Why do you use database for your game!

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Piratequentin

Why do you use database for your game!

Post by Piratequentin » 28 Sep 2014, 11:33

Hi,
I'm just here to ask why do you use a database to manage ALL data of the game?
Today I went in my game files just to see what is put in database when a map is created, and I found something... hum ... interesting.
70 000 entries in one table :shock:. I think it's a bit too much for a database. And it's maybe why the game is so much laggy. Because the hdd is probably overloaded by all data (terrain modification, trees, and more).
Why don't use your own file with serialized objetcs inside instead of using an huge database? The performance could increase a lot.
If a dev read this, could he answer? I think it could be interesting to see if it's the origin of all lags on servers and clients.

GrimmLiberty

Re: Why do you use database for your game!

Post by GrimmLiberty » 28 Sep 2014, 11:43

security

I'm going to guess will be your answer.

Unlike Unity, and other engines, Torque 3D centers on security for it's network transactions...

But, that said, that is a very SMALL DB.... when I was running a WoW Mangos Emu, I had something like 30-40 players online and that DB had MILLIONS of entries on some of the tables... it ran a smooth as could be.

The real issue is most of the people hosting the servers are Playing on the same machine they are running the Server on AND they have it optimized for gaming and not background programs(i.e. Server Setup) ....

Blame enthusiasm trumping knowledge, if you blame anything.

Chassit

Post by Chassit » 28 Sep 2014, 14:04

I agree with Grimm, I don't have lag issues at all and I do play on a remote dedicated server.
SKULLS FOR THE THRONE OF KHORNE!!!

Piratequentin

Post by Piratequentin » 28 Sep 2014, 14:24

We are playing on a bluefang server and it's impossible to play because we are building a city and we are sometimes 40 players at the same place . And when it happen impossible to finish an action (because there is a bug when terraformers use observe menu)

Shu

Post by Shu » 28 Sep 2014, 14:50

This is very likely due to not yet very optimal net code. 70k entries in a well indexed table is a fart in the wind, really. If you design your DB properly, tables with billions of entries can spew out a selected subset in a matter of a millisecond.
Databases are actually the most sane way of doing games today, and you'd be surprised how many internally do. Not only the servers. There are so called "embedded databases", which are integrated into the game executable, so that games may run their own runtime DBMS for data handling. It's pretty great really, since you use well established and tested code for it, and don't need to reinvent the wheel every time again - very probably in a worse performing / less secure way.

In the case of LiF, I really suspect the net code to be unoptimized, in order to ease debugging and tracing of it probably. I'd do the same thing during development.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas