Need a few things clarified

Welcome to the Life is Feudal: MMO community! Here you can ask your basic starters questions.

Rapscallion

Need a few things clarified

Post by Rapscallion » 26 Sep 2014, 15:07

I'm skeptical about this project as I've bought into alpha projects and been burned before. Coming from Wurm, it does look extremely good though. Still the FAQs fail to answer a few important questions and I'd appreciate if those could be addressed.

• The website sells the game for 35$ but on Steam it's 40$. Are there any differences between the versions? Can you redeem the game on Steam after buying from the website?
  • I plan to host my own dedicated server on one of my VPS boxes. Neither of them run Windows. Is there a Linux version of the server software or is there going to be one in the very near future? I believe this is of paramount importance.
  • I did see a dev (Arrakis I think, nice name BTW) mention that there are plans for a Linux version of the client down the line. From experience I know that devs will say this just to rake in more backers and then forget they ever made that promise. I'd just like to know if you're serious about it.

Will update with more questions as they come up. Thank you for your time.

edit: Just read the steam community forum and found that the dedicated server runs on Windows only. Oh well. I've signed up to the newsletter. I'll back when it's available.

Bobik
Project Leader

Re: Need a few things clarified

Post by Bobik » 26 Sep 2014, 15:58

1. Nope. You will get the same Steam CD key that you will be able to activate on Steam. Price differ only because we have a bigger cut selling our game ourselves, than via Steam.
2. No Linux version unfortunately. But we will do one, once we have enough time and fix most serious bugs and crashes.
3. Yes, we are serious about that. I can even provide you with details. Our current server code can be compiled with GCC, but it contain a lot of templates and aspects that considered as "warning" in Visual studio, but considered as ERROR!!!!!111 in GCC. Nazi correction of all our code will take time, which we can't afford currently.

But our colleagues from other Torque based project report that Linux version runs at least 5% faster, we will surely do that one day.

Rapscallion

Re: Need a few things clarified

Post by Rapscallion » 26 Sep 2014, 16:09

Bobik wrote:1. Nope. You will get the same Steam CD key that you will be able to activate on Steam. Price differ only because we have a bigger cut selling our game ourselves, than via Steam.
2. No Linux version unfortunately. But we will do one, once we have enough time and fix most serious bugs and crashes.
3. Yes, we are serious about that. I can even provide you with details. Our current server code can be compiled with GCC, but it contain a lot of templates and aspects that considered as "warning" in Visual studio, but considered as ERROR!!!!!111 in GCC. Nazi correction of all our code will take time, which we can't afford currently.

But our colleagues from other Torque based project report that Linux version runs at least 5% faster, we will surely do that one day.

Thanks for the clarification regarding the price.

Have you tried compiling with the -fpermissive flag? It instructs GCC to permit errors that other compilers would report as warnings. Sorry if this is overly obvious.

As for the performance improvements, this looks in line with the CS:GO benchmarks I've seen. The GPU drivers have gotten a lot better.

Return to Newcomer Section