alpha and most of the content is probably working under placeholders and placeholder code.
Give it time.

If you don't like pvp though, you should really wait for those non-pvp servers you're refering.

Cruoris

Post by Cruoris » 21 Sep 2014, 17:17

Steps wrote:No offense man, but most of what you are suggesting, concerning pvp are spot-on carebear suggestions, and should not have any place in this game if it is to thrive.

Peaceful(or new) players should join a group, or learn how to press 5.
Hell, just press shift. The armed player will probably be slower than you.

No, loot should be universal. You have this in and you kill pvp. The 'good' player gets no risk and the 'evil' player gets all the risk with no reward? No.

Night is definitely not too dark. Should be even darker. Make having fire a thing worth having other than esthetics.

Everything else is refering to what you may think of as 'minor tweaks' but actually are things that take time to design and program, it is early alpha and most of the content is probably working under placeholders and placeholder code.
Give it time.

If you don't like pvp though, you should really wait for those non-pvp servers you're refering.

I fail to understand how having an alignment system being applied to loot dropped/lost/gained is "carebear", as you say (a most dubious and subjective term). This system is already in place for stats so why would it not be for loot as well? A character with a bad alignment would have all loot dropped, etc. It's not so much carebear as logical. Otherwise there is little point to an alignment system at all.

But alas, I shall be playing on my own server and on the non-pvp ones anyway to avoid such pointless raffle.

The main attraction and lure of this game for me is that it is sandbox RPG-styled. Not the pvp aspect. I enjoy the ability to create my own areas and gear. For the medieval style, there are very few games of this type that allow that, which is disappointing. For a game of this type to pop-up with pure pvp-only aspects, it's rather disappointing to players like myself who aren't wholly interested in going and attacking other players for little point (other than sieges, battles, etc, I see quite a potential with those specific server types being introduced).

AtrocityL
Alpha Tester

Post by AtrocityL » 21 Sep 2014, 17:38

Well this isn't the MMO (the massive game they have been working on) as for private servers for this one you can do as you would like. but I think as far as PvP.. especially pvp it should keep going in the direction it is. Skill loss is significant to alignment, and plays a big part to the good and evil. But nobody should have an up on someone else who chooses a life of killing and pillaging. if you are below -50 alignment anyone can attack/kill that player without taking a penalty to their alignment, so why should they be the only ones to drop loot or most of their loot? seems quite odd, then everyone would be good and gain no reward for war, skirmishes defending your village the list can go on. Why would i attack you if i know if im at the top of my alignment (+) take a penalty to my alignment and loose gear? there would be no war, no fighting. That my friend is not a Feudal Life

Return to Suggestions and Ideas