Being full vs being nourished

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!
Thylbanus

Being full vs being nourished

Post by Thylbanus » 26 Sep 2014, 00:59

I was thinking, if it wasn't too complex, of limiting HOW MUCH we eat. Currently, we eat until our hunger meter is full. I can eat and eat without benefit and never have to stop. If there was a system of being full AND being nourished (i.e. proper foods that benefit the body).

In this way, you have a benefit to quality in food. All food fills you up the same (according to how much), but not all food is nourishing. High quality food will fill you up AND nourish your body. When you work you burn nourishment along with hard stamina. When you eat bad food, it fills you the same, but nourishment will limit you. Nourishment will set how quickly your stamina burns, both hard and soft.

With a hunger meter filled up, you can stil TRY to eat, but the more you go "over" your hunger, the better the chance you regurgitate. Regurgitation will burn your hard stamina until you stop throwing up. You will have to rest until it returns and you will be hungry again since it will void your stomach.

Anyway, it's not my two cents. This was actually suggested by a coworker who let me talk his ear off about LiF. I fleshed out the mechanics. Hopefully it will be food for thought.

Cheers :beer:

Monxer

Re: Being full vs being nourished

Post by Monxer » 26 Sep 2014, 01:13

I'm not really seeing the benefit to gameplay here

The fact they added a food multiplier based on the quality was already a step further than they really needed to take it, this I think would just make the whole hunger system more complicated without any good reason

Dods

Post by Dods » 26 Sep 2014, 17:48

I see it as an excellent reason. Harder to recover from physical exertion if you are malnourished. You can be full and malnourished. Basically, real food with real nutrients lasts longer. I don't see how that isn't different from real life or the obvious benefit?

So if you lose hard stamina faster while malnourished, those who are nourished will have inherently better skill gain due to a difference in hard stamina loss.

Win/win and realism. +1 to OP idea.

Llandy

Post by Llandy » 26 Sep 2014, 22:48

isnt that why they added a food multiplier and the farmers ability to cook food that grants various benefits?

Thylbanus

Post by Thylbanus » 27 Sep 2014, 00:36

Llandy wrote:isnt that why they added a food multiplier and the farmers ability to cook food that grants various benefits?

What's wrong with taking it one step further? I mean if it's feasible in the engine and doesn't overcomplicate things. I like my realism and since they introduced the hunger system, why not make it more of a thinking situation. Sure the multipliers are nice (the brain needs food, too), but having direct impact to your health is more immersive.

Llandy

Post by Llandy » 27 Sep 2014, 14:58

Oh there is nothing wrong with taking it further especially if its doable :D

GioEpyon

Post by GioEpyon » 27 Sep 2014, 22:51

is there any thirsty meter on the game? should be even more realistic with it, more immersive and there is another use to the water other than recipes.

Thylbanus

Post by Thylbanus » 28 Sep 2014, 00:31

GioEpyon wrote:is there any thirsty meter on the game? should be even more realistic with it, more immersive and there is another use to the water other than recipes.

I quite agree with this. Hunger and thirst should go hand in hand. Inebriation, as well.

GioEpyon

Post by GioEpyon » 28 Sep 2014, 10:07

I was thinking about giving importance to food and water (and why not alcohol) and a illness feature could be implemented. For example, if you only eat meat for several -hr/days- you get a -illness- that lower you stats for a certain amount of -time-. If you don't take care of yourself with -herbalism/alchemy items- and change your diet, you could even die and have the following skill loss concequences. This can be also "mixed" with the different climate areas that devs want to implement later. Doing so people would avoid cold areas because it's easier to get a cold/flu BUT as widely known, cold areas are surrounded with mountains and inside the mountains we found lots of ores. In another escenario, people would avoid forest areas because of (fucking) mosquitoes BUT as well known the forest is rich of wood and beasts.

Don't tell me it's a bad idea, cuz life is feudal!

Dods

Post by Dods » 30 Sep 2014, 17:24

GioEpyon wrote:I was thinking about giving importance to food and water (and why not alcohol) and a illness feature could be implemented. For example, if you only eat meat for several -hr/days- you get a -illness- that lower you stats for a certain amount of -time-. If you don't take care of yourself with -herbalism/alchemy items- and change your diet, you could even die and have the following skill loss concequences. This can be also "mixed" with the different climate areas that devs want to implement later. Doing so people would avoid cold areas because it's easier to get a cold/flu BUT as widely known, cold areas are surrounded with mountains and inside the mountains we found lots of ores. In another escenario, people would avoid forest areas because of (fucking) mosquitoes BUT as well known the forest is rich of wood and beasts.

I think your system is massively complicated. I'd love your system but programmatically I doubt they would implement such a system. We do not have a basic system in place yet due to 90% (opinion) of the current systems not functioning at all.

GioEpyon

Post by GioEpyon » 30 Sep 2014, 18:53

patience my young padawan!!! xD

Thylbanus

Post by Thylbanus » 01 Oct 2014, 19:49

Dods wrote:
GioEpyon wrote:I was thinking about giving importance to food and water (and why not alcohol) and a illness feature could be implemented. For example, if you only eat meat for several -hr/days- you get a -illness- that lower you stats for a certain amount of -time-. If you don't take care of yourself with -herbalism/alchemy items- and change your diet, you could even die and have the following skill loss concequences. This can be also "mixed" with the different climate areas that devs want to implement later. Doing so people would avoid cold areas because it's easier to get a cold/flu BUT as widely known, cold areas are surrounded with mountains and inside the mountains we found lots of ores. In another escenario, people would avoid forest areas because of (fucking) mosquitoes BUT as well known the forest is rich of wood and beasts.

I think your system is massively complicated. I'd love your system but programmatically I doubt they would implement such a system. We do not have a basic system in place yet due to 90% (opinion) of the current systems not functioning at all.

The game isn't even a Gig. It can handle it. It handles the alchemy.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas