First impressions/thoughts

Have some feedback for Life is Feudal? Post it here!

Rapscallion

First impressions/thoughts

Post by Rapscallion » 28 Sep 2014, 14:42

After 15 or so hours of playtime these are the conclusions I've made. The closest game I've played was Wurm so I'll be mostly be comparing LiF with that. I don't know just how much the developers plan to change so bear with me.

1. The skill system is unintuitive and a bit frustrating. I understand that the developers want to promote cooperation over lone wolf play but having to lug around 3 tons of dirt before you can swing your pick at a wall makes very little sense. The skill trees are vaguely related to each other or share a common team but they don't coherently lead into one another.
  2. This also leads to grind walls for insanely tiny things; you need animal bones to pave roads. You need to grind fences to build a stone furnace and anvil. You need to shape rocks so you can build a wooden shacks. I much prefer the approach of letting players try their hand at anything their materials will allow. The tradeoff is that they'll take a while, fail often and end up with crap. Wurm rewarded cooperation but it did not expressly forbid solo play. And all these (often nonsensical) skill walls, coupled with the skill cap, make it hard even for two players to get a nice settlement rolling.
  3. The inventory needs a lot of work. Mouse grab should be limited to the window's border only. It's extremely annoying to grab the window instead of an item especially since many actions require drag and drop and the items have smaller hitboxes than they seem to. That and acquiring multiple items with varying qualities leads to a chaotic mess.
  4. Terraforming is REALLY good. Props on that. The observe tool is extremely useful. Although using the Raise Ground Level action seems pointless when simply dropping the dirt does the same thing but faster and with the same EXP increments. Would be nice to have the ability to stockpile dirt without having to mess up land somewhere though.
  5. Mining on the other hand is frustrating. Trying to find a block of ore only to find that it's directly beneath you. God, hope that gets fixed.
  6. Night gets extremely dark and light sources don't seem to illuminate much. Have to drive up brightness or squint for an hour and a half.

That's all for now. I'll update with more.

Return to Feedback Section