Terrible UI

Have some feedback for Life is Feudal? Post it here!

Digger322
Beta Tester

Terrible UI

Post by Digger322 » 24 Sep 2014, 19:12

Overall the UI is way overly complicated and clunky. Having to "tab" simply to look around every time is annoying as well. Its so unintuitive that every persons first question in global chat is "how do I look around?" Please change this "feature". :crazy:

When I prospect, why I can't prospect for all resources possible at the same time? Imagine yourself prospecting land and ignoring all iron and copper simply because you were looking for flint.

When I gather things on the ground, why can't I gather more one thing? Like the prospecting, why should I ignore edible things simply because I'm looking for grass?

I know the intent is to have lots of options, but please rethink how overly complicated you're making things to the point its completely disconnecting users from any kind of experience, most certainly far from anything realistic.

I know this is in alpha, but I can't even scroll through the server list or exit without the game crashing.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Re: Terrible UI

Post by Siegbert » 24 Sep 2014, 19:55

Digger322 wrote:Overall the UI is way overly complicated and clunky. Having to "tab" simply to look around every time is annoying as well. Its so unintuitive that every persons first question in global chat is "how do I look around?" Please change this "feature". :crazy:

Yeah, that's pretty weird. Look around status should be default, mouse mode should only come up on purpose. Right now, if anything happens, like you're being hit at, a window pops up and warns you... You need to click the window away, and then press tab to be able to move again. Meanwhile your opponent is hitting you...

When I prospect, why I can't prospect for all resources possible at the same time? Imagine yourself prospecting land and ignoring all iron and copper simply because you were looking for flint.

When I gather things on the ground, why can't I gather more one thing? Like the prospecting, why should I ignore edible things simply because I'm looking for grass?

Well, why would you collect other stuff when all you want is plant fibre?

I know the intent is to have lots of options, but please rethink how overly complicated you're making things to the point its completely disconnecting users from any kind of experience, most certainly far from anything realistic.

I would agree. It's not really user friendly. While you can do anything you literally have to ask someone for every baby step. Things should be more obvious to the players.

Rathalosx

Post by Rathalosx » 25 Sep 2014, 07:01

Disclaimer: this just feedback, nothing personal.

"Why would you like to gather more than one item if your looking for grass fiber" Is that a real question or a you trolling. Most of the time when I'm looking for plant fiber I'm also looking for other stuff. Same thing with snapping branches of a tree. If I'm looking for tree branches more than likely I will be looking for more than 1 tree branch. It seems that snapping tree branches take longer than cutting down a tree. I don't know if is for the sake of realism or just to be annoying. Great game overall though.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 25 Sep 2014, 08:35

I don't usually troll :D

No, I mean from a realistical stand point: you do one thing at a time. When you're looking for plant fiber to put in your basket you wouldn't put rock or clay into it as well. You would get another basket or have some other person collect it.

Digger322
Beta Tester

Post by Digger322 » 25 Sep 2014, 15:32

How about a compromise?

-Enable an option for "gather all the things" as default.

Then if you'd like to only gather something specific, select that option.

Rhinosaurus

Post by Rhinosaurus » 25 Sep 2014, 17:20

I'd be super asked if I'm trying to collect something and my inventory keeps filling with other stuff and I have to empty it all the time. Both ways can be irritating and tedious. Option is fine I guess.

Shu

Post by Shu » 26 Sep 2014, 00:37

I was about to make a topic about that as well, but since it's here already, I may just add to it.

As already mentioned, the handling of mouse-look to UI-control mode and back is super cumbersome. The message boxes should probably also be removed, instead the chat page that also states what happened should be open by default (or a separate action log).
The whole UI has usability issues throughout, and I hope the devs will spend considerable time on it in the future. The most annoying thing I came across lately was simply leveling a 7x7 square of land for some construction. Switching constantly between observe mode (and therein between mouse-look and cursor mode), memorizing numbers I need to round in my head thanks to almost full float precision display, lower and rise ground and leveling seemed overly complicated and slowed me down a lot.

Add to that, that simple tasks take WAY too long. Shoveling some dirt up shouldn't take much longer than putting it back, and also snapping branches and gathering fiber are waaaaay out of proportion. Here, option sliders would go a long way: Click a tree, slide to "snap 20 branches", have one progress bar fill up, and be done with it. That's how I'd imagine good control.
Side note: Please highlight the set point value when such a slider opens, like when splitting stacks in the inventory. I as a keyboard fan would enjoy not having to select that number with the mouse before I type in my desired amount. Also, I've prayed "home" (spawn in my case) a few times too often because I wanted some number split that contained the digit 7, since the action bars still get inputs when such a slider is open without having manually put the text cursor into a text field. One time right as I needed to put in more fuel for some important smelting, making me lose a lot of wood and heaps of time in the process. (I know I could just have thrown the spell out of by bars, but I didn't really think of it at the time as a potential issue in this regard. It's not really obvious, in my defense.)

Crafting is another point that bothered me: Why do I need to right click a tool to get the appropriate crafting menu? That's overly complicated where it's not needed really. Especially newer players can easily be confused and don't always remember that it was the knife they had to click for making a bow.
A consolidated crafting menu, categorized by craft, listing everything you could make, graying out stuff not reachable because of lack of skill. That would make me happy. Just list the needed tools as a prerequisite alongside the ingredients, and it would be perfect.

I do feel that the UI is one of the most pressing issues right now, since how you make your game available often is even more important than the actual mechanics themselves. Also, a UI should not be a tool in making a game harder. That's for the mechanics to take care of.
Even in alpha, I may add, since I could imagine well that many interested people would be irritated by the UI enough to cease playing and testing all together, eventually forgetting about the game. That would be rather sad, since it looks like awesomesauce in it's infancy!

Rathalosx

Post by Rathalosx » 26 Sep 2014, 04:01

Yes all what the guy said on top of me and also somebody said the don't want a grab all because it'll fill up the inventory but how about a box pop up like when your opening a chest and you grab from there what u need and also depending on skill or the skill tree use. But I'm sure they are working on it.

Jalpha

Post by Jalpha » 26 Sep 2014, 21:01

Better hotkey customisation would go a long way towards making the game easier to play. If I could bind observe and flatten ground to one of the hotbars, or if I could bind gather herbs, plants and edibles to a shared hotbar, I could get more done without spending so much time navigating the sometimes unintuitive menus.

Even being able to set keybinds through the console, similar to Wurm Online, would be helpful.

Some more minor suggestions...

The description at 30 Farming states that it allows all crops to be planted, however the requirement for flax is 90, and this is not mentioned with either skill level.

It would be handy to have system messages categorised and coloured, say skillgain in green, items gained in blue or similar. As it is I spend a lot of time looking for what I want.

It would also be nice if the opacity settings of in-game windows could be separated from those of the window itself.

Return to Feedback Section